multiple drives in 2 cases

x88dually

x88dually

Heres whats happening.

Emby and HDhomerun software on a e5-2683v3, win8.1.

28 HDD's.

15 drives in a rack server case, can load other 13 in duplicate case w/o mb or 2 tower cases bolted together.

Question in, can i mount power supply to run case fans an drives w/o a mb on extra case ????

Edited by x88dually

Guest asrequested

A few guys on here have done something similar. Just used a server box for hard drives and ran data cables to the server.

Edited by Doofus

Happy2Play

Sure.  The question is how are the drives being connected to your active system?

Guest asrequested

Sure. There'll be no fan control, but you can run the power directly and then long data cables to the other case. If you use SAS backplanes, just make sure you have a SAS controller card that you can plug into, in the other case.

PenkethBoy

yes if you have the correct setup

the second pwr supply will need a switch to turn it own as m/b normally does that - a simple bit of wire will do - see google

the cables you use to get the data from a to b need to be correct if using sas

x88dually

happy2play : extra case drives with go  4 sata-8087-8088, 8088-8087 to lsi controller.

pankethboy : can i use swith on back of ps where it plugs in wire to a/c ?

doofus : noise isnt an issue, both rack cases will be in garage in an 18u rack.

i just tryed an evga 750w psu, connected to a case fan an  it didnt turn on fan.

x88dually

doofus : a/c cord -psu, 4 pin molex splitter to 3 or 4 pin fan connector.

molex to fan wires. are split to run 3 fans an 1 connector goes to m/b fan 4 pin for speed control.

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

pir8radio : i appreciate the time and effort for doing that link, thank you. now i'm gonna bust your balls. Are you smoking crack ? that 1620 is almost the same cpu score as my i7-3770. Why would i goto that tiny faggy cpu when i'm running a 2683v3 ?

While i'm on cpu's. Can i7-2600, i7-3770 or a i7-3770k w/16g ram (3 pc's w/16g ram) strong enuff to have emby and hdhomerun on same pc, w/o major lag ?

Guest asrequested

doofus : a/c cord -psu, 4 pin molex splitter to 3 or 4 pin fan connector.

molex to fan wires. are split to run 3 fans an 1 connector goes to m/b fan 4 pin for speed control.

Curious. I have fans connected directly to my psu, and they run. Other than the voltages not matching or the fans don't work, the only other suggestion would be to use a cheap fan controller. But they should just run... Oh, maybe a pin in the molex moved/came loose?

x88dually

ok, i jumped green and black wire on psu 24 pin m/b plug, hit switch on back of psu and fan kicked on. Problem solved.  (psu was a cheapy 450w 6 yr old)

now, the curiousity question, can an i7-3770 or i7-2600 take emby and hdhomerun with 16g ram, w/o being bogged down ?

pir8radio, your sig has listed a 10g cache disk, and on windows.    Can you explain that in detail so i understand. why, what for, does it help, do i need it ??

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

Those 2 links you guys put up has my thinking and planning, thank you. I'm digging the backplane idea. So i'm assuming the sunrich pci xpress card has multiplier ports. I'm researchin right now for specs and details.

Edited by x88dually

PenkethBoy

happy2play : extra case drives with go  4 sata-8087-8088, 8088-8087 to lsi controller.

pankethboy : can i use swith on back of ps where it plugs in wire to a/c ?

doofus : noise isnt an issue, both rack cases will be in garage in an 18u rack.

i just tryed an evga 750w psu, connected to a case fan an  it didnt turn on fan.

Any PSU will not turn on without the shorted black to ground - and will usually turn off with no load

and you will need reverse sas breakout cables

:P much cheaper sas expander http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-24-Bay-PCI-E-SAS-Expander-Card-468406-B21-487738-001-/161906886211?hash=item25b2670643 @@pir8radio suggested :)

only needs power to work no need to plug into pcie bus via a pcie ribbon

Edited by PenkethBoy

mediacowboy

Those 2 links you guys put up has my thinking and planning, thank you. I'm digging the backplane idea. So i'm assuming the sunrich pci xpress card has multiplier ports. I'm researchin right now for specs and details.

Here's what i was thinking of doing when I can build a rack.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43169-Future-build-and-gaming-system-rebuild&do=findComment&comment=404443.

Guest asrequested

All good fun!

I deleted my first text...the wine was talking ...lol

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

You know what, though? If you do that, you should just put a cheap board and cpu in there, and use it as a file server.

Why when I can connect to a good file server via sas. I also like that Chenbro UEK because I can keep daisy chaining as needed. It has a in and out port on it

Guest asrequested

Why when I can connect to a good file server via sas. I also like that Chenbro UEK because I can keep daisy chaining as needed. It has a in and out port on it

I guess I like the idea of the redundancy it provides. Having it run, independently. 

mediacowboy

I guess I like the idea of the redundancy it provides. Having it run, independently.

The thinking is have a dual cpu server motherboard and a raid 1 OS drive.

Guest asrequested

The thinking is have a dual cpu server motherboard and a raid 1 OS drive.

But having it all in one is a bit precarious. If all the files are under one OS, and for whatever reason you have to reinstall the OS, it's likely that the drive addresses will/could change. Also, all the shares will be lost. Having it separate, all you have to do is point the library at where the files are, and you're off. Not a huge deal, I know. I'm working my way toward something like that.