Feature request: IMDB Top 250

DaSilva

DaSilva

Hello all,

first of all I would like to thank all the dev's for releasing such superb programs, I really love each one of them!!!

Now I wanted to ask if maybe it would be possible along the road to add something in the server and the clients to recognise movies from the IMDB Top 250 in your collection and automatic add these to a seperate menu like "Movies By Genre" but call it "IMDB Top 250" then?

And also add the titles in the list that are not in your collection but in another colour or something?

I think this would be a nice feature ... but definatly not high priority!!!

Cheers DaSilva

IMDB doesn't have a public API so there is no way to get that data. So without being able to get it there is no way to implement this. Sorry.

Actually we do have the data from another source. Well at the moment, just the top 250 ranking of your own movies.

steve1977

Once smartlist and an extended trakt addon are implemented, this will be easy :-) Both are being or are promised to be worked on in the future. So, IMDB250 will eventually come!

Once smartlist and an extended trakt addon are implemented, this will be easy :-) Both are being or are promised to be worked on in the future. So, IMDB250 will eventually come!

Only if we can get the data.

People don't realize it but IMDb is NOT free.  They charge dearly for their data because it is their business.  They do, however, provide some limited information for free and in a bulk form. I haven't checked but it is possible something like this is available that way.

Koleckai Silvestri

If you can pull lists from either tmdb.org or Trackt.tv, you can pull facsimiles of the list. Might not be the most up to date but the data is pretty close. Not sure what their APIs look like though.

Personally I would be interested in other lists like Disney Animation or Best Picture Winners but can build most manually. Have already started with some.

steve1977

Only if we can get the data.

People don't realize it but IMDb is NOT free.  They charge dearly for their data

Data would not be the issue. Trakt.tv has not only "IMDB250", but also "AFI Best Movies 2012", "Upcoming DVD releases", and about anything else that you can imagine. Would be great to sync the trakt.tv lists (that's what they call them). Ideal would be a sync with playlists once implemented.

There is a python addon for XBMC that can do this, so it is definitely possible.

Edited by steve1977

It looks like we may be able to get this data which is good but just because another product has a feature doesn't necessarily mean we can.

The internet is still a bit of the wild west and there are a lot of bandits out there.

steve1977

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting to turn into bandits ;-)

I was saying that we already have a addon for trakt. Trakt has a imdb250 lists. It is possible (legally) to access this list through the trakt API and other software has done that. The trakt developers are welcoming this.

So, it is possible without turning into bandits ;-)

AdrianW

Metabrowser pulls this data and stores it in the movie metadata.

e.g. Black Swan has this element in it's XML:

<Top250>237</Top250>

Edited by AdrianW

Cheesegeezer

People don't realize it but IMDb is NOT free.  They charge dearly for their data because it is their business. 

I'd like to put the price tag on it so people understand why we don't use IMDB.

$15,000 /yr

• 1 year later...
bartolomesoriano

Good afternoon,

Given that the TMDB scraper that Emby uses already scrapes the Top 250 information, and writes it to the movie NFOs, could you please reconsider adding this to the metadata information that is shown in the web interface for Emby server, and propagating it to the clients? I understand that scraping the info from IMDb has a significant cost, but that would not be required since tmdb already has it.  If it is added to the metadata, addons like Emby for Kodi can sync this information as well and show it.

I understand that keeping this information updated would be an issue, since it is not necessarily up to date in tmdb, but there are addons (plugins) for Kodi for example, that update this information for you, and do not go to IMDB to get the info.

Thank you for reconsidering this request.

Regards,

Bart

• 7 months later...
horstepipe

hey

please make it possible to read out the existing rating from .nfo file.

It is stored like this:

top250>x</top250>

Regards

• 5 years later...
fauental

The feature request is now several years old. Is there any news about it yet? Can Emby read the tag "Top 250"? Can Emby also read collections from Trakt.tv? What is your plan for this feature request?

4 hours ago, fauental said:

The feature request is now several years old. Is there any news about it yet? Can Emby read the tag "Top 250"? Can Emby also read collections from Trakt.tv? What is your plan for this feature request?

Hi, these are possible for the future. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
joncy92
On 09/12/2021 at 14:42, Luke said:

Hi, these are possible for the future. Thanks.

we're 6 years into the future now...has there been any progress on this?
This is particularly interesting for those of us that want to auto manage "universes" like Star Wars, MCU, Star Trek, Tolkien, etc.

joncy92
3 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

I‘d concentrate on importing Trakt lists (as Playlists or via Emby tags) as you can get IMDb top 250 from there, too

https://trakt.tv/search/lists?query=imdb 250

Interesting. Can we build collections from this? 

There's this tool for Plex which allows you to create collections based on trakt or tmdb lists (or actors and other things) and you can specify metadata like the poster and description

That would be a very useful capability in Emby

• Agree 1

horstepipe

Currently not, but hopefully somebody will be willing to write a plug-in for that in the future. Shouldn’t be too much effort I think.

Edited by horstepipe