Emby App not listed in Smarthub for Model UN50J6200

Joe Canas

Joe Canas

Hi,

I have the Samsung TV Model: UN50J6200AFXZA with the latest firmware update (version 1026.1).
Why is the Emby App not listed in it's SmartHub?
Joe

CBers

It's only currently available in the US and not necessarily for J Series TV's.

Where are you in the world?

• Like 1

I believe that is what Samsung calls one of their "entry-level" TVs and they haven't approved the app for those yet.

• Like 1

Joe Canas

@ CBer's: I'm located in Miami, FL. And Emby documentation on this website does not state any limitations on the J series TV not being able to have Emby as a choice in it's App listing.

Too many inconsistencies and or not accurate documentation. Take your pick.

@ edr: So when WILL Samsung approve it? And what's the difference if it's an entry-level TV or not. It's running Tizen, that should be good enough. Might it be a limitation on what they put in the TV's relative to the hardware (i.e. CPU, Memory, etc)?

FrostByte

@ CBer's: I'm located in Miami, FL. And Emby documentation on this website does not state any limitations on the J series TV not being able to have Emby as a choice in it's App listing.

Too many inconsistencies and or not accurate documentation. Take your pick.

@ edr: So when WILL Samsung approve it? And what's the difference if it's an entry-level TV or not. It's running Tizen, that should be good enough. Might it be a limitation on what they put in the TV's relative to the hardware (i.e. CPU, Memory, etc)?

It's not always good enough to just be running Tizen though because not all SDK/APIs are supported on every Tizen TV set.  Some of the lower end TVs do not support all the cool things a Premium set does, which is why the entry level sets have to be tested separately.

For more information you can look at

http://developer.samsung.com

Joe Canas

Thanks for your reply FrostByte.

Any idea if the Samsung TV Model: UN50J6200AFXZA will ever be tested to support Emby or has this "testing" already been completed?

Hm.. It seems that Emby runs on only a few sets? I tried to look at different TV sets where Emby is available and none of the ones I tried worked.

Here is a sample on Samsung's TV App website.

58819d5e78851_Capture.jpg

Joe Canas

Well, after further checking Samsung's TV App store, it too determined that there were no device that are compatible, yet it has the app listed only when it's not filtered by a specific TV model.

Here is what I saw as the reply: I seems no one has updated their website that has a complete listing of compatible Samsung TV's supporting Emby.

So as a consumer, they would not be able to make an informed decision regarding Emby compatibility when selecting a specific model before buying it. 

58819f77bf94a_Capture.jpg

Hi @@Joe Canas, it is really supposed to be all tizen models, it's just that for some reason there are a couple that are excluded and yours is one of them.

I believe even though your model is named Tizen, it actually runs Orsay apps which is the older Samsung framework. I have sent an email to Samsung developer support asking them to confirm this. They're usually pretty quick to respond. I will update when I have more information. Thanks !

• Like 1

FrostByte

According to this chart the J6200 is Tizen, not that Samsung hasn't ever been wrong before :)  Some entry level J-series are Orsay though so it's possible.  You shouldn't be seeing the Tizen app store though if it is Orsay

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specification/tv-model-lineup

Edited by FrostByte

I got an answer, and indeed we have to create an Orsay version. That means your TV is actually using the older app framework despite being marketed as Tizen.

Creating an Orsay version is something we may consider in the future. Thanks.

CBers

There already is one, don't forget.

Can that not be submitted and see what comes out of it?

There already is one, don't forget.

Can that not be submitted and see what comes out of it?

Well the question is which of the two apps. We already know the Samsung review process is difficult, they test everything. It's not just about bugs, it's also about design compliance and things of that nature. So in order to release Cmcg's app on Orsay, we'd have to go through that entire process from the beginning again, and Cmcg has already said he does not have the time for that. On the other hand we've already been through that pain with Theater, so it's mainly Orsay compatibility that we'd have to look at.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I got an answer, and indeed we have to create an Orsay version. That means your TV is actually using the older app framework despite being marketed as Tizen.

Them bastards, even the developers page is wrong then! :)  I sort of figured they would say that though because the pics in the link for the Samsung J6200 look to be the old Orsay SmartTV hub and icons I saw on my 2014 TV

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/full-hd-tvs/led-j6200-series-smart-tv-65-class-64-5-diag-un65j6200afxza/

If it's Orsay then the old app should work, though maybe not tested on J-series sets in the emulator by cmcg

CBers

If it's Orsay then the old app should work, though maybe not tested on J-series sets in the emulator by cmcg

Does the latest emulator for Orsay include entry-level J Series TV's?

how to install emby via usb stick? there is a way to alternative install?  why emby is banned from samsung smurt hub?

We're not banned from anywhere it just takes time :)

• Like 1

Does the latest emulator for Orsay include entry-level J Series TV's?

The app works in the latest emulator (SDK5.1) but I don't know whether that version specifically targets J-series Orsay models.  Having said that, I've added J52xx and J62xx models to the supported list for the next release.

I also have it working on the 2016 4K blu-ray player (UBD-K8500) so I expect it should work fine on these J-series

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Canas
Hi SamES,

Well, the app installed and worked, however, the Samsung TV’s (Model UN50J6200) processor and memory could hardly render the movie for only maybe 30 seconds before it stops with a message indicating that it was loading with a percent next to it on the upper right hand corner of the screen.

I tried both MKV and MP4 movies. Some were hi-res, some were low-res. Either way the scenario depicted above were all the same irrespective of movie resolution.

It did allow to play music without interruption though, it took a long time to get to the music section because the screen renderings were slow.

The problem is not the App per se. I think it’s the TV, it has inferior internal CPU and slow memory.

When I attach my laptop via HDMI and just use the TV as a monitor, everything plays (both movies and music) without a hitch.

The main obstacle here are the TV manufactures. They will need to fit high-end CPU’s and memory. Even provide imbedded SSD to allow downloading content locally.

Wishful thinking –right?

And thanks for sending me the link to allow me to test (or at least to play around with it) the App.  :)

Regards,

Joe Canas, PMP®, CSM

Are you connected via wired or wireless network?  This sounds like a slow network connection issue, especially with long playback start delays.

I expect that if these same files play OK via USB then I hope it should not be a processor/memory problem, but I suppose it is always possible.