Error - File no longer in library

kanipek
Go to solution Solved by kanipek,

kanipek

Have a very strange problem going on here. I am hoping someone can help me out.

Recently got a new Sony Android TV (XBR-55x850d) love it but I am having some issues with Kodi/Emby.

Downloaded from Google Play Kodi 16.1, installed Kodi added the Emby for Kodi add on and configured it using Native mode in Kodi. It scanned the library and 4+ hours later looked like it was good to go. I played a few different shows/movies all good. Not even 1 library sync crash.

Came back later on - possibly a day or two later and Now I am getting the dreaded File no longer in library error. There of course is no changes in the library setup wise probably added a few new episodes/movies etc. But I haven't ripped apart the network or changed servers, install or reinstall anything.

I have tried what I usually do to fix this error (and I don't see it very often at all maybe twice on one client box) - perform a manual sync but this did not fix my issue.

I can access and play everything on my Server/HTPC and all (two) client boxes (windows 10 minix boxes) - in Kodi and also thru Emby. Files are there, play fine.  This library is configured using SMB shares from the server.

So I tried a few things (on the Sony TV) that I had never had to do before one of which was switch Kodi playback to addon mode - This partially fixed things but was inconsistent. I did not play every movie but the ones I did (5 or 10) played normally (a bit slow to play but they played) - episodes same thing. But some episodes were now giving me the File no longer in library error - I checked the paths to these episodes and they were still showing SMB:\\ paths, but the episodes/movie that played show plugin paths. Tried repair syncs, manual syncs etc. Nothing fixed it.

So I deleted everything Kodi related - basically reset it to zero. Reconfigured everything in Kodi - set for native playback mode and did a resync came back this morning and I am back to episodes playing but every movie I tried gives the File no longer in library error.

I guess I should add the Emby client on this Sony TV has no issues playing any media - plays all the movies that fail in Kodi.

I have checked all the SMB shares and permissions - no problems didn't expect any since Emby client has no issues. Even set up an NFS share for a test folder same results.

I am attaching the Kodi log from the Sony TV and the Emby server log from the server. I don't know if there is a log for the Emby for Kodi add on  or where to find it if there is one.

I am not sure if this is a Kodi problem or Emby. I suspect the Emby for Kodi add on but I am guessing.

Also not sure where to post this one. If it is in the wrong location please move.

Thanks for reading and any help.

kodi.log

server-63619652336.txt

This is just with Emby for Kodi? can you play the same media in the web app? what about emby for android tv?

kanipek

Yes everything play fine in the web app and via the Emby for Android client (iOS also works)

kanipek

Okay strangeness is continuing.

Tried one of the windows 10 client boxes this morning.

No movies play. But episodes do.

So right now the only unit which is functioning normal is the Windows 7 Pro HTPC/Emby Server.

I guess from a troubleshooting standpoint this is a good thing, it isn't a problem with the Sony TV.

I am going to remove the films library for the moment and delete the share. Then recreate the share and do a test with just a few films and go from there.

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks for reading!

kanipek

@@Luke I have done my best to provide the necessary info.

I described the problem in my own words as best I could.

If I haven't provided something that is needed can you please tell me what that is?

This is a playback issue.

I have 2 client machines 1 Android TV (Sony XBR55x850d) and 1 Minix Neo-64 Windows 10. These are setup to play files from a Windows 7 Pro x64 HTPC computer.

All files play fine on the HTPC.

On the Sony Android TV I only get playback of the TV episodes. Movies give the error "File no longer in Library" - This is what happens with native mode playback or add-on mode playback, direct play and direct stream give the same result.

On the Windows 10 client everything plays (previous problem reported earlier with it also not playing movies is fixed).

I have attached logs from Emby Server and the Kodi log from the TV. This problem with playback from the Sony TV occurred when attempting to playback Back to the Future I/II/III between 1300 and 1315 eastern time from ip 192.168.1.254.

I am using SMB shares from the Windows 7 HTPC (though I have also done NFS share with same result).

The TV Shows and Movie files are being served from the same RAID 5 disk on the HTPC - \\Server-Name\TV Shows\NetworkName\ and \\Server-Name\Films\moviename folder\moviename.mp4

I have removed the main film folder from Emby and added a new folder to the Emby Library for films, it currently has only the 3 Back to the Future films in it.

The Emby client on the android TV(that does not play the film files in Kodi) and an iOS phone both have no issues playing any files films or episodes.

The web app also plays with no issues from several different phones/boxes/computers I did this via chrome.

I have of course checked and rechecked permissions on these SMB shares, but since there are no issues using the Emby clients for playback I did not expect to find any issues and there are none.

I am really banging my head against the wall here. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue.

Thanks for reading and any help!

kodi 01112017-1319.log

server-63619689599.txt

server-63619731775.txt

kanipek

I am able to play the movie files in Kodi by accessing them through "Videos" still no luck accessing them through "Movies"

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Is this a corrupt library.db or another db?

Corrupt: database disk image is malformed

kanipek

I think when I get back home in a bit I am going to remove Emby from the Sony and try an old school local Kodi database to see if that eliminates the problem. That will tell us if it is an Emby or Kodi (Android) issue. Any one disagree with this idea?

kanipek

Okay I have verified that the movie files play normally from Kodi when using old school local database.

Reset Kodi to scratch and set up a source pointing to the SMB share with just the 3 Back to the Future films in it. Watching one right now.

What is the next step?

I am here to provide whatever is needed to help solve this problem.

Happy2Play

My guess is the library.db unless @@Luke thinks it is another db.  Shutdown server, then rename it or move it to a new location and start server and perform a library scan to rebuild it. 

Unfortunately userdata is now in the library.db so you will have to follow the "Restore User Data" to restore them.

If this is with the Android TV app you should also use the in-app log submission process so that @@ebr can review. thanks.

kanipek

If this is with the Android TV app you should also use the in-app log submission process so that @@ebr can review. thanks.

It is an Android TV - television. I am not sure what you mean by "use the in app log submission process"

Can someone clarify for me?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
kanipek

So I haven't had much time to look further into this recently. Today I received a new Nvidia shield - great new toy by the way.

Had this same issue with Kodi on the new shield.

Ran across this post while searching for an answer:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36681-emby-for-kodi-network-credentials-and-ip-path-substitution-needed-under-libreelec-to-play-mp3s/?hl=+can&do=findComment&comment=351478

Really a totally unrelated post. But in there I believe on the first reply from Angelblue05 he made a comment - "...The safest way to get everything working cross platform is to use the ip address instead."

That got me thinking - always a dangerous thing.... Everything working cross platform - sorta what I had been experiencing with my Android clients and even my 2 Windows 10 clients which have similar (but not always present) issue

Within Emby - setting up library folders I have always used Folder: \\servername\foldername and Optional (shared network folder): \\servername\foldername

So I changed one of my folders in Emby to: Optional (shared network folder): \\ipaddress\foldername and let the library scan finish then reset the kodi db on the nvidia and let the sync complete. The result was I could now play anything in that one folder.

Notes: On client boxes:  I no longer get that annoying "can't locate file.....Stop Syncing? Yes/No" bug on the very first item to sync (should have been a clue something was wrong??) and also database sync is much much faster.

I remain a little skeptical, but I believe this is the answer I was looking for.

Haven't got back to the Sony yet. But I will shortly and will report back.

kanipek

I set the Sony TV Emby-Kodi up the same way this morning.

Works fine. I believe that this is definitely the fix.

What I don't understand is why having it set up that way wouldn't break it for both Movies and TV? Can anyone enlighten me?

Also I have two questions since my client boxes are android and windows 10 (Home) all streaming from a windows 7 Pro HTPC  1 - Is there any benefit to setting up the Emby library with Folder: \\servername\sharename??

2 - Why is it that the clients now do an initial sync in a fraction of the time ?? - and I am far from complaining here - used to take a minimum of 5 hours for 2100 films + 22000 Episodes it is now 1 hour and change.

Anyways problem fixed. Hopefully this post will help someone down the line.

Appreciate everyone's thought, help and inputs.