Roku Beta - FR - Video Stats

econ

Can we add the video stats to the new beta that the official roku app has? I like to know when a video is transcoding vs direct play, resolution, etc.

47c3a178087176ad1c6963f528760d34.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe this is already there.  The video resolution and the audio specifics are shown on the OSD and, if you turn on the debug options, it will show you if it is transcoding or not as well.

Lane03

I believe this is already there. The video resolution and the audio specifics are shown on the OSD and, if you turn on the debug options, it will show you if it is transcoding or not as well.

Awesome! I had no idea debug enabled that, I figured it was just to send logs.

Lane03

I believe this is already there.  The video resolution and the audio specifics are shown on the OSD and, if you turn on the debug options, it will show you if it is transcoding or not as well.

Does debug mode add a fair amount of background processes? On my 1080p and 4k RokuTV's navigation and loading are noticeably slower with debug mode on. Ideally I'd like to keep the direct play/transcode information on the OSD and not sacrifice performance. 

1080p Roku TV: 

• Debug off: 25 seconds from clicking Emby to movie resumed from continue watching list.
  • Debug on: 40 seconds for same as above
Edited by Lane03

Does debug mode add a fair amount of background processes? On my 1080p and 4k RokuTV's navigation and loading are noticeably slower with debug mode on. Ideally I'd like to keep the direct play/transcode information on the OSD and not sacrifice performance. 

1080p Roku TV: 

• Debug off: 25 seconds from clicking Emby to movie resumed from continue watching list.
  • Debug on: 40 seconds for same as above

Yes, debug mode does have overhead associated with it.

Why do you feel you need to know the playback method on every playback?  If the item is playing properly, is that not good enough?

Lane03

Yes, debug mode does have overhead associated with it.

Why do you feel you need to know the playback method on every playback?  If the item is playing properly, is that not good enough?

I think it's useful information, just like knowing the resolution and audio format. Sometimes a video might not look as good as I think it should or it might stutter and it's nice to be able to simply push a button and find out if it's direct playing or if transcoding. Even if a video is playing perfect, if I knew it was being transcoded I would hold off on having the server do some other CPU intensive process during that time. Without this, my options are to walk across the house and check the server or; stop the movie, turn on debug mode, exit the app, relaunch the app, and then resume the movie and check the OSD. Plex (old and new) displays this info on their OSD, as did the previous Emby. I hope you will consider making it the default or adding an option to display it without the added overhead of the debug mode.

• Like 2

econ

I agree with @@Lane03 -- this is one piece that is missing from the app.  The blue neon app provides a wealth of information about the video and has since expanded on what it shows since my original post.  I would like to see something similar, possibly within the OSD or the * menu.

• Like 1

Lane03

I agree with @@Lane03 -- this is one piece that is missing from the app.  The blue neon app provides a wealth of information about the video and has since expanded on what it shows since my original post.  I would like to see something similar, possibly within the OSD or the * menu.

I would suggest not using the * method, as that causes issues with newer Roku's.

• 3 months later...

If you have a phone or tablet with the emby app, then you can check the server dashboard within the app to at least see whether the media is transcoding or direct playing for the device(s).

Happy2Play

If you have a phone or tablet with the emby app, then you can check the server dashboard within the app to at least see whether the media is transcoding or direct playing for the device(s).

Right, but the previous app had easy access to this information by clicking OK the remote.  Which is a lot easier then opening the dashboard on another device.

Edited by Happy2Play

Right, but the pervious app had easy access to this information by clicking OK the remote.  Which is a lot easier then opening the dashboard on another device.

My previous comment was meant as a alternative/response to comment #10 since it beats walking across the house and checking the server to see if media is transcoding or direct playing.

I think it's useful information, just like knowing the resolution and audio format. Sometimes a video might not look as good as I think it should or it might stutter and it's nice to be able to simply push a button and find out if it's direct playing or if transcoding. Even if a video is playing perfect, if I knew it was being transcoded I would hold off on having the server do some other CPU intensive process during that time. Without this, my options are to walk across the house and check the server or; stop the movie, turn on debug mode, exit the app, relaunch the app, and then resume the movie and check the OSD. Plex (old and new) displays this info on their OSD, as did the previous Emby. I hope you will consider making it the default or adding an option to display it without the added overhead of the debug mode.