Streaming issues on a wide range of devices from Lubuntu server

ralphsdad

ralphsdad

Hi all. I'd really appreciate a steer on where I'm going wrong with my Emby setup - it's becoming really frustrating!

I have Emby Server (3.1.266.0 beta) set up in Lubuntu 16.04. My machine specs are as follows: 

i5 6600t

HD 7950 3 GB

8GB RAM

1 TB 7200rpm HDD for media

I have a powerline based home network using AV2 compliant adapters.

I've tried a couple of different playback approaches - DNLA via my Bravia TV, Emby for Kodi on my RPi 2 and an old Android TV box (Minix Neo X7) but none work reliably. 

My media is really mixed in terms of formats and bitrates. I used to have an HTPC in the living room so had no problems with playback, but since moving to a server in another room I have had real trouble getting many things to play successfully. Higher quality files often stutter then fail and I have problems getting HEVC and other files to play at all at times. 

I'm happy that my network speed is decent - so I guess the issue is transcoding? I have used the Bravia 2014 profile in the past, but this didn't really help. Can someone please tell me what I need to look for in the logs? There's no info on profiles in the wiki so I'm a bit lost as to what to change to force transcoding and what settings would be best to ensure reliable playback. 

Attached are some recent logs - these will only show DNLA access via the TV I think

Cheers

ffmpeg-transcode-5b0315be-5855-4daa-8a47-e9bb820f6493.txt

server-63618980178.txt

In this particular log you've posted you're just not getting fast enough transcoding. Transcoding hevc on the fly can be very costly. It looks like you also customized the crf and that could be contributing it.

Do you have any other examples we can look at?

Also had problems with HEVC, started using sync to convert them (which works really great).

Second problem I had was with subtitles, those really are frustrating and eat a lot when anabled.

ralphsdad

Thanks @@woenk - is that the sync to other devices feature? 

@@Luke - thinking about what you said I'm going to try a different build of ffmpeg as I'm not sure quicksync is optimised. I'll run tests across the different devices and post back with logs when done

Also had problems with HEVC, started using sync to convert them (which works really great).

Second problem I had was with subtitles, those really are frustrating and eat a lot when anabled.

I understand but if your device cannot transcode something fast enough then hopefully you understand this is not an Emby problem.

As far as subtitles go, burning in subtitles can also be expensive. You can solve this by obtaining external text-based subtitles. We have an OpenSubtitle feature that can help with that. Let me know if this helps. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
ralphsdad

OK, so rather embarrassingly I discovered that the iGPU was disabled in the BIOS, which may have explained the quick sync issues.

However, building ffmpeg for full quick sync compatibility on Linux (in the Intel Media SDK) almost broke me so I ended up buying a used GTX 970, which I hope will provide a decent boost to my transcoding performance and be a lot easier to configure.