Recommend an Emby only server that is good with transcoding

skurvy_pirate

skurvy_pirate

Right now I have Emby running on a NAS which was perfect for me at the beginning. It has plenty of storage and is always on. The downside is that it can only transcode 1 stream reliably, so if multiple people are watching remotely it can't keep up. 

I am looking for a box that will just be running the Emby server and has enough CPU to do multiple transcode streams (probably will use an SSD for transcode cache). I will still use the NAS for storage. I don't need any video card or anything along those lines (unless it is more cost effective to get one and utilize it for encoding, but I think a good processor is probably cheaper). I would like to keep the cost down as well.

I have looked at some of the higher end NUC's, but the ones with better CPU's get pretty spendy because they are more targeted for gaming and have nice GPUs as well. Anyone have some good recommendations?

Koleckai Silvestri

You can build your own...

Get a micro-atx motherboard for $50, add in an i3 or i5 processor, an SSD for the OS and some memory. Pick the case you want. They can be as low as $25 or as high as your mortgage payment. You don't even need the newest processor. A Haswell (4000 series) chip should be sufficient. Just make sure the chip, motherboard and memory work together.

skurvy_pirate

Yeah I could do that, building a micro PC could be the easiest/cheapest answer actually. But would an i3 be able to do multiple transcode streams? I was thinking like an i7. Most of my stuff is really high resolution and the Live TV I have is all HD as well. 

skurvy_pirate

How much would Quick Sync help? Maybe a lower level (i3 or i5) might be acceptable if Quick Sync hardware acceleration is significant.

PenkethBoy

i would go for an i7 - threads are important for transcoding iirc from gen four the cpu has quicksync - but check that

i find quick sync ok but still a bit flaky on my Skull Canyon (gen 6) - and the quality on a hand held is fine - big tv meh - prefer cpu transcode if necessary

also i think qs is limited to two streams - again check that

My NUC can run two Emby servers side by side (dev and stable) with no issues - but is overkill for what you want - plus you need m.2 drives which bumps up the cost

a way to find cheap m/b is to search the end of line/bargain bin of online sellers - you can find some great high end boards for buttons - b grade etc

Swynol

i use a matx with a gen 3 i3. i think its a 3240?? I use quick sync for transcoding and i can start 3 transcodes at the same time but that maxes out my cpu. if i stagger start them then i can usually get a few more files transcoding. The PC also has alot of other things running on it, NZB, sonnarr, coachpotato, home automation, music server, web front end hosting etc.

i may look at upgrading in future and i think i would go for a minimum of an i5 from the newer generation. 

SPEC

asrock Mobo (has 8 sata pors)

intel i3 3240

16GB DDR3 ram

120GB SSD for OS

LSI SAS card (8 ports)

8x 3TB SAS drives

2x 3TB SATA drives

1x 1TB SATA drive

1x hot swap bay for backups

I use stablebit drive pool to create one big pool with folder duplication.

Edited by Swynol