Can't restore using backup plugin

skurvy_pirate

skurvy_pirate

I had some serious issues after changing some recording settings for Live TV. I tried pointing the directory to my normal TV directory and point movies into my normal movie directory. After doing this and saving, Emby got into some infinite loop of library scanning and kept adding "Recording" folders like Recording1, Recording11, Recording111, Recording1111, etc. I had to shut down the server because it would start up and become unresponsive and I couldn't even access settings to change it back. I have been using the backup plugin, so I just decided to reinstall Emby and restore from yesterdays backup.

Well after reinstalling and configuring the backup plugin, I see my 5 most recent backups, but clicking on them does nothing. Am I missing something on how to restore? For now I have tried manually putting files back onto the NAS in (what I think is) the proper locations. I have noticed my users didn't come back (even though there are users backed up and I think I put them back in the correct location, ProgramData-Server/Config/Users). There are also user folders under "userdata" in the backup that I can't find a corresponding folder on in the NAS.

Long story short, is there a way to restore the backups using the plugin so that it "just works"? 

skurvy_pirate

Hi, click on a backup, then on the next screen click the Restore Now button.

Clicking on a backup doesn't do anything.

Try refreshing the browser page.  Then try clearing the browser cache.

If that still doesn't work, try a different browser.  If all of that fails, use Chrome and hit ctrl-shift-j to bring up the console and let us know if there are any red error messages when you click on a backup.

skurvy_pirate

5873cfea13c59_Capture.jpg

Backup location is: "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Storage/UsersNames's Documents/Emby Backup"

Maybe it doesn't like something about the path format. The backup names I assume are standard but here is one of those just in case: "Emby Backup - 2017-01-04 12.10.2 - Auto".

I tried changing the path to something that doesn't contain 'Emby Backup" just in case it was splitting the path on that or something but still no luck. 

mastrmind11

I had some serious issues after changing some recording settings for Live TV. I tried pointing the directory to my normal TV directory and point movies into my normal movie directory. 

I planned on doing the very same thing per a discussion on another thread, but if this is the behavior maybe I need to hold off?  @@Luke, I assume this is not expected?  Is it OS specific?

Edited by mastrmind11

I planned on doing the very same thing per a discussion on another thread, but if this is the behavior maybe I need to hold off?  @@Luke, I assume this is not expected?  Is it OS specific?

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

mastrmind11

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

I was going to set my recording folder to my TV folder so everything appears in the same place (per my other thread re merging recorded and downloaded shows).  But if by doing so I run into a problem like the OP, I will hold off until the problem can be rectified.  ie, is the infinite loop described in the OP QNAP specific?

skurvy_pirate

Are you talking about how I got into this mess? I am not sure what triggered it, but I am guessing it didn't like the folders I had set up or the "Auto Organize" feature was going crazy. I had a Movies and TV folder (with Shows/Season subfolders). I recently got HDHomerun hooked up and had recordings going to TV/Live Recordings. I noticed these recordings weren't showing up in my shows under TV in the library, so I tried changing the recording directory to the root TV directory and I also saw you can specify a different directory for Movies so I chose the Movie folder I had set up. After saving it started doing a library scan and this is when it started creating infinite Recording1, Recording11, etc directories.

I believe you should be able to do this, but I think you should not use the Auto Organize feature if you do. Maybe I should have just added the Live Recordings directory to my TV library as a second folder. I need to search around on the forums some more. 

Edited by skurvy_pirate

mastrmind11

Are you talking about how I got into this mess? I am not sure what triggered it, but I am guessing it didn't like the folders I had set up or the "Auto Organize" feature was going crazy. I had a Movies and TV folder (with Shows/Season subfolders). I recently got HDHomerun hooked up and had recordings going to TV/Live Recordings. I noticed these recordings weren't showing up in my shows under TV in the library, so I tried changing the recording directory to the root TV directory and I also saw you can specify a different directory for Movies so I chose the Movie folder I had set up. After saving it started doing a library scan and this is when it started creating infinite Recording1, Recording11, etc directories.

I believe you should be able to do this, but I think you should not use the Auto Organize feature if you do. Maybe I should have just added the Live Recordings directory to my TV library as a second folder. I need to search around on the forums some more.

Yeah exactly what I planned to do. But since you had auto organize looking at an already organized folder, it makes sense why it looped indefinitely. Have you tried it with the fresh install sans enabling auto organize?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

skurvy_pirate

Yeah exactly what I planned to do. But since you had auto organize looking at an already organized folder, it makes sense why it looped indefinitely. Have you tried it with the fresh install sans enabling auto organize?

Also let me clarify, I wasn't using the Auto-Organize feature that moves shows from your download folder. I am just talking about the check box under Live TV settings that says "Automatically organize recordings into existing season folders in other libraries". But no, I haven't since fresh install. Still trying to get my server restored. I will try again, but leave the separate Live Recordings folder I made and just add that to my TV library and see how it works. I think that should work fine.

mastrmind11

Also let me clarify, I wasn't using the Auto-Organize feature that moves shows from your download folder. I am just talking about the check box under Live TV settings that says "Automatically organize recordings into existing season folders in other libraries". But no, I haven't since fresh install. Still trying to get my server restored. I will try again, but leave the separate Live Recordings folder I made and just add that to my TV library and see how it works. I think that should work fine.

But that'll dupe your stuff on the UI. It'll show up in recorded and TV. Maybe you can disable the recorded section from the UI. Haven't gotten too deep into it yet.

skurvy_pirate

But that'll dupe your stuff on the UI. It'll show up in recorded and TV. Maybe you can disable the recorded section from the UI. Haven't gotten too deep into it yet.

I don't mind if it shows up in both I don't think, but I am not sure if there is a better way. I haven't searched around on it yet though, still working on resolving this restore issue first.

skurvy_pirate

@@ebr I think I have confirmed it is the path that it doesn't like. In renderBackups is calls encodeURICompenent which translates the FullPath of the backup to a URI, but it doesn't handle some characters. One of these characters is the apostrophe ('), and my path has that (UserName's Documents). After changing the backup location to somewhere without an apostrophe and copying the backups there, I was able to click on and restore a backup. 

Edited by skurvy_pirate

Yep, I was going to say I was sure it was the single quote it didn't like.  Glad you got it figured out.

skurvy_pirate

Where is the Github for the backup plugin? I found a million other plugins in the Emby Github but couldn't find that one. 

skurvy_pirate

I seem to be having another issue. The restore tool says the server will be rebooted when it is done restoring, but mine I don't think ever rebooted. With QNAP I don't even know if it can reboot. I can only shutdown from the dashboard. But I am seeing some messages repeating over and over in log relating to DLNA. Maybe the restore is stuck in a loop? I also don't see my plugins yet. Here are the repeating messages:

2017-01-09 17:04:18.8003 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.196. Time: 10ms. http://192.168.1.226:8096/dlna/5aa2f851778f4344971ba997e2d4bb14/description.xml
2017-01-09 17:04:18.8022 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.226:8096/dlna/5aa2f851778f4344971ba997e2d4bb14/description.xml. UserAgent: 6.2.9200 2/, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.19
2017-01-09 17:04:18.8039 Info Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will need to be used.
	HOST: 192.168.1.226:8096
	DATE: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 01:04:13 GMT
	CONNECTION: close
	USER-AGENT: 6.2.9200 2/, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.19
2017-01-09 17:04:18.8045 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.196. Time: 2ms. http://192.168.1.226:8096/dlna/5aa2f851778f4344971ba997e2d4bb14/description.xml
2017-01-09 17:04:18.8068 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.226:8096/dlna/5aa2f851778f4344971ba997e2d4bb14/description.xml. UserAgent: 6.2.9200 2/, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.19
2017-01-09 17:04:18.8085 Info Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will need to be used.
	HOST: 192.168.1.226:8096
	DATE: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 01:04:13 GMT
	CONNECTION: close
	USER-AGENT: 6.2.9200 2/, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.19

Automatic restart is not supported by the qnap server so you just need to restart manually after the restore.

skurvy_pirate

Thanks. I did that shortly after the post and everything looks as expected now. Just re-scanning the libraries.

skurvy_pirate

I will improve that for servers that don't support automatic restart.

Thanks @@Luke. Where is the GitHub for that plugin by the way?