Recording conflicts

obrienmd

obrienmd

A few questions about recording conflicts using the built-in DVR functionality (love it so far, by the way, makes Emby Premiere more than worth it!):

1) If I have 3 1-hour shows recording at 8:00pm, and 1 30-minute show set to record at 8:30pm, and I have 3 tuners (HDHR-Prime with CableCard), how does Emby handle that? I would expect it, coming from MythTV, to mark that 4th one as a conflict, and set it to record at the next available showing.

1a) Is there something in the UI that shows recording conflicts?

2) How does Emby handle pre- and post-roll? I have it set to 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after right now, but I will cut that to zero if it would affect recordings before or after the current one).

maegibbons

HI

AFAIAA there is no conflict resolution like that at the moment.  The last recording will retry every minute in the window to see if there is a tuner availble but will ultimately fail.

The other thing I want is the option to cancel any live tv streaming and release tuner to recording if a recording is scheduled.  It is common in our household for a tuner to be still playing on a switched off TV (through a Fire tv).  The tuner should be grabbed for the recording as a priority over live tv.

This i believe is all niceties that will come in the fullness of time sometime down the development road.

Krs

Mark

About padding, the tuner sharing feature that we have will help eliminate conflicts created by padding.

obrienmd

About padding, the tuner sharing feature that we have will help eliminate conflicts created by padding.

Is this a current feature I can see? If so, where does it live in the menus? I Googled around a bit and reviewed the UI, didn't see anything.

Is this a current feature I can see? If so, where does it live in the menus? I Googled around a bit and reviewed the UI, didn't see anything.

If you are talking about tuner sharing, it is automatic.  There is nothing to configure or turn on.

blade005

obrienmd,

Tuner sharing is a really nice feature using HDHomerun Tuners in Emby. There is nothing to configure.

LIVE TV FEATURE:

What it does allow is for the same Live TV channel to be shared by multiple users simultaneously with only one tuner being used. So, if you have a client running with a Live TV channel streaming and someone else on the network requests the same Live TV channel at the same time, it will stream to them using the same tuner. It won't tie up a second tuner.

RECORDING FEATURE:

What I consider an even better use of it is for recording and how it manages pre and post padding settings.  If you have 2 minutes pre and 3 minutes post padding set for recordings and you are recording the same channel back to back, tuner sharing manages this quite nicely. Your first recording will record thru to 3 minutes post setting and your next recording scheduled on the same channel will begin 2 minutes early while only using the one tuner in your system. You don't have to be frustrated with missing the beginning or ending of a recording later if you don't watch them in the order they aired.

Managing / Reporting actual recording conflicts is not something that Emby currently offers, but with tuner sharing capability, it does reduce how often it may occur.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Ok, so I'm going to test this, right now. No indication of conflict, in the UI. I'll see what happens at time of recording

587a9e65021a7_Snapshot_435.jpg

587a9e7dd762e_Snapshot_436.jpg

Guest asrequested

Recording has started, and is just simply recording three of the four. At no point was a notification given that there was a conflict. Had I not refreshed the page, and seen this, (which still doesn't truly indicate that one show isn't being recorded) you would have no idea. There should be some notification, somewhere, somehow. Special Victims is not being recorded

587aa162adaf2_Snapshot_439.jpg

Edited by Doofus

obrienmd

I'm just removing pre- and post-roll, I think we have enough different recordings in prime-time on different channels that it probably hurts. I may add another set of 3 tuners at some point.

One thing MythTV did that I loved was allow multiple channels to recorded from the same tuner if they were multiplexed together on the same QAM channel (I think that's the right way to say it). There, I believe, has been some discussion here about that, hoping it's a feature in the future!

Best,

Recording has started, and is just simply recording three of the four. At no point was a notification given that there was a conflict. Had I not refreshed the page, and seen this, (which still doesn't truly indicate that one show isn't being recorded) you would have no idea. There should be some notification, somewhere, somehow. Special Victims is not being recorded

Yes, but, as stated previously, this is simply something we haven't gotten to yet.  It is a far-reaching piece of work that impacts every single app and interface.

lifespeed

This seems to be a subject I have questions about, so rather than create a new thread:  Why does Emby show the scheduled recordings without the pre- and post-roll time buffers of 1 minute as specified.  Also, in the web UI, it appears to offer the user to change these for a single airing of the series (change to 0 minutes pre/post, for example to reduce tuner conflicts).  When I change from 1 minute to 0 minute time buffer I do not see the change reflected in the scheduled record times.  In this example I have a single HDHR4-US with two tuners.

On Tuesday 1/17 the show "The Mick" should start 1 minute before at 8:29 PM as I have pre/post roll set to default to 1 minute.  Shows on later dates are also not indicating the 1 minute pre-roll in the schedule.

post-44858-0-15023900-1484587879_thumb.png

That's correct we are showing the display time of the program. Hadn't thought about incorporating the padding into that.

maegibbons

IMHO you shouldnt.

The times should be the scheduled times.  Padding can only be added IF IT CAN.  The schedule is what it is a Schedule as per all tv listings.

Krs

Mark

pünktchen

IMHO you shouldnt.

The times should be the scheduled times. Padding can only be added IF IT CAN. The schedule is what it is a Schedule as per all tv listings.

Krs

Mark

I totally agree!

lifespeed

IMHO you shouldnt.

The times should be the scheduled times.  Padding can only be added IF IT CAN.  The schedule is what it is a Schedule as per all tv listings.

Krs

Mark

I don't agree.  If one is looking at the schedule with an eye to identifying recording conflicts, the displayed information is not helpful if it does not show the actual times it will attempt to record.  Further, there appears to be (not sure it works) the option to alter the buffer time per episode to alleviate these issues on a case-by-case basis.  Again, this information is lost.

If there is a conflict, and padding can't be added, it will be seen in the scheduled times.  It is a clear way to communicate what will happen and the presence/absence of conflicts.

FWIW, commercial DVRs from The Cable Company behave as I have described.  If my memory is correct, Windows Media Center did the same thing.

Edited by lifespeed

Guest asrequested

I think there is some merit to the idea of including the padding time. Unless there is implicit understanding that if a conflict occurs due to padding, the padding will automatically be revoked to resolve the conflict.

• Like 1

I think there is some merit to the idea of including the padding time. Unless there is implicit understanding that if a conflict occurs due to padding, the padding will automatically be revoked to resolve the conflict.

I believe that is the case as the system will keep trying to record until a tuner becomes available.  Given that, I think including the padding would be more confusing than anything...

Guest asrequested

I believe that is the case as the system will keep trying to record until a tuner becomes available. Given that, I think including the padding would be more confusing than anything...

I had forgotten that the server continually tries to record. So I too, agree.