Box Sets in Movies view

nortok00

nortok00

Hello all,

If this has been answered please point me to the link. I did searches online and in the forum and couldn't find anything.

I'm moving my collection from Plex to Emby because Plex can't deal with setting up Box Set Collections. I just installed Emby and it's working beautifully for organizing Box Sets (thank you)!!

When I originally installed Emby I had one collection that has been ripped from a DVD Box Set. This is under my Movies folder so it looks like

\Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection\ (followed by the following four sub-directories)...

\Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection\That's Entertainment\ (this has 3 videos in it plus a custom poster)

\Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection\That's Entertainment II\ (this has 3 videos in it plus a custom poster)

\Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection\That's Entertainment III\ (this has 3 videos in it plus a custom poster)

\Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection\Treasures From The Vault\ (this has 8 videos in it plus a custom poster)

Upon loading my Movies folder these 17 videos were pulled into the Movies tab individually and it looks messy. At that point I had not yet looked at the Collections tab so I don't know if it was working properly. Doing some research I came across this: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/5147-box-sets-and-movie-view/. It seems to suggest that by putting [boxset] in the original folder name that it would pull everything together in the Movies view under one poster. I did this but it's not working. I still have all of these videos scattered in the Movies tab. The main folder name is now \Movies\That's Entertainment The Complete Collection [boxset]\

It's working beautifully under the Collections view but as mentioned I don't know if it was working prior to putting [boxset] in because I had not yet looked at that tab.

Do I have to refresh something other than my browser view or clear some cache? Or did I misread this page? The last post by trusselo seems to suggest it should pull everything together in that view. I have attached a screenshot showing part of the Movies tab. All of the "That's Entertainment" and "Overture" thumbnails are what I'm referring to. I don't want to see these loaded as separate videos. As mentioned I thought all of these would show under one thumbnail called "That's Entertainment The Complete Collection". I don't even mind if the Box Sets/Collections don't show in this view given there is the Collections tab so if there is a way to block them from this tab or if I have to organize my folders differently (maybe have a \Collections\ folder for these) let me know.

Also, how do I clear the metadata for a single video? The metadata that got pulled in automatically for some of the videos is this collection is incorrect and I want to clear it. Is there a "clear" function for individual files or do I have to go into each one and delete each field separately?

Thanks! I'm loving this media server!!

post-177961-0-02049700-1483415241_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

The old nested boxsets sort of went by the waste side.  If a collection.xml/metadata reside in the parent collection folder Emby will not group the individual movies with the "Group movies into collections".  Emby prefers a flat structure and with the Auto Boxset plugin create sort of a virtual boxset.

I guess the workaround to keep your structure and get them grouped via movie page is to remove all metadata from parent collection folder and allow the plugin to recreate the collection assuming they have TMDB CollectionIDs, or on the Movie menu hold left click on one of the movies to activate the multi-select menu and select all the movies in that collection and create a collection by click the three dot menu at the top right.  This creates and store the Collection metadata and Artwork in a different folder (\Emby-Server\data\collections).

Haven't tried Collections in Collections to achieve only one folder "That's Entertainment The Complete Collection" as I would assume Emby would still present all of them.

Hope this make sense.

nortok00

The old nested boxsets sort of went by the waste side.  If a collection.xml/metadata reside in the parent collection folder Emby will not group the individual movies with the "Group movies into collections".  Emby prefers a flat structure and with the Auto Boxset plugin create sort of a virtual boxset.

I guess the workaround to keep your structure and get them grouped via movie page is to remove all metadata from parent collection folder and allow the plugin to recreate the collection assuming they have TMDB CollectionIDs, or on the Movie menu hold left click on one of the movies to activate the multi-select menu and select all the movies in that collection and create a collection by click the three dot menu at the top right.  This creates and store the Collection metadata and Artwork in a different folder (\Emby-Server\data\collections).

Haven't tried Collections in Collections to achieve only one folder "That's Entertainment The Complete Collection" as I would assume Emby would still present all of them.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks for the speedy reply. So you're saying I can't clean-up the mess that now appears in my Movies view? To the best of my knowledge this is not a collection in TMDB. This is a box set available through Amazon. I checked TMDB and don't see it. I'm trying to understand how best to support Box Sets that are not yet recognized by TMDB. Further to this it's not like there are only primary movies associated with the set. There are also movie trailers, featurettes and other bonus material that I have included. I'm sure there are a lot of these types of sets meaning it's not just a collection like all of the Star Wars movies or Batman movies, etc. It's like all of the Star Wars movies plus all movie trailers, interviews, etc. included. My Movies view looks horrible now because it has pulled in all of the videos from this collection into the main view instead of just displaying the main thumbnail. Most of these videos (like the movie trailers, etc.) don't have artwork associated with them so t,he view looks jumbled and disorganized.

I don't mind changing my structure and using that plugin but will this cleanup my Movies view/tab?

On the flip side through the Collections view/tab works great (it behaves like the TV view). I see the custom poster for the main collection then when I drill down I see the four sections (I, II, III and Treasures From the Vault) and when I click into each of these I see the videos related to that directory. This tab is working perfectly and at least I'm further ahead than with Plex. Plex did not have this kind of support for Box Sets. However Emby is behaving exactly like Plex with the messy disorganized main Movies view/tab. I would post some screen shots but don't see a way to add more attachments to this post.

Maybe I will try moving this into the TV section instead. I tried this with Plex but Plex hard codes each sub-directory with Season 1, Season 2, etc. and that can't be changed in the TV view. In my case it would need to say "That's Entertainment I", "That's Entertainment II", etc. instead of Season 1, Season 2, etc. Also, because it wasn't recognized as a TV series it didn't even pull in all of the directories so Plex is definitely done for me. That's how I came to test Emby. if Emby allows me to change all meta data and it pulls in all directories regardless of whether it's recognized then I'm fine with putting this into TV Shows but hope there will be support for things like this in the main Movies view/tab for these types of Box Sets/Collections. Or if I'm missing something and there is a way to clean this up let me know.

Thanks again!!

nortok00

Under Settings > Library > Display there is a setting called "Group movies into collections" and the description is "When displaying movie lists, movies belonging to a collection will be displayed as one grouped item." This wasn't enabled and sounded promising but it doesn't seem to have done anything after enabling it. What is this supposed to do? Do I have to select all videos in this directory and make them part of a collection?

Honestly it would be so nice if, just like regular movies, a stacked directory is made to be recognized as a collection and as per the URL I sent even adding [boxset] to denote a special directory would make things so much easier.

Happy2Play

Do I have to select all videos in this directory and make them part of a collection?

Yes, ensure there is no metadata in the parent directory.

You should be able to simply re-create your collection with the web interface and then everything will work as you are expecting.

nortok00

Thanks all for your answers. I couldn't get it working the way I wanted under the TV library so I setup a new folder for Box Sets/Collections and gave it the "Unset" library type and it worked perfectly. I was able to set the folder structure and name the files exactly the way I wanted and it scanned without issue. The setup I did mimics the TV structure but I didn't have to rename everything as per the TV filename convention which wasn't ideal regardless because this isn't laid out with Seasons. I had to do some metadata massaging but I expected that. What a godsend this unstructured library type is.

I haven't yet tried to stream to my chromecast so hopefully that works find and I can finally dump Plex!