Issue with Chromecast

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I have been having an issue with the Chromecast for about a year now and I am beginning to wonder if anyone else has the same issue...

Using the Android App, I cast the show. I hit the home button and open a new app, then pull down from the notification bar and try to pause it using the emby notification. Nothing happens.. I open the app and it's lost connection to Chromecast. So I have to reconnect to the Chromecast, but when I reconnect, it says nothing is playing so I have to recast it all together.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

AxelAxel3

So now it makes me into a liar... Apparently it's not 100% of the time, but it's been about 90%. I'm guessing due to Android's memory management?

Edited by Darkstyrm

Chromecast Ultra
Nexus 6p (7.1.1) 
Build: N4F26I
Android Emby 2.8.39

I just tested it for you on my setup, though it's a common scenario for me. I had no issues opening other apps while hitting play/pause from the notification center. Worked as expected.

I do often get disconnected especially when I put my phone to sleep and/or use other apps after waking it. I reconnect by clicking this...
 586f217d9803a_blah.png

...and the app will pick up that the chromecast is already playing something 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time when emby android app doesn't pick up the playing media I would disconnect by hitting the same button and again reconnect which resolves my problem the rest of the time. 

AxelAxel3

Well good to know someone else out there has the same problem.. but no other casting app that I use has this issue..

I will say I've definitely had an issue with emby persisting after casting Google Music. I don't have a solid repro. It doesn't happen often but when it does I have to reboot my chromecast because emby keeps bumping my google music off from casting to chromecast after i start playing a few songs. 

Repro:

1. Start a show (video media or live TV) in emby that is casting to chromecast

2. Click home

3. Cast google music app to chromecast

4. Play a few songs

5. Google music app stops and emby is casting to chromecast 

6. Open google home app 

7. Validate emby is casting on the chromecast. 

Chromecast Ultra
Nexus 6p (7.1.1) 

I've last seen this issue about 2 builds ago, so maybe it's resolved. 

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

I will say I've definitely had an issue with emby persisting after casting Google Music. I don't have a solid repro. It doesn't happen often but when it does I have to reboot my chromecast because emby keeps bumping my google music off from casting to chromecast after i start playing a few songs.

Repro:

1. Start a show (video media or live TV) in emby that is casting to chromecast

2. Click home

3. Cast google music app to chromecast

4. Play a few songs

5. Google music app stops and emby is casting to chromecast

6. Open google home app

7. Validate emby is casting on the chromecast.

Chromecast Ultra

Nexus 6p (7.1.1)

I've last seen this issue about 2 builds ago, so maybe it's resolved.

Agreed... I've seen that error just a couple days ago. But it happens when Netflix and hulu is playing for me.

But I can live with that.. I just hate not getting to pause the show at a seconds notice :(

AxelAxel3

Correct. What I have used of it, it *appears* that is the only time it does it.

• 2 weeks later...
BloodyIron

Hi Folks,

Just got my Emby ecosystem setup like the cat's meow, and I'm lounging on the couch "validating" the setup.

I have a Nexus 4, running on Cyanogen Mod. I'm on Android 7.1, with CM build "14.1-20161202-NIGHTLY-mako".

I know that nightlies are the really buggy ones, but I don't think this is related to that. Also, I'm waiting to get a new phone before I switch to a stable 3rd-party build, so I am not horribly assed to "fix" that right now.

So, I have the Emby app from the Google Play store (did not side-load). I'm connecting to my Chromecast Gen 1 plugged into my TV that has overscan which I can't adjust (don't you hate that shit?).

I'm playing some TV series right, lock my phone and enjoy the show. Come back to unlock it, and most of the time my phone has disconnected from the Chromecast. The video keeps playing and all that despite this, but for me to make any changes to what's playing I need to reconnect.

So far this seems to happen very frequently, in the neighbourhood of 90% or so.

I am suspect that this is isolated to the Emby app, as other apps like Youtube and Netflix haven't ever done this before. Same network, same Chromecast, different app.

Anyways, it's a little frustrating, but I'm hoping this can get fixed some day. So just letting you know. If there's any more info that would be helpful from me, just let me know and I'll dig it up!

Thanks Peeps!

BloodyIron

Ahh I wasn't sure if my issue was related to this thread or not. Do you suspect they are?

Also, holy mother of pearl do you folks move fast. AWW YEAH!

Thanks for the report @@BloodyIron

AxelAxel3

Ahh I wasn't sure if my issue was related to this thread or not. Do you suspect they are?

Also, holy mother of pearl do you folks move fast. AWW YEAH!

Yes, you are describing my issue exactly. However, I did get the Samsung Galaxy s6 edge and I do not seem to be having the issue with this phone, but it has double the RAM and I still feel like it's partially due to androids memory handling.

Sent from my SM-G925R6 using Tapatalk

BloodyIron

Out of curiosity, why was it removed? Also, thanks! :D

Ok I'm adding back the automatic re-connection that we used to have. Thanks guys.

AxelAxel3

Awesome.... I think I was the one that reported it was doing that (or at least commented on the thread) and was worried you was bringing back that problem. Glad to know you got them worked out.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G925R6 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...