Direct Streaming vs Direct Playing

legallink

mastrmind11

Why not make it toggle-able?  I'd love to know what the box is doing w/o having to tail the logs all the time.

FrostByte

Why not make it toggle-able?  I'd love to know what the box is doing w/o having to tail the logs all the time.

Some of the clients (Samsung SmartTV app for one) will tell you in the OSD when bringing up the controls if it's DPing, DSing, Transcoding audio only, etc

mastrmind11

Some of the clients (Samsung SmartTV app for one) will tell you in the OSD when bringing up the controls if it's DPing, DSing, Transcoding audio only, etc

Does ATV?  If so, how do I access it?

CBers

We are not pandering to Plex users.  We are competing in an open marketplace.

If you walk into a store and see two products that do the same basic thing and one of them says "this one is better" even though both of them do the exact same thing the exact same way, most people will pick the one that claims to be "better".

And, in the world of the internet, they will then go out to every forum of which they are a member and post with authority the fact that the one they picked is better.

Yes, but not stating exactly what is happening is a bit misleading.

Most of us are long-time users, so know the difference, but new users will think one thing, only to find out down the line that it is in fact something else.

Guest asrequested

Well, clearly there is confusion around this, based on what would seem to be ambiguity. I think if the dashboard reported exactly what it was doing, I think it would go a long way to resolving this.

• Like 2

legallink

While from the tech side of things I agree, I think sometimes from  a product basis, you have to make choices on information overload to the end non-technical user.  If they were going to get into specifics where the industry standard is not to give specifics, it would be an "advanced" dispaly of some sort in the dashboard.

Guest asrequested

While from the tech side of things I agree, I think sometimes from a product basis, you have to make choices on information overload to the end non-technical user. If they were going to get into specifics where the industry standard is not to give specifics, it would be an "advanced" dispaly of some sort in the dashboard.

I agree. But how about something that an administrator can access quickly to check and see what is occurring.

How about if logged in as an administrator we get that "advanced" display. Where it has the extra information shown on the tile when directstream/remux/transcode.

presently: transcoding h264 aac ts

possible future: ts v:trans h264 a:copy aac 2ch

Also if the currently being played by whoever tile is clicked in the image area why doesnt it go to that item in the library? Clicking on the tile does nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Indeed, and the competition shows this information (copy/trans per stream) for administrators. Notice thats all that needs adding. I changed the ordering so audio could have channel count and not get confused with the container. Channel count isnt so important, but while you are there ya know how it goes. You ask for more than you expect to get.

The click on tile and go nowhere. Can that go to whatever is playing?

Edited by speechles

Guest asrequested

How about if logged in as an administrator we get that "advanced" display. Where it has the extra information shown on the tile when directstream/remux/transcode.

presently: transcoding h264 aac ts

possible future: ts v:trans h264 a:copy aac 2ch

Also if the currently being played by whoever tile is clicked in the image area why doesnt it go to that item in the library? Clicking on the tile does nothing.

Or simply have an info button next to where it says direct streaming or transcoding, that has a popup with what is occurring? Edited by Doofus

legallink

Yowzas, who knew this topic would set off such a discussion....here I thought I was asking a simply benign question.

MSattler

Yowzas, who knew this topic would set off such a discussion....here I thought I was asking a simply benign question.

This happens every 6-9 months.

Thanks!

b15c12b146afa32251fa514f07a1b336.jpg

• Like 3

clarkss12

b15c12b146afa32251fa514f07a1b336.jpg

I want one, but will need a mirror (or two).  Hard for me to remember what I have read on here today.

• 3 years later...
On 1/12/2017 at 9:16 PM, Luke said:

Yes people thought we were inferior because ours said Transcoding and their said Direct Stream. Or ours said Direct Stream and theirs said Direct Play.

In our case nowadays Direct Stream means a container swap is happening.

I really dont understand it well . !!  My emby say. Direct streaming .     Files. In .mkv.  ( But i run. .mkv on tv. By usb. Without problem ( emby is showing that. Is performing transcoding )?? 

12 minutes ago, Midaz said:

I really dont understand it well . !!  My emby say. Direct streaming .     Files. In .mkv.  ( But i run. .mkv on tv. By usb. Without problem ( emby is showing that. Is performing transcoding )?? 

No.  If it says Direct Streaming, it is not transcoding.

TransCODing means the video stream inside has an invalid CODec for the device you are attempting to play on (or the subtitle to be applied is burnt in, and many other reasons: bitrate restriction, playback error correction fallback, etc). You only see "cod" when converting the video codec(..or burn anything into it) is required.

Anything with direct means the streams are all copied. Direct Stream means the container was not compatible. Remux means the container and audio codec were not compatible.

Edited by speechles