Phantom/offline collection

icedragonslair

icedragonslair

Is there a way to create an extension such as ,BRY (just an example) to allow MB3 to list movies that we have on disc but not one the media server for reference for our theaters. We accomplished this with .disc extensions in xbmc (using metabrowser for metadata) and it worked great, it even allowed us to make a note that told us that you needed to insert the disc to play it.

I was wondering if this was possible with MB3 and if so is there a way to make it show whether it is a physical dvd or blu-ray disc, or do I need to get creative with the metadata to achieve this with MB3?

Thanks loads,

Ice

Edited by icedragonslair
  • Like 1

This would be a good feature. You can get most of the way now with the only problem being that the clients won't know the items aren't playable until you try to play one.

Just create a dummy .avi file and we will pick everything up as normal.  Then you could edit your metadata for that item to indicate that it is off-line.  We have a long-time user out here that does something like this and I even added a special cover to CoverArt (Offline) so he could map all the items that were done like this and have them show the Offline cover treatment.

The only drawback is that the clients won't realize the item can't be played.

• Like 1

Yes, that's right.  You do get a bunch of errors in your server logs you just need to ignore.  Forgot about that because I'm so used to seeing them.  I have a lot of dummy content like this on my dev setup for testing different things.

This would be a good feature to add.

Koleckai Silvestri

Create a little movie in Windows Movie Maker that says "Insert Disc" and plays for about 30 seconds. 

Copy that into your movie folder with the name of the movie.

MediaBrowser will then gather metadata and artwork for the movie.

When selected, the "Insert Disc" movie will play.

• Like 3

With the windows server you may see some error dialog boxes coming from ffprobe due to it failing to scan a dummy file. Unfortunately we're not always able to suppress them, so it's really better that we know ahead of time that it's not a valid.  I think the ideal scenario will be to support the xbmc .disc convention due to that and the reasons Ebr stated. 

icedragonslair

Thanks all,

Wayne Luke -  that is a great idea until this actually becomes a feature of mb3 and the MBT or MB Classic clients.

For now I just made dummy mkv's for it to work and overlayed a Blu-Ray logo over the poster, plus added a notice in the description/plot.

If anyone does make a 'Please Insert Disc' movie please let me know. If I was adept at doing it I suppose I would make both a 'Please Insert DVD Disc' & "Please Insert Bu-Ray Disc' movies to make it easier (very large collection)

Thanks again 

Someone had posted one on the old tracker but the search is broken on it so I can't find it.  Maybe they'll notice this thread.

Thanks all,

Wayne Luke -  that is a great idea until this actually becomes a feature of mb3 and the MBT or MB Classic clients.

For now I just made dummy mkv's for it to work and overlayed a Blu-Ray logo over the poster, plus added a notice in the description/plot.

If anyone does make a 'Please Insert Disc' movie please let me know. If I was adept at doing it I suppose I would make both a 'Please Insert DVD Disc' & "Please Insert Bu-Ray Disc' movies to make it easier (very large collection)

Thanks again 

I have a couple of videos you can use.  One has a DVD logo, the other has a Blu-ray logo.  Both say "Please Insert Disc".  30 seconds each with a black fade-in/fade-out.

They look like this:

insert_bluray_zps66cb8d59.jpg

insert_dvd_zps0ef6c61e.jpg

Here are the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vdoljnunfzc43j/insert_bluray.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpxm6q9d5l2g5gj/insert_dvd.mp4

• Like 6

icedragonslair

Outstanding bigjohn, thanks so much.

Until this is integrated this will work so well...

Thanks again folks,

Ice

Edited by icedragonslair

• 2 months later...

Liking the recently added .disc feature for cataloging offline content -- works well;

however, I'm now just a couple steps short of what I need to smoothly include my Sony CX777ES DVD changers

and physical DVD disc content into MBT.

ie.

If the .disc extension could be included with the external player file extensions,

then the system would know that I wanted to launch my "external player" which is really just

the executable that communicates with the DVD changer and video switcher.

Of course, in a perfect world, the metadata editor would allow me to record location info for the offline content
(such as changer# and slot#) and that could be passed to the external player

as a variable in the command line arguments.

Any thoughts?