FR: Add User to Session

MSattler

MSattler

@@ebr,

Can we add the ability to add a user to a ATV/FTV session?

I can run a powershell script that does this using the API, but it would be much simple to add a user to the current session.   The playstate/watched content would still be from the first user.

Current situation is this:

I login to watch something, and the GF is watching to, we want both of our watched status to update when we watch a show.

Next time she may login, and then we have to log back in to my profile to see what the last episode was that we watched.

So request being, let me go back and hit a button to add a user to the session, list the users on the host, select the user.

That user is now joined to the session and get's credit for watched content.

Thanks,

Marcus

• Like 7

MrWebsmith

hmm something already has this as an "also here"....  wmc??  @@ebr which app had that implemented at one point.. i have daddy-brain right now lol

Edited by MrWebsmith

MrWebsmith

586e4fde8ed58_alsohere.jpgyep.. memory was ok..

@@Luke @@ebr  please bring this to EATV and ET if possible!

Edited by MrWebsmith
  • Like 1

This is a good feature and it is on the list to get in.  It keeps bubbling down because I fear that very few people actually use it even where it is implemented.  It just takes too much forethought.  Even when I used EMC as my main driver, I would forget to do it and I coded the damned thing ;)!

Deathsquirrel

This is a good feature and it is on the list to get in.  It keeps bubbling down because I fear that very few people actually use it even where it is implemented.  It just takes too much forethought.  Even when I used EMC as my main driver, I would forget to do it and I coded the damned thing ;)!

Give me this in ET on the xbox with Kinect support and it'll darn well get used...because then I won't have to remember to use it ;)

Give me this in ET on the xbox with Kinect support and it'll darn well get used...because then I won't have to remember to use it ;)

Right, that's when it will be truly useful - when we can simply recognize who is in the room without you having to do anything.

MSattler

So that's actually a good point, is there any ability to save configurations locally?  Perhaps it could be an option that can be saved to the client, per user.

For instance, you are already saving Bitrate, playback information for the client.   Can you save an additional user there?

That way everytime I login as me the other user is logged in?

Shrug.

Either of these would be a hell of a lot better than running a powershell script.

Thanks,

Marcus

So that's actually a good point, is there any ability to save configurations locally? Perhaps it could be an option that can be saved to the client, per user.

For instance, you are already saving Bitrate, playback information for the client. Can you save an additional user there?

That way everytime I login as me the other user is logged in?

Shrug.

Either of these would be a hell of a lot better than running a powershell script.

Thanks,

Marcus

You can already do this. You save the "also here" users into the session of the currently logged in user. Kodi has "also here" and so does blue neon roku app as "also watching". It is easy to remember to use, or not to. Notsure where that came from. People use it often. It is all in how you handle it. It is trivial to add this feature to apps. I am not sure why other TV apps cant do this. Laziness?

The big issue that occurs is the session id never expires. It is based on device Id. It updates and reuses the same session id. The app can use that session id and use it to see who else is watching the session.

Then how do you know those same users are still watching the next time that user opens the app? You have to pop up a dialog asking are those users still watching and let them be removed(or not) from your session as you start the app again(blueneon), or remove them as the user leaves the app each time(WMC).

Changing users wont remove "also here" users from a session. it is up to the apps to do this as users logout/change user to stop the possbility of a user being both the logged in user, and an "also here" user of their own session(paradox!). All apps should remove "also here" users on change user because of this.

As long as you dont logout, and use remember user in the blue neon app it works this way. It will always remember the users attatched and every restart of the app will always ask if they are still there.. You answer yes, it does nothing. You answer no, it removes all the sessions "also here" users.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
zebo51
On 1/5/2017 at 10:53 AM, ebr said:

I would pretty much use this every night.  During the day and early evening we all watch our own thing, at night we watch stuff as a household. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 4:53 PM, ebr said:

Maybe it would be easier to remember if the selection could be done on the login screen somehow? That way on logging in to Emby you could select other users who are also watching with you? At the moment my girlfriend and I just use one account because it would be too much work to manually mark episodes as watched on the second account every time we watched something together (which is most of the time).