Show Collection as Library toggle.

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Say I have a custom collection of 56 Christmas movies. During the Holiday Season, I would like to show this on the main page as a Library. Now, I could make a drive folder called "Christmas" and put these movies in that folder. However, now we're getting away from using metadata for organization and moving back to using folders for organization. Something you've spent the last few years trying to get away from.

So each collection should have a toggle to show it as a library on the Home Page. Then people can make collections for Christmas, Halloween, Summer Romance, Summer Slasher Films, whatever and show them on the front page where they are easily accessible. Don't want to show it anymore, switch the toggle off. 

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 34
  • Agree 5

MrWebsmith

this is a great idea.. i would also have sort of "temporary uses" for promoting a subset of media easily on/off

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
aspdend

+1 for me on this - I have all my Christmas films tagged with 'Christmas' and search for them by Genre currently- this would be a big improvement!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
BaiGanJia
On 1/14/2017 at 12:20 AM, Luke said:

It's a nice idea.

@Luke @ebr

Do you really care about what users really want?

Products should try to cater to users, so as to retain users,

but now users put forward so many valuable suggestions, you don't take it seriously,

I doubt whether you are really working hard in the direction of giving us a better  emby.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Byebye said:

@Luke @ebr

but now users put forward so many valuable suggestions, you don't take it seriously,

I doubt whether you are really working hard in the direction of giving us a better  emby.

Hi, everything that we do is driven by user feedback. I can see this one has a lot of support and I would expect that we'll have something for it in future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1

visproduction

Options: CSS styles and UI - User experience for this feature?  Deciding on styles and UI ahead of time, is really a nice way to develop code.  Going back to add another feature, after a release, can sometimes double the development time.

Which of these features does everyone like?

Does anyone feel like adding mockups?

Do you have another style or User experience?  Add new ideas tagged with the next number, '13', so it's easy for people to mention which ideas they like.  Coding a GUI for this would be a lot of work.  Perhaps, just making unique div names to let custom CSS be easier, would be nice.

1. Banner size with text underneath. - Mobile max height, maybe 1/3 of screen.
  2. Title and text area to promote the collection, plus some title and text separate font size and color options.
  3. Background color including two color fades and fade angle CSS style to the text area.
  4. Promo image options same as other media cards.
  5. Tablet and larger screen sizes: optional text in area: left, right, above but make a maximum height limits compared to screen size.  Maybe block text position option for Mobile portrait, it would just be too tight.
  6. GUI position can place the promotional collection in any location, same as library ordering, using dashboard order controls.
  7. Automatic turn off by date and time.
  8. Click and play promotion trailer assigned to collection.  tablet and larger, perhaps play trailer within div instead of immerdiately playback to full screen.  This is similar to IMDB and Prime UI.
  9. Mouse over starts trailer inside div space.
  10. Border size, styles, radius, color?  It is a temporary promotional collection.  It seems like someone, might like to highlight with a border.
  11. Someone will probably mention a carousel, but that is a real pain to get to work for all browsers and I don't think it's appropriate.  If you want a different promo, then just change it.
  12. admin can select if everyone can see it, or just by user name.  This can already be done for index.html Homepage sections by going into each user's profile - access,  but it would be much easier if the admin could add users by name in a pull down selection checkbox list.  This could allow multiple promos going to different users as a side effect of easy access to this dbase update per user.

Hope this is of interest.  I know it's a little complex.  These type of questions are good to consider before you start coding.

Edited by visproduction

Locutus64
On 3/29/2022 at 5:18 PM, Byebye said:

@Luke @ebr

Lets not confuse Emby with Plex who goes out of their way to ignore their user base.

That said I like this idea for my Christmas Horror Series. I currently have a folder with links to all my Christmas horror movies that right after Thanks Giving I add to Emby as a Library. 

• 1 month later...
guynamedbilly

I would also love this.  Would be useful for kid friendly movies or temporary libraries for Christmas.

• 5 weeks later...
jaketame

+1 for this, use automated collections quite heavily on Plex for kids/wife to show the current season movies but also whats popular right now on different platforms etc.

kamhouse

The OP mentioned having the collection show up as a library, but I'd like to be able to pin a collection to the home page as a hub. Similar to how the "Latest Movies" and "Latest TV show" hubs work.

• Agree 2