Unable to play videos

Chuck

Just purchased and installed the Windows app on my Surface 2.  It looks great!

Unfortunately, when I attempt to play a movie, I get an unable to play error.

All videos are in WMV format.

7illusions

Hi,

Can you try to change the transcoding quality to medium to see if that helps?

(You do this by bringing out charms menu, clicking settings and streaming)

Oops ... one more note ... I'm also seeing behavior where instead of getting the failed to play error, I'm getting a pause icon that freezes.  I can use the pull down menu to get to the back but to.  So, looks like the app is not frozen, but the play stream isn't active.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what movie I was attempting to play where I was able to view by the web browser, but not the app. (Internet Explorer 11 on Microsoft Surface 2 - Windows RT device)

In testing today, I tested with MediaBrowser Classic in Media Center on the HTPC (Windows 8.1 Media Center), the web browser on the Surface Device, and the Web Browser on both the HTPC and the Surface device.

In MediaBrowser Classic, there were no issues.  However, in the web browser on both machines, and in the Windows App on the Surface device, I received an error.

I'm attaching log files for both the WebBrowser connection and the App connection.

I've also noted that other movies in the collection are apparently working on both the web browser and app.  So, I'm assuming a difference in the movie file compilations.  This one, in particular, is 1920x1080, 4000kbps with Total bitrate of 4160kbps, Frame rate of 24 frames/second, Audio Bit rate of 160kbps, 2 channel sterio, audio sample rate of 48 kHz, and is in WMV format.

@@Chuck can you please retest and post the ffmpeg logs after turning off debug logging in ffmpeg (leave server debug logging turned on).

If possible don't zip the log files it makes it hard for us if we cant open them directly in the browser.

TIA

Thanks chuck

not sure why it is happening but it appears the bitrate is 0 kb (give or take) for the first 200+ frames. I have no wmv files to test with I willl try to make a few later today (time permitting and see why).

In the mean time can you try to play from first chapter point (just as a test) .

Edited by Tikuf

I'm happy to make the file available to you.  Other WMV movies seem to be working, but I'm assuming others will not based on this behavior.

If you fire off an e-mail, I can get you an FTP download.

Well ... I might have found the problem (speculation).

Looks like movies that have been downloaded with protected DRM are possibly not being validated through the web browser interface or the Windows App, where the HTPC and Xbox Extenders are able to validate licensing when accessed enabling the content to play.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to validate this assumption.  And, it seems odd due to the fact that it seems like these are movies that have been downloaded through Zune (no longer available, or with available licensing validation service), or with Xbox Video (where only a fraction of this content will allow for download with DRM license validation as MSFT has changed it's delivery and validation approach).

Interestingly enough ... I believe that the DRM license is stored on the HTPC.  So, this may be a challenge in the hand-off to the Web client and Windows APP where the license isn't being read.

If they are infact drm (which makes sense from the output) we will not be able to transcode them to other clients. We cannot/will not circumvent drm for legal reasons sorry.

I'm not entirely sure that is correct.  I'm able to use RemotePotato to play content.

For DRM content, the license is installed and validated on the HTPC.  This allows viewing for personal use.

I believe there is a read for the DRM license that's missing in the Web and App clients to validate the license prior to play.