Option for changing the way Music is added to Playlist...

doonze
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

doonze

Hey, so I my biggest gripe with the way Emby does music is how it handles clicking on a song. Default behavior is to insta play the song and add the artist to the playlist. I guess some people would like that, I however instead want it to queue it up when I click on a song. Currently I have to right click, then choose queue. %99.9 of the time, I just want to scroll thought my library and build a "this time only" play list of what I'm in the mood for today.. I understand not all people are me, but it would be really nice to have options about how Emby handles direct song selection.

Anyone else think this would be great or useful? Or is this option out there and I'm just missing it? Luke, I'm willing to write the code, but I've yet to find how to become a contributor.  

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

1) The song should have a play/pause button to the left of the item. Clicking/Tapping on this button should toggle play. Clicking/Tapping on the title should go to the song details. This will especially help in Emby Theater because I can't find any way to stop music playback once it starts. There are no playback controls on the screen.

2) Music playlists should be shown in a left column of the interface and you should be able to drag and drop songs onto them. They get added to the end of the playlist. When you enter a playlist, you should be able to drag and drop the songs to re-arrange them. I have dozens of playlists in iTunes and Spotify including general purpose playlists with over 1500 songs. There is no way to realistically manage these in Emby.

3) "Current Queue" should be a playlist that is unique to each user so they can build as they listen. Maybe it should have an option to save as a permanent playlist as well.

@@Koleckai Silvestri

What do you think instead of click title to play, but a + button next to the item to add to queue?

For #2 - yes i would very much like to add a sidebar to the web app in desktop mode. The biggest challenge would be dealing with the users who don't like change.

• Like 1

Tremas

I like the + button idea and would be a huge fan of the sidebar in desktop mode! Even if this was a separate view, it would be very useful.  

Another suggestion would be to also use two different key commands to differentiate between playing now and adding to the queue. I have seen this done in other software where the "play" button on the remote (enter key on keyboard) plays the track immediately and the "OK" button on the remote(space bar) adds the item to the queue. Just a thought, though it may not be as intuitive.

Koleckai Silvestri

@@Koleckai Silvestri

What do you think instead of click title to play, but a + button next to the item to add to queue?

For #2 - yes i would very much like to add a sidebar to the web app in desktop mode. The biggest challenge would be dealing with the users who don't like change.

Sure. Having controls on the screen would be a good start.

#2 You could collapse it and have it accessible when the mouse goes to that side of the screen or via the right arrow button on a keyboard/remote. The Time Warner Cable channel on Roku does this with their menu with nice effect. However, almost any music player available has this type of navigation available.

• Solution

ok, i'm going to add the + buttons. i will start planning out the impact of a sidebar. thanks.

• Like 1

Awesome! +1 on adding the +!!!!

My main thing was an easy way to add music to the queue! I like to build playlist dynamically by scrolling through my music and adding stuff I'm in the mood for as I go. Maybe I'm just weird....

Next, need the same in the Roku app!!! It doesn't have ANY good way of adding music to be played, and if you back out of a song after it's playing, it stops playing all together! Over to that forum I go! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Luke,

saw the + button made it into the new version!!!!!! Thanks so much for addressing that!!! Looks like you guys did lots of cool new things with music, glad to see it!!! Many kudos, thanks, and much respect. If I wasn't already a lifetime supporter, I'd support for another lifetime!

Have I mentioned how much Luke and crew rock around here??!?!??!

Edited by doonze