multiple drives in 2 cases

x88dually

Guest asrequested

Thx for the links.

You got my wheels spinning and ended up buying this 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Supermicro-16-Bay-SAS2-Server-X9DR3-LN4F-2xXeon-E5-2650-8-Core-48GB-Rail-2PS/132053594352?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40757%26meid%3D9b2f59ba249a4ecb80403ea83df21b6f%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D152381709763

Now i know emby and HDHR will both run on this. And the expander in this will run another 12 hdd's going into another case if i need it. I can upgrade cpu's to v2's. TY

my wife hates you now...lmao

LMAO.....oops! That's a nice piece of hardware, though. 

mediacowboy

Thx for the links.

You got my wheels spinning and ended up buying this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Supermicro-16-Bay-SAS2-Server-X9DR3-LN4F-2xXeon-E5-2650-8-Core-48GB-Rail-2PS/132053594352?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40757%26meid%3D9b2f59ba249a4ecb80403ea83df21b6f%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D152381709763

Now i know emby and HDHR will both run on this. And the expander in this will run another 12 hdd's going into another case if i need it. I can upgrade cpu's to v2's. TY

my wife hates you now...lmao

Just remind her it is a much need hardware upgrade for Her viewing pleasure. It has nothing to do with wanting bigger and better. Haha

Guest asrequested

Just remind her it is a much need hardware upgrade for Her viewing pleasure. It has nothing to do with wanting bigger and better. Haha

Hell yes! Tell her it was/is a big struggle for you, but you do it to make her happy.....And don't show her this thread :D

• Like 1

x88dually

I'm a 1/2 jock, 1/2 gearhead and 1/2 geek

Can you really ever have enuff ?!?  LMAO

my backup kinda server is a i7 3770 on a gigabyte board w/usb3's.

now i can have real back up servers, with upgradeable cpu's to v2's. Being a dual board, that brings cpu scores upto @25k. Where server now is only a single cpu, :(

couldnt afford dual e5-2683's.

So these are cheaper til i upgrade and money boss will never know. LOL

i found a nice 3u dual e5-2650, 96g ram 16 hdd's for 7 bills

Am i getting over killing yet ?

This is all you guys's fault, an thats my story an i'm stickin to it...lol

But you guys kinds opened my eyes to all new things with this software raid.   I'm liking XPEnology nas.

My server, is emby an hdhr

Bought server, is going to be backup

next possible server, will be xpenology with the usb drives,(if i crack open cases an make them internal hdd's). Dumb idea or workable ????

Edited by x88dually

PenkethBoy

"I'm a 1/2 jock, 1/2 gearhead and 1/2 geek" - but not a mathematician :):P 

​as for the usb drives - yes they will work - will invalidate your warranty but as they are cheap you might not care  

x88dually

lol

do i need hardware raid or is it all software raid ?  that part i'm still looking for an answer on in there forums

Edited by x88dually

Guest asrequested

lol

do i need hardware raid or is it all software raid ? that part i'm still looking for an answer on in there forums

What are you referring to?

Guest asrequested

Unless you're making a large RAID like 50, and using a lot of drives, commonly, I think most people just use software. But I think you're just asking which way to physically connect them? As you have the adaptec card, use it. How are you wanting to configure the drives, and how many?

x88dually

the adaptecs are raid only, no jbod

there are  2x4tb, 4x5tb usb drives that will be internal's.

as far as configure goes, raid 0 an raid 5. Or i just use the 5tb's in raid 5 with software raid ?

Guest asrequested

Well, with a RAID you need all the drives the same. My suggestion would be to use the 4s and 5s and use drive pooling. Maybe you could convert the card to IT, and use software for everything. I wouldn't use RAID. Were you thinking of RAID 5?

PenkethBoy

you dont have to raid the disks even with a raid card - you can create single raid0 for each disk so they pass through as single disks to the os

do you need raid?

x88dually

I've only known hardware raid.

3 raid 5 8 disk arrays. 1 array is 2tb's. 1 is 3tb array. 1 is 4tb array. Over about a dozen yrs.

Raid cards are Adaptec 5805z's, new used server is a Adaptec 5405. No it mode in firmware updates.

Been looking for days to see if i can use 6tb hdd's with these cards. Still dont have an answer. They do 4tb's but that was 2009 or 2010 according to Adaptec's site.

So, do i just plug the usb (pulled out of cases) hdd's into mb and do software raid ?

Edited by x88dually

PenkethBoy

the hdd in the enclosures will have sata connectors as they are normal HDD so should be no issue with connecting them

with your cards can the os see the SMART data or is that only via the card management software?

do you have any options in the raid bios for jbod/single disk?

For Drivepool / drive bender etc to work well they need to see the disks as individuals  - however they will also work with raided drives you just have less file locations as they will think they have 3 large disks plus the usb HDD. - having different size disks is fine its one of the advantages of these packages. 

Once you have connected the new drives give them ago - free for trialing - and see if you like what you see - i have 28 drives managed this way - i have moved away from Raid which i have used for years

x88dually

Adaptec Storage Man does smart. No options for jbod.  Only raid 0,1,1EE, 10, 5, 5EE, 50 6, 60.

6 sata ports on mb, so i plug in drive to a sata port and not do hardware raid, just let software do it all ?

Edited by x88dually

PenkethBoy

yes - or you could raid then with the sata controller (actually software raid) if you wanted another option

if you are going to try DP then dont raid them - the software will pool them - so you see one big drive - similar to raid1 if you enable duplication

x88dually

PenkethBoy : ok, so StableBit and XPEnology should work pretty much the way DP does ?

Edited by x88dually

PenkethBoy

DP is a StableBit product

Xpenology completely different - its an os (linux) not an app you can load into say windows 

Kar Emby

Thx for all your help guys

Wth, whyd this name come up and not email addy name.(x88dually)

Edited by Kar Emby