Need Mobo/Proc upgrade advice

punchycool

punchycool

Connecting a cable is the easiest way. This is only if you need to transcode. If it's direct playing, it won't matter

Ahhh ok.

Watching this thread with interest.

My recent server build (i5-6600k, Asus B150M-A/M.2 board) is currently connected to my TV but was intended to be headless (plans to use a cheap player box failed; haven't replaced it, just stuck the server next to my AVR). I don't transcode much but if I did I wonder if I'd notice a difference if it were headless (and not using a dummy monitor plug).

I just noticed the i5 7th generation are now available for just a few bucks more than what I paid for my 6600; sigh. I knew it would happen but I'm always wistful when I see it!

Marc

Guest asrequested

I just noticed the i5 7th generation are now available for just a few bucks more than what I paid for my 6600; sigh. I knew it would happen but I'm always wistful when I see it!

Marc

And they have the HD 630 GPU...I was looking at them, too. 

Guest asrequested

...wonders if wife would notice me buying another processor and swapping out the old 4th gen in my main desktop PC...

lol...will that board support it? 

Guest asrequested
  • Like 1

lol...will that board support it?

No. It would mean new board, probably new memory... Maybe new M2 drive to take advantage... :-)

Not worth it. Actually all my systems are speced higher than I strictly need. Next buy will be a small TV box once I find a good one that is cheap enough and powerful enough with solid HD audio running Windows.