Where has path substitution gone to?

tbkn
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

There used to be a tab in Libraries to setup path substitution, but now it's nowhere to be seen.

Where did it go to? I can't find it anywhere and can't use external players without it.

Previous:

586f95f7367aa_emby1.png

Now:

586f965808a72_emby2.png

• Solution
mastrmind11

They moved to per-library since 3.1.  Click on a library, click on the path, and in there will be an optional network path.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And btw, if we previously had set up path substitution, we will need to do it again, per library, right?

I ask this because all my path subs. are blanked out and Im having errors on some HDDs when I try to play files from them, saying "not acessible". Not all tough...which is wierd!

Happy2Play

And btw, if we previously had set up path substitution, we will need to do it again, per library, right?

I ask this because all my path subs. are blanked out and Im having errors on some HDDs when I try to play files from them, saying "not acessible". Not all tough...which is wierd!

Everything still should be backwards compatible, but if you are having issues you will have to manually remove the old way to add the new way.

Shut down server

open system.xml (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config)

find <PathSubstitution> section and delete the everything between the nodes

<PathSubstitution>

</PathSubstitution>

Save

start server go to each library and add the network path.

• 1 year later...
horizonbrave

I'm reading the same wiki and I'm also confused.. can't find that setting anywhere. Wiki says to use the Metadata Manager that to confirm everything is allright.. mine seems fine (I can see movie's data).

Cheers :)

Happy2Play

I'm reading the same wiki and I'm also confused.. can't find that setting anywhere. Wiki says to use the Metadata Manager that to confirm everything is allright.. mine seems fine (I can see movie's data).

Cheers :)

Well when you create the library and add your folder you can see the "(Optional) Shared network folder:" option, but you can click on your Folders and bring up the option again (not very intuitive).

5ba996d1ca5e3_Folder.jpg

5ba9979e985c0_path.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

horizonbrave

[...]  but you can click on your Folders and bring up the option again (not very intuitive).

Well I could have tried harder :) By the way I'm actually not understanding if I need to specify that path or not (sorry).. files and server are on a Synology NAS unit. Folder has been added and everything seems to work fine, please do I still need it and where I find it (the path itself)? Cheers!

Well I could have tried harder :) By the way I'm actually not understanding if I need to specify that path or not (sorry).. files and server are on a Synology NAS unit. Folder has been added and everything seems to work fine, please do I still need it and where I find it (the path itself)? Cheers!

You only need this if you use apps that can truly directly access the file system.  This would be limited to Emby Theater Desktop for Windows, Emby for WMC and Kodi I believe.

• Like 1

horizonbrave

You only need this if you use apps that can truly directly access the file system.  This would be limited to Emby Theater Desktop for Windows, Emby for WMC and Kodi I believe.

Thanks, I had no idea! :) Maybe I ddin't read the wiki carefully...