Search include folder names

happpyg

happpyg

Would it be possible if there is enough support to add the ability to include folder names in searches? 

I have a Home photos and videos library of 100k items spread over 1000 folders and 20+ years. 

Folders are sorted into years and given descriptive folder names but sometimes it is hard to remember where/when some photos were taken and would be great to just quickly search for that folder? 

Even if this feature was just for home photos and videos, not really needed for movies/music etc?

Thanks!

• Like 3

Would it be possible if there is enough support to add the ability to include folder names in searches? 

I have a Home photos and videos library of 100k items spread over 1000 folders and 20+ years. 

Folders are sorted into years and given descriptive folder names but sometimes it is hard to remember where/when some photos were taken and would be great to just quickly search for that folder? 

Even if this feature was just for home photos and videos, not really needed for movies/music etc?

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind this also, don't have quite as large a collection but I do have all my travel photos from the last 10 years in there, would be nice to be able to search for a name and have it come up. E.g. have been to lots of locations numerous times so it would be good to be able to search US or Canada and it come up with all the folders just for those locations.

thanks

RJ

I have a couple of hesitations with this but they may be able to be worked around:

1) I think we'd have to restrict this to certain types (like just photos) and only look maybe one level up for the folder.  Otherwise many searches could return your entire library (by matching some portion of a common parent folder)

2) It could make the search feature look random and like it really isn't working as items would match that don't appear to have any relationship to the string that was searched.

• Like 2

funwithmedia

I have a couple of hesitations with this but they may be able to be worked around:

1) I think we'd have to restrict this to certain types (like just photos) and only look maybe one level up for the folder.  Otherwise many searches could return your entire library (by matching some portion of a common parent folder)

2) It could make the search feature look random and like it really isn't working as items would match that don't appear to have any relationship to the string that was searched.

I agree -- those are valid concerns.

My suggestion would be to give the user the option to define how many levels up to include (1-999 should be plenty of range), and let user also decide which libraries to apply it to (because if you hard-code either of those you'll still end up with folks wanting further control/exceptions).

For (2) this could be mitigated partly by including a short notice along the lines of "Some of these results are matching only by folder path" whenever that is the case. Then the user can have some idea as to why some results might seem surprising.

Having said all that, I'm not currently majorly invested one way or the other in this particular feature, so I'm just offering thoughts to be helpful. :)

happpyg

Thanks guys, I agree that this would only apply to photos and videos, I can't see any real reason anywhere else and this is the only library type I would use it for.

I would imagine for #2 to keep it simple a result could just be a solid coloured block with the folder name (minus full path) overlayed like any other search where there was no artwork?

I understand this is probably not a big feature for the majority of users but for me it would be a huge plus.  Currently when showing photos at home I switch back to my WMC PC and use windows explorer to find photos (by folder name), this would make it so much easier to quickly find photos from a particular event all from within Emby.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Kaskadeur111

Hello,

I need to say the folowing points it with a little disappointment (i know Emby is free and i appreciate your work, no doubt.)

At first: Emby is GREAT for Home Videos and Transcoding, streaming etc. BUT:

Photo's:

January 2018 now(!)

- Still no Folder search. (How in the World shall i find my Photos (2017-12-15) that are organized in NAMED Folders)

- Still sorting issues (Folder names with "-" or "spaces" are sorted wrong.

- Still no possibility to safe sorting settings (everytime i search for fotos i need to click on sort, pick "Date" and click descending to see the newest photos on top) <- the complete folder reloads 2 or three times in the background during this process)

- Still no Tag search (What are they used for when not for searching/filtering?)

January 2018 now. Still Emby is pretty much useless as a photo library

And all we get to hear is "It is planned for the future" since about 1 to 1,5 years now :-(

Emby could easyly be the hardest Plex Competitor out there if it would deliver the full package including Photo library (This is a big plex weak spot too!!)

Yours sincerely

Jens

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
happpyg

Hi @@Luke,

I see in 3.2.70 photos are now included in searches, this is awesome and thanks for implementing however I was hoping to be able to search by folder name, or am I missing something in 3.2.70, i've tried but no results come up? 

Most of my photos retain the default camera name of IMG_xxxx or whatever camera default naming convention however I do sort them into folders and give the folder a meaningful name.

ie 

2017\Holidays\holiday to xyz

2017\Holidays\trip to abc

2017\xxx Birthday

2018\Family reunion

2018\random pics

That is a simple example, I have 15+ years worth of photos, many folders and often folders are nested 2-3 levels deep so remembering where a particular event happened can take a little while to find, it would be awesome to be able to just search for say "birthday" and find all folders that contain that text in them?

Cheers!

Aaron

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
megamacx

+1

I agree with including folder names in the search. Very few people might take the time to put meaningful names to their pictures (since is extremely tedious). It is MUCH easier to organize them by folders. However, with this approach, a search that doesn't include folder names won't return anything useful (unless you expect someone to remember that "DSC05627.jpg" was the time where your dog played in the snow in 2011..  :rolleyes:)

Edited by megamacx
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
happpyg

Hey @@Luke, I see in 3.4 searches now include photo folder names as requested here, Thankyou!!!  

My question is, when I perform a search, any folders containing the search text are listed in the results under "Photo Albums" however when I click on one of those results it does not take me to a thumbnail list of photos, instead it takes me to another screen where I have the option to Play/Shuffle.... etc and there is some text with "Items" there but nothing underneath it.  Is there a setting somewhere or the ability to click on the result and go straight to that folder with the thumbnails like it would do if you were browsing through the folders in your photo library?

Screenshots below, searched for "shark b" clicked on "Shark Bay & Exmouth Sep 2005" and it took me to the second screenshot instead of a thumbnail list of pics in that folder.

Thanks again!

Aaron

5aeac74900be5_screenshot1.png

5aeac7a64f0f7_screenshot2.png

• 10 months later...

I really would like to see the Folder Search to include Music Folders as well. Is this planned anytime soon?

Hi there, can you please describe what you mean in more detail? thanks.

brintal

Hi there, can you please describe what you mean in more detail? thanks.

Of course. I have a big music library which is organized on my filesystem like that: /music/artist/album/songBla.mp3

Organizing the music using the ID3 Metadata is not creating good enough results because either ID3 information is missing or is simply difficult because of the type os music (classical music e.g. where there is a composer and an orchestra).

Luckily Emby allows to order a library with its "Folder View". This works perfectly for me cause it displays the music exactly how it is organized on the Filesystem.

Unfortunately if I use the search function, I cannot search for these folders, only for artist or album. This sometimes gives the desired result (if the ID3 information is sufficient), but sometimes it doesn't. It would be nice if emby would show the exact folders which match my search in the search results.