Reinstalling Emby/WMC on Windows 10

EmbyLearner

EmbyLearner

Has anyone gotten Emby back up and running after moving to Windows 10? Need a guide to reset Emby on windows 10. Preferably with reinstalling WMC hack and getting the tuners to work. Have an InfinitTv 6 that WMC won't recognize in Windows 10. Anyone found a tuner card or set up that will actually work to get Emby fully functional in WMC on windows 10?

all4dom

I did Luke. I downloaded it on my htpc. I'm just waiting till Friday to get set up with emby premiere. I'm just debating do I setup wmc because i'm not using my cable card anymore, but I was always a fan of media center. 

I have WMC on 4 Windows 10 machines. Not super hard to install but as you found cablecard so far is a no go. What would make me hesitant if I were you is that the major windows updates so far delete WMC. Probably not a huge deal to restore on 1 machine but PITA to do on 4 especially if you use my channel logos and such like I do. There's also no guarantee that after the next major update they'll be able to keep WMC alive. All works well now but I am not hopeful that this is a long term solution.

I have WMC on 4 Windows 10 machines. Not super hard to install but as you found cablecard so far is a no go. What would make me hesitant if I were you is that the major windows updates so far delete WMC. Probably not a huge deal to restore on 1 machine but PITA to do on 4 especially if you use my channel logos and such like I do. There's also no guarantee that after the next major update they'll be able to keep WMC alive. All works well now but I am not hopeful that this is a long term solution.

Windows Media Center will work with a cable card as well.  It takes some more digging and there have been a couple of Windows updates that have broken the ability to use a cable card but you can back them out and prevent the security update from FUBAR'ing WMC.

Not that it matters to me as I won't pay for cable but the cablecard solutions only work for channels that don't have DRM, correct? And some providers DRM all channels?

• 2 weeks later...
Rumbaar

Yeah, I've only recently side loaded WMC on windows 10. The live TV functionality is so much better than current live TV options.

I need to fix the extender issues, as things like Xbox 360 can't connect. Only issue with Emby currently it's connectivity on "legacy" devices.

dansblackcat

I had playback issues with WMC on W10.  Every now and then I'd get a slight pause/glitch/stutter that would then result in an audio sync issue. If i paused playback and played again it'd sync up again.

Happened on two separate machines.  Couldn't get it to go away no matter what codec combo I used.

Then had the same issue when I installed W8.1 and added the WMC hack to that. (Worked fine previously when I installed WMC from the store).

I also had no luck getting the Xbox Extender to work after a Microsoft Update broke it.

Rolled back to W7 and all is well.

I'd prefer to use W10 but I'm not interested in constantly having to uninstall updates that break things or not installing any updates at all.

Ian-Highlander

I'd prefer to use W10 but I'm not interested in constantly having to uninstall updates that break things or not installing any updates at all.

I've only had to re-install WMC on Windows 10 once since I switched to it and that was when they did the anniversary update which was basically a new version of Windows 10 all over again. Not had a single update I've had to uninstall or block or any other problems at all with it. Maybe I've just been lucky, got it running on two different media PCs in the house with no issues at all :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 1