Photo

Duplicate artist

duplicate music artist

Best Answer Happy2Play , 12 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Well the metadata should be only in one place.  Emby by default will put it in appdata now on new installs.  The conflict will come from old install and pre-existing metadata.  Emby will read from both location, it just becomes a conflict when both locations have metadata.

I personally prefer everything in artist folder so I move info from appdata to artist if it gets created there.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

I have a similar problem with teh book section, i have two folders that contain my audiobooks, and it creates duplicates (one for each path), they are spelled the same way, only difference is there location

look at c.s. lewis

623JX2R.jpg

hi @ turtlefacee , this is not a defect. you are browsing by folders. 2 paths = 2 posters.

#22 turtlefacee OFFLINE  

turtlefacee

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 11:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:02 AM

hi @ turtlefacee , this is not a defect. you are browsing by folders. 2 paths = 2 posters.

alright fair enough, that sounds best for books, ill just sort thru the missing narrator info for the other path and merge the folders

Edited by turtlefacee, 21 January 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

If you guys want a metadata driven presentation for books it is definitely possible in the future, but right now it is just based on folders.

#24 skynet600 OFFLINE  

skynet600

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM
  • LocationBerks, UK.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

What do you think about the music ones though Luke?

#25 Tremas OFFLINE  

Tremas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 01:25 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

I finally took a serious look at my particular duplicate artist problem and wanted to follow up. In my case, the issue seems to be related to folder structure and albums with various artists.

Most of my music is organized by Drive\Music\Artist\Album\Tracks.mp3. It turns out I had a one big flat folder in my music directory that was a dumping ground for a bunch of tracks that I had not sorted. The majority of these tracks were rips from Billboard Top 100 collections for various years.

Some of those tracks I had re-tagged as the artist's album:

Title: The Sun Always Shines on TV

Artist: a-ha

Album Artist: a-ha

Album: Hunting High and Low

Others were in the same folder from a different album artist:

Title: Take on me

Artist: a-ha

Album Artist: Various Artists

Album: Billboard Top 100 of 1985

In addition to those tracks mixed in one big folder, I had other a-ha tracks from the same album under the artist folder in the main structure (Drive\Music\Artist\Album\Tracks.mp3).

Using MeidaMonkey, winamp, or other music players I never encountered duplicate artists and didn't think much of it.  Now that I'm getting used to the way EMBY works, it seems like I was asking it to mix artist/album tags and folder locations and it was doing it's best to make sure it didn't leave anything out.

Long story short (too late), I finally separated the Billboard stuff and the remaining one-offs into the correct artist folders and the duplicates went away. I haven't scientifically tested what was the exact case that causes the duplicates, but if you're having trouble I would check your folder structures in addition to tags.

Note: Re-edited to correct misspelling of Ah-ha

Edited by Tremas, 24 February 2017 - 05:07 PM.

• Happy2Play likes this

#26 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Sr Noob

• Members
  • 1033 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

Sorry to nitpick, but the artist name should read: a-ha

Edited by jlr19, 24 February 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#27 Tremas OFFLINE  

Tremas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

:) You're right. At least I was consistant (repeatible, but not accurate)!

[edited post above]

48c.jpg

Edited by Tremas, 24 February 2017 - 05:11 PM.

• jlr19 likes this

#28 yardameus OFFLINE  

yardameus

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 721 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

The new answer is to remove the metadata from your artist folder.  This change was made to try and resolve Artist issues.  So Emby will not write to Artist folder anymore.  You are seeing the effects of reading existing metadata in Artist folder.

So it no longer saves into the artist folder?  Will that affect using Kodi?  I'm not quite sure how much of the info Kodi gets from Emby server versus how much it get's from .nfo in music 

artist folder.

#29 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16056 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

So it no longer saves into the artist folder?  Will that affect using Kodi?  I'm not quite sure how much of the info Kodi gets from Emby server versus how much it get's from .nfo in music 
artist folder.

Have you seen this topic?

Edited by Happy2Play, 25 February 2017 - 11:30 PM.

• yardameus likes this

#30 yardameus OFFLINE  

yardameus

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

No, I had not seen that topic.  Shouldn't we have the option to save metadata into media folders removed?

Edited by yardameus, 26 February 2017 - 01:31 PM.

• Happy2Play likes this

#31 damian OFFLINE  

damian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

@ Luke D id you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a few duplicate artists and its very annoying. I can't get rid of them. Same as above. If I remove the artist both disappear after a scan. If I read the artist both appear again. I can confirm all tags are perfect in the source folders. The tags used to be wrong as in "Alice in Chains" and was "Alice In Chains" but after I fixed them the artist with the old tags would never disappear.

#32 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16056 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

@ Luke D id you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a few duplicate artists and its very annoying. I can't get rid of them. Same as above. If I remove the artist both disappear after a scan. If I read the artist both appear again. I can confirm all tags are perfect in the source folders. The tags used to be wrong as in "Alice in Chains" and was "Alice In Chains" but after I fixed them the artist with the old tags would never disappear.

Without manually finding the issue in the library.db and correcting the issue yourself, you will probably have to delete/backup (just in case) and rebuild it.

But note your watched status is stored in that database now so you would need to use the Server Configuration Backup plugin.

#33 yardameus OFFLINE  

yardameus

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

The new answer is to remove the metadata from your artist folder.  This change was made to try and resolve Artist issues.  So Emby will not write to Artist folder anymore.  You are seeing the effects of reading existing metadata in Artist folder.

This took care of the issue for me.  Removed all the artist.nfo from the actual media folders.

• skynet600 likes this

#34 skynet600 OFFLINE  

skynet600

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 407 posts
  • LocationBerks, UK.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

I am now duplicate free but where I had duplicates the titles I have now have a path pointing to appdata and not the artist folder. The duplicates also had one entry pointing to the artist folder but that went away after I removed the nfo file. What is the correct path?

Edited by skynet600, 12 September 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#35 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16056 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:37 PM   Best Answer

Well the metadata should be only in one place.  Emby by default will put it in appdata now on new installs.  The conflict will come from old install and pre-existing metadata.  Emby will read from both location, it just becomes a conflict when both locations have metadata.

I personally prefer everything in artist folder so I move info from appdata to artist if it gets created there.

• skynet600 likes this

#36 skynet600 OFFLINE  

skynet600

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 407 posts
  • LocationBerks, UK.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

I'm inclined to agree.  I moved what was in appdata to artist and now things are consistent.  There is a place to toggle "Saving metadata into media folder" under Music so I guess if enabled this will save to artist folder and not appdata?  Also under library/advanced there is a metadata path.  I guess the default here is appdata also.  It would be nice if it showed the active path.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duplicate, music, artist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users