Duplicate artist

skynet600
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

skynet600

Dear Support,

I have a minor but very annoying duplicate in my music for artist and album artist. This duplicate only exists within Emby and in all applications like server web, ipad, and emby for windows.  The duplicate doesn't exist in plex, itunes or indeed Emby's metadata manager. The content of the two a-ha's below is the same.  I can play all albums in each.  The only difference is the path on one is appdata and not the media itself.  The image is also different as you can see.  I have tried to delete the appdata entry but it re-appears.  No amount of sync or clean has worked.  I have also tried to rename the A-Ha entry as I think this is the one that is wrong.  All other items in my library are pointing to the media and not appdata.

586e2f19db5c0_Capture.jpg

586e2f4c6aa2e_Capture2.jpg

586e2f6818b56_Capture3.jpg

Thank you,

Russ.

Happy2Play

The new answer is to remove the metadata from your artist folder.  This change was made to try and resolve Artist issues.  So Emby will not write to Artist folder anymore.  You are seeing the effects of reading existing metadata in Artist folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

skynet600

Many thanks for the reply.  That is what I deleted from appdata.  I deleted the actual A-Ha folder as listed in info but it came back.  I have tried it again so deleted the A-Ha folder, restarted emby server, clean db and sync db.  The duplicate is still there but the folder is still gone.  FYI there is a ton of data in the artist folder and this is the only one I have a duplicate with.  Also cleared browser cache

Deathsquirrel

Pop open your Ah-Ha albums/tracks in a tag editor like MP3Tag.  Set the Artist field to the same spelling across the board and save.  Rescan your library.

That should fix it.  The artist data is normally read from that field.

You shouldn't have to do that. the issue could possibly be due to character casing, although i thought i had resolved that.

Tremas

I'm having the same issue, for what it's worth. I haven't taken the time to try an correct it yet, but you're not alone.

586e98029b86c_2017010513_55_36Store.png

skynet600

Many thanks for the suggestion Deathsquirrel but that was one of my first thoughts. I checked with tag&rename and both artist and album artist on all albums are lower case as is the folder itself. it seems that luke might have an idea about it though which is good news.

Luke if I can provide any more detail please let me know.  Server version is 3.1.2.0. It seems tremas is worse off than I on this one. i only have one dup and only in artist. The rest of my media collection is unaffected.

Edited by skynet600

Deathsquirrel

Well as you've already tried it I had to go check my data too.  I don't use the artist view normally, favoring Album Artist.

I've got at least one duplicate with the exact same name, even on capitalization.  Hopefully Luke finds it!

Happy2Play

Removing the data from music/artist should resolve the issue, not "\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists".

Happy2Play

Okay, if there is metadata and images in music/a-ha delete it.  This applies to all Artist now.

skynet600

I can't find that path Happy sorry mate. There is no music folder in appdata/metadata if that is where you mean?

Happy2Play

Don't know how to show you any better, so I will use your own screenshot.

Delete metadata and artwork for here

586e2f6818b56_Capture3.jpg

skynet600

Ah with you now. Done but I still see the two. I had to redownload the artist image a-ha but A-Ha stayed the same. I did run a clean, sync and restart of the server just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Tremas

Same question here. I haven't given much time to trying to fix my duplicates, but I can report that deleting the metadata/images as suggested above did not work for me either.

turtlefacee

I have a similar problem with teh book section, i have two folders that contain my audiobooks, and it creates duplicates (one for each path), they are spelled the same way, only difference is there location

look at c.s. lewis

623JX2R.jpg

skynet600

I deleted all the media involved as a test. I confirmed the artist went away. I then restored the media and both entries returned! This has to be a bug surely.

billzkid

I also see duplicate artists ... they always have different casings... On OK and one all lower case. Contents of both artists are the same.

I have a similar problem with teh book section, i have two folders that contain my audiobooks, and it creates duplicates (one for each path), they are spelled the same way, only difference is there location

look at c.s. lewis

623JX2R.jpg

hi @@turtlefacee, this is not a defect. you are browsing by folders. 2 paths = 2 posters.

turtlefacee

hi @@turtlefacee, this is not a defect. you are browsing by folders. 2 paths = 2 posters.

alright fair enough, that sounds best for books, ill just sort thru the missing narrator info for the other path and merge the folders

Edited by turtlefacee

If you guys want a metadata driven presentation for books it is definitely possible in the future, but right now it is just based on folders.

• 1 month later...
Tremas

I finally took a serious look at my particular duplicate artist problem and wanted to follow up. In my case, the issue seems to be related to folder structure and albums with various artists.

Most of my music is organized by Drive\Music\Artist\Album\Tracks.mp3. It turns out I had a one big flat folder in my music directory that was a dumping ground for a bunch of tracks that I had not sorted. The majority of these tracks were rips from Billboard Top 100 collections for various years.

Some of those tracks I had re-tagged as the artist's album:

Title: The Sun Always Shines on TV

Artist: a-ha

Album Artist: a-ha

Album: Hunting High and Low

Others were in the same folder from a different album artist:

Title: Take on me

Artist: a-ha

Album Artist: Various Artists

Album: Billboard Top 100 of 1985

In addition to those tracks mixed in one big folder, I had other a-ha tracks from the same album under the artist folder in the main structure (Drive\Music\Artist\Album\Tracks.mp3).

Using MeidaMonkey, winamp, or other music players I never encountered duplicate artists and didn't think much of it.  Now that I'm getting used to the way EMBY works, it seems like I was asking it to mix artist/album tags and folder locations and it was doing it's best to make sure it didn't leave anything out.

Long story short (too late), I finally separated the Billboard stuff and the remaining one-offs into the correct artist folders and the duplicates went away. I haven't scientifically tested what was the exact case that causes the duplicates, but if you're having trouble I would check your folder structures in addition to tags.

Note: Re-edited to correct misspelling of Ah-ha

Edited by Tremas
  • Like 1