OT: Issues with audio on HTPC

pmac

I know this doesn't involve MB3, but since it involves my HTPC and this is by far the most helpful forum (of any topic) I've ever been a member on, I thought I'd post it here, in the general discussion.

This has been a problem for me ever since I first set up my machine, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is...

First, my setup:

• HTPC connected to audio receiver (Sony STR-DN610) via HDMI
  • Audio receiver connected to TV (Panasonic 65GT30) via HDMI
  • Have tried with HDAVI both turned on, and off, and I'm getting the same results

My issue is, sometimes (seems to happen randomly, as in; not every time I do this) when my TV/Receiver gets turned off, or I change inputs; when I get back to my HTPC input I have the speaker icon with a red "X" on it in the corner and the tooltip displays "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" and I get no audio.

This forces me to reset the computer, and since this is my main HTPC (the one that runs the server) it can be a major annoyance, not just for me having to restart my computer, but to anyone else that might happen to be watching anything somewhere else in the house since they lose connection to the server.

I figure it's got something to do with the fact that when my receiver turns off or changes inputs, somehow my computer thinks there is no audio device connected, but even when I switch back to the HTPC input the computer doesn't see an audio device has been re-connected.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, or if there is a way for me to fix/work around this problem, since it's quite annoying having to reset my computer 75% of the time I switch to another input (ie. game system, satellite, etc.)

Thanks,

Patrick

I also have this issue, but not nearly as much as it sounds like you are. Most of the time, just "logging off" (in Windows 7) then logging back in will fix it (as opposed to a full reset). Sometimes though I also have to reboot, which is a pain; I've yet to find a true solution to this.

@@Tansill, I haven't tried logging off, unfortunately that isn't a whole lot faster than just restarting the computer, and it still has the problem of disconnecting the server, since I don't run it as a service (I found it was slow when running as a service for some reason). @@WarrenH, that looks like it's meant for people losing video output from HDMI, I may still give it a shot though, I just wish there was a proper fix for this problem, and not a "band-aid" fix...

EDIT: @@Tansill, just tried logging off, and back on. Didn't fix the issue...

Edited by pmac

newfiend

I use this if my HDMI connected devices get out of "sync" and you loose audio. http://mymce.wordpress.com/2010/10/24/hdmiyo/ it resets the the handshake between all hdmi connected devices and re-enables the audio. Another permanent solution you can implement is a gefen HDMI detective plus. It tricks the PC into thinking the handshake is "always present" even when it is not and stops the loss of audio and the need to refresh the handshake.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I tried HDMIYo, and that didn't help either. I'm currently re-installing updated drivers from AMD, hopefully this helps... I'll report back what I find.

From my searches, it seems it's an extremely common issue people are having when they are connected to an A/V receiver or HDTV via HDMI, I'm surprised the manufacturers haven't fixed this problem long ago.

Just installed the newest audio drivers from AMD, and my sound started working again without a reset. Hopefully this fixed the problem. If I don't report back here in the future, it's because I haven't lost my audio again, and the new drivers fixed the problem.