Hotkeys for Emby Theater (Windows Desktop)

funwithmedia
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

funwithmedia

Is there a more up to date list of Hotkeys than the following post?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/2142-emby-theater/page-25&do=findComment&comment=72843

At the moment I'm wondering if there is a Hotkey for initiating a Search. If there are hotkeys for things like toggling/cycling Subtitles/CC or cycling Audio Channels (eg, different languages) I'd be interested in knowing those as well. I might think of a few more later that'd be useful, but at the moment those are what I'm most interested in.

Overall though everything works great with my default remote settings, which is very nice. :)

• Solution

Hi @@funwithmedia, this needs documentation, but currently we are aligning with Windows media center keyboard shortcuts, and we have implemented most of the ones that it supports.

• Like 2

funwithmedia

Cool, thanks!

For others reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404226.aspx

http://tweaks.com/windows/39108/windows-media-center-keyboard-shortcuts/

I don't currently see anything that would map to the Search function. I propose we use CTRL-F, as that is a standard method (in Windows, at least).

When I have more time I'll see if I can make a list of the commands that seem to be currently mapped to which hotkeys and post that here. :)

funwithmedia

I'd also like to see the following supported (from the above links):

-for accessing Audio Streams dialog: Ctrl+Shift+A

-Subtitles/Closed Captions dialog: Ctrl+U

funwithmedia

Awesome -- thanks!  :)

An addition for the Wiki (would have done a PR, but wasn't seeing the usual easy method of doing that for some reason):

Under "General Navigation"

control-d: Context Menu

Also, control-shift-a (cycle through audio tracks) does not currently work for Emby Theater (Windows Desktop) on my install. The wiki indicates not all things are supported on all platforms, so I don't think the wiki needs any changing. But wanted to be sure you were aware. I like that you indicate that it will "cycle" through audio tracks (ie, each hotkey press will go to the next audio track, with no need for pulling up the menu), as that is my preference as well (and the user can always go to the menu itself using the direction pad if they want to view the list of audio tracks). When/if Ctrl-U is added for Subtitles/Closed Captions, I'd be interested in it working the same way (ie, cycle through).

For each of those, could we maybe have the Audio Track Title (or Subtitle Title) briefly display on the screen for each keypress? Not a must-have, but might be nice.

I finally found the virtual key for Search in my remote software, so I'm good to go with that (ie, no need for the Ctrl-F hotkey I mentioned earlier).

SpecialAgent

I am starting a wiki article to document supported input:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Keyboard%20and%20Remote%20Support

Hi,

im currently evaluating emby and wondering why those keyboard shortcuts does not work for me? My setup is:

Server:

WMC -> serverWMC -> emby Server

Client 1:

MacOSX with current Firefox and using web browser which points to my local emby server.

Client 2:

Windows 10 with current Firefox and using web browser which points to my local emby server.

When I try to use one of the described shortcuts, for exampe Space to pause and resume this happens:

Client 1: Nothing. Doesn't matter which shortcut

Client 2: Returns back to the previous page!?! And then I see the Ajax spinner for a while... then I can play at the beginning again.

Doesnt matter if I use Live TV or playing a local Video...

Thank you for help!

Edited by SpecialAgent

funwithmedia

I know that not all shortcuts work in all clients, so it may be that those are not implemented in the web client. Have you tried Emby Theater (Windows Desktop version)?

Also, when you say web browser, do you mean just viewing your library from within the Emby server browser interface, or do you mean Emby Theater for Web (which I've not used, but I believe has some differences in code)? I would guess that the Emby server browser interface (for browsing your library) is not going to have much if any hotkey support.

SpecialAgent

I just point Firefox to the my servers IP address with port 8096 and using emby. Thought that "Emby Theater for Web" is this GUI.

Im a bit confused now... When "Emby Theater for Web" is an own client, how can I access it?

@Luke: Do you need more setup information? Im running all the latest SW (MacOS, WIndows 10, Emby, Firefox)

Thank you

@@SpecialAgent. Ok, so you're using the built-in web app. This is not Emby Theater. Emby Theater is a newer app designed for use on large screens. You can play with the web app here:

http://tv.emby.media

There are also native deployments of this on Windows, Xbox One, and soon Raspberry Pi, Linux, etc.

• 1 month later...
funwithmedia

@@funwithmedia

Updates are rolling out and you'll soon be able to use MB2-style alpha-numeric shortcuts. Enjoy.

58bc7a2266d4f_Untitled.png

Very cool @@Luke -- thanks for the update and all your hard work! :)

• 3 months later...
Dizzy49

Thanks for the shortcut Wiki it was very helpful.

Is there a shortcut for cycling through Subtitles (ie Close Captioning).

Any idea how to add the shortcut to cycle through audio to a Harmony Remote.  There isn't exactly a Command for Ctrl-Shift-A

Dizzy49

Is there a shortcut to Toggle Watched and Favorite?  Helpful when browsing movies and TV episodes.

Is there a shortcut to Toggle Watched and Favorite?  Helpful when browsing movies and TV episodes.

No, but that is a good idea.

Dizzy49

Well if I can figure out how to get the command to cycle audio on my Harmony, and figure out how to turn Subtitles on/off then I will use Emby Theater on my main TV exclusively.  

Goodbye Kodi.

ShoutingMan

Thanks for the shortcut Wiki it was very helpful.

Is there a shortcut for cycling through Subtitles (ie Close Captioning).

Any idea how to add the shortcut to cycle through audio to a Harmony Remote.  There isn't exactly a Command for Ctrl-Shift-A

I use a FLIRC for remote control and its software maps remote input to any key combo. So I've got a remote control commandmapped to Win-1 to launch Emby Theater, among others.
  • Like 1

Dizzy49

Thanks ShoutingMan, I will check that out.

Still doesn't solve the fact that they need shortcuts to perform a few actions.  I think the Subtitles is the only one that I "need" at this point.

• 2 months later...
mark235

Thanks ShoutingMan, I will check that out.

Still doesn't solve the fact that they need shortcuts to perform a few actions.  I think the Subtitles is the only one that I "need" at this point.

Agreed, a hotkey to cycle through substitles would be great.

That and a working hotkey to cycle through audio tracks in MB Theater. ctrl + shift + a doesn't do anything here. Other key's and key combinations work though (spacebar, f8, ctrl + p)

• 1 month later...
kanipek

New installation of v2.9.2 trying to dump my last Kodi client.

I am using an MCE RC6 type remote and also a standard windows type keyboard.

I was able to get the green button to launch Emby Theater most of the basic functions - play/pause work but I can't get the volume to change via either keyboard or the remote - I am using f9/f10 on the keyboard and have remapped f9/f10 to the vol-/vol+ key on the remote. Tried using Live TV and video playback same result.

Has this changed?

mute is working on both the remote and keyboard (f8)

Thanks for reading and any help!

New installation of v2.9.2 trying to dump my last Kodi client.

I am using an MCE RC6 type remote and also a standard windows type keyboard.

I was able to get the green button to launch Emby Theater most of the basic functions - play/pause work but I can't get the volume to change via either keyboard or the remote - I am using f9/f10 on the keyboard and have remapped f9/f10 to the vol-/vol+ key on the remote. Tried using Live TV and video playback same result.

Has this changed?

mute is working on both the remote and keyboard (f8)

Thanks for reading and any help!

You're doing the right thing, but the player in the desktop app is not responding to the volume up/down commands. It will be resolved for the next release of the app. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

You're doing the right thing, but the player in the desktop app is not responding to the volume up/down commands. It will be resolved for the next release of the app. Thanks.

Hello. im not sure if should create a new topic for this. but i have a problem with keyboard shortcuts on windows on emby theater. for example if you click space the video will pause but you the shortcut doesnt work as long as there is osd. when the osd disappear the shortcuts works again. how can i fix this issue please?

Edit: Switched to tv mode and shortcuts work fine. Weird.

Edit 2: im not sure if want to stay on tv mode on my desktop though.

Edit 3: actually is it possible to stop the osd from showing whenever i use the space bar?

Edited by aahmyu