CPU Load Seems High

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

I'm running a 3.60GHz Intel i3-4160 Dual Core w/HT in my server with 16GB Memory.  At idle, the CPU load is around 3%, but when transcoding, it jumps to ~65 - 70% across all cores.  Doesn't that seem high?

When direct streaming in the LAN, the load doesn't really change from the 3-4% idle.

Does anyone else have any specs on their CPU's load during transcode?

Edited by Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

Actually, oddly enough, I'm not sure what's happening. I'm going to look over in the unRAID forums first to try and figure out how I can export the process list and corresponding CPU usage.

My sister is streaming a show right now (remotely) and the CPU is sitting at ~5%.

Weird.

Happy2Play

It is normal no matter how powerful your system is to have extremely high CPU usage when Transcoding files. 

Spyderturbo007

It is transcoding her stream.  This isn't making any sense to me though.  Take a look at the screen shots.  Is it maybe transcoding ahead of where they are in the episode or does it do it in real time?

post-176454-0-85064000-1484011263_thumb.png

post-176454-0-41367600-1484011273_thumb.png

Edited by Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

Sorry. I edited my post a few minutes ago. I used the wrong terminology the first time.

It looks like the red bar at the bottom is the transcoding progress and the green bar is the point I. The episode they are viewing.

They just started another episode and the CPU usage is ~70%. The red bar isn't all he way across yet.

Edited by Spyderturbo007

Happy2Play

It is transcoding her stream.  This isn't making any sense to me though.  Take a look at the screen shots.  Is it maybe transcoding ahead of where they are in the episode or does it do it in real time?

Your screenshot basically shows that Emby has transcoded the entire stream already.  There is a "Throttling" setting on the Transcode page but I believe it is enabled by default.

Everything you have shown is completely normal.

Swynol

i use an i3 (3240 i think) transcoding uses around 70-80% cpu for 1 stream. with Quick Sync enabled it uses about the same amount of CPU however transcodes at a lot higher FPS meaning it finishes the transcode much quicker. 

with my i3 and quick sync i can usually transcode 2-3 streams at a time. However these days i never need it to transcode more than 2 at a time and normally one has usually finished transcoding before the next one begins.

an i5 or i7 is on my upgrade list. or maybe 2x Xeons 

Spyderturbo007

Hi, please see post #2 and then it will be much easier to help you. Thanks !

Hi Luke.  I don't think there is any problem, more like a lack of understanding on how things worked.  I was confused on why it would use 60-70% and then drop to nothing.  I didn't understand that it was transcoding the entire episode ahead of the viewing point. 

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'll probably only have one thing being transcoded at a time, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Spyderturbo007

i use an i3 (3240 i think) transcoding uses around 70-80% cpu for 1 stream. with Quick Sync enabled it uses about the same amount of CPU however transcodes at a lot higher FPS meaning it finishes the transcode much quicker. 

with my i3 and quick sync i can usually transcode 2-3 streams at a time. However these days i never need it to transcode more than 2 at a time and normally one has usually finished transcoding before the next one begins.

Perfect.  Sounds about where I'm at.

On a side note, I tried clicking on your "Reef Blog",  but the page is dead.  I have a reef tank as well and was curious to see your page.  Just thought I would let you know that the link is dead.

Swynol

Perfect.  Sounds about where I'm at.

On a side note, I tried clicking on your "Reef Blog",  but the page is dead.  I have a reef tank as well and was curious to see your page.  Just thought I would let you know that the link is dead.

Cheers for the heads up on the link. i think it has something to do with my SSL cert. going to fix it later. Although it's not really a reef blog anymore, i moved to a new host and lost pretty much everything and when i started back up again it changed to me chatting about emby, tech, reef, biking etc. 

hopefully i will update it with more content soon

Edited by Swynol

• 1 month later...
zigzagtshirt

Have you noticed a video/audio quality difference when using Quick Sync?  If I understand correctly, offloading transcoding to hardware (like Quick Sync) dramatically increases the transcoding speed but the quality won't be nearly as good compared to trancoding w/out it at a similar bitrate.  I'm thinking about investing in a Quick Sync-enabled CPU and I'm wondering what your experience has been in terms of quality, and how the bitrate compares for similar quality.  

Edited by zigzagtshirt

Swynol

Most of my devices direct play. So in the important rooms such as living room and my theatre room quality is great. I have a few boxes that do transcode but they are in rooms where I don't really care about quality. So bedroom, bathroom etc. However saying that since changing from normal transcoding to quick sync I didn't notice any change in quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk