Using External Player doens't work anymore

poanda

Hello guys!

I experienced an issue. I can't use external player anymore, it only comes some popup that reloads the activity after clicking on it (screenshot).

58731cd9f09be_photo_20170109_061644.jpg

I have downloaded 2.8.40 and I got the same issue. After that I have installed an older version:  2.8.39 -> now it works again.

I am using a Galaxy S7 edge and the server runs on Windows 10.

Greetings,

Jan

Nebular Nerd

Hi same issue as the OP, I get the VLC window appear which just give a handler error as I don't use VLC on my tablet. I'm guessing it's meant to present a list of choices to allow folk to pick the player of choice.

I'm going to be putting up a build on the open beta shortly that will have the fix:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Just be aware that playback is being overhauled. The "Play in External Player" button will now be gone and it will just integrate with the regular play button. So this will save you a click when starting video playback.

• Like 2

Nebular Nerd

Just tested with the Beta (2.8.41)  and external player seems to be working once more with MXPlayer Pro (and with Direct Play since I finally fixed that), very much liking the new one click play button approach. Happy Days :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone not having this work with VLC still? I'll have to try a different video app..

@@Easttxtech can you please describe your issue in more detail? Thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
Easttxtech

On user profile, settings, playback there is a button to enable external players. This used to pop up the option to open an episode or movie with VLC whwn I clicked play. Now it just wants me to buy the app or play 1 minute. I've quit using Emby Mobile.

• 3 weeks later...
Kael944

Ah yes that's because it's running through the same mechanism now as regular playback.

Hi Luke,

That does not really explain (for me at least who is not too tech savvy) how to make it work again.

Access to database works fine, but cannot play any files except the pay to unlock option or 1 minute as previously mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...
LeeMush

Ah yes that's because it's running through the same mechanism now as regular playbacK

No idea what that means.

I have external players enabled on Emby Android, but no longer get popup asking which player to use, just points me towards unlock feature, which there is no way I'm going to do until I know I can continue to use external player.

Do you have a definitive method for fixing this/enabling external player?

I have signed up for the beta testing, but this has made no difference, running 2.8.85