Android Emby App will not cast to Chromecast 2

macarrizo

macarrizo

Greetings,

I'm running Emby 3.1.2 on a Ubuntu Server 16.04.1. I have a Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1 and an old Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.4.4 that I only use for Chromecast (no sim card). I have a Chromecast 2 and both phones are running the latest Emby app. When I try to send content from my phones to the Chromecast, it acts as if it going to play, but nothing happens. Only a black screen. I disconnect the phones from the Chromecast, and the media plays fine on the phone. Meanwhile, I can cast from the Emby web client running on Chrome browser from my Antergos Linux Box, and from the Youtube, Netflix and HBO GO apps without any problems.

I share my media with my sister, so I asked her to do a test. She is able to cast from her iphone 5s to her first generation Chromecast. So I drive to her house. I do a test with both my phones and it just works. I come back home, I get a black screen. And yes, I restarted the Emby server service, the Chromecast, the phones and since none of that worked, I rebooted the server.

Is it possible that the Emby app has stopped working with the Chromecast 2? 

Thanks

Hi @@macarrizo, no, the Emby app works just fine with Chromecast. The key is you need to make sure the chromecast receiver can reach your Emby Server. That is the key. When you connect to your Emby Server from the app, what address are you using?

• Like 1

I did once observed a similar behavior back late November but my setup was different. 

Chromecast Ultra
Nexus 6p (7.1.1) 
Build: N4F26I
Ubuntu 16.04.1

Actual Behavior:

My server lives with me. I was sharing access to a friend across the state. His screen was black everytime the movie was about to load via chromecast ultra using his nexus 6p (he has the same setup as me). When he didn't cast and streamed the movie on his phone...everything worked as expected. 

The problem:

My friend was casting to his chromecast just fine the day before, so it must have been something that I changed recently. I just purchased a new router and was fiddling with the security of my setup. Then I realized I recently enabled "Report https as external address" (Server manager > advanced > External domain > enable automatic port mapping). I disabled the feature and everything started working as usual. 

macarrizo

Thanks @@Luke for your reply. My problem is solved. Turns out it wasn't Emby's fault, it was my incompetence. I am using my public IP, so I have to configure my router to use NAT reflection to access ports forwarded on the WAN interface from my internal network. That explains why it worked from my sister house and not from my home. It didn't dawn on me until I read your reply. Thank you very much for your help and your hard work on this fantastic product.

• Like 1