H/W Transcoding on Evansport (DS415play/DS214play) Machines

solabc16

sonny_life

I came up with another request. It will be nice too, if you add a message if another user are currently transcoding and it's not available for you. For example if another user is watching a video via Emby with transcoding and I try to watch via Emby the same or another video with transcoding it will stuck on loading for ages. I have to push browser back button and refresh. If I try to transcode a video with DS Video in the same time, a message will occur that another user is currently transcoding and it's not available.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Hello Luke,

I sent you the logs. An error message and back button for not playing the dts audio will be very nice for now.

Regards,

Thanks. If you want to try the next beta that would be helpful. Thanks.

sonny_life

Thanks. If you want to try the next beta that would be helpful. Thanks.

No problem, let me know when it's available for test.

solabc16

Hello James,

I have the same issues with DTS audio as xxJonoxx with emby server and ffmpeg set to version 0.0.0. Is there any progress for workaround in this direction?

In Video Station when I try to open a video files with DTS audio it says that the audio format is not supported. When I try to do the same thing with emby server the screen freezes in loading and nothing happens. Perhaps it will be a good idea to be implemented some kind of error message and back button, because I have manually to press browser back button and then refresh the server's content.

Thanks,

Hello @@sonny_life

Thanks for getting in touch, the underlying challenge stems from what I briefly mention in this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43282-hw-transcoding-on-evansport-ds415playds214play-machines/?p=443715.

So to a large extent it is a best endeavours implementation to take advantage of the h/w transcoding that is available, as we're constrained by what's available as part of the DSM release.

I'm sure there are a few things we could do to make it a little cleaner, so I'll take a look at your logs and see if we can default back to the up to date version of FFmpeg in the cases where the Synology version lacks supports for the media.

i.e. you'll get h/w supported transcoding when possible, and seamlessly default back to s/w transcoding in all other cases. 

As discussed, it's a quirk of this specific model and Synology's decision on what customisations to commit/not commit back to the FFmpeg project.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

sonny_life

Hello @@sonny_life

Thanks for getting in touch, the underlying challenge stems from what I briefly mention in this post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43282-hw-transcoding-on-evansport-ds415playds214play-machines/?p=443715.

So to a large extent it is a best endeavours implementation to take advantage of the h/w transcoding that is available, as we're constrained by what's available as part of the DSM release.

I'm sure there are a few things we could do to make it a little cleaner, so I'll take a look at your logs and see if we can default back to the up to date version of FFmpeg in the cases where the Synology version lacks supports for the media.

i.e. you'll get h/w supported transcoding when possible, and seamlessly default back to s/w transcoding in all other cases. 

As discussed, it's a quirk of this specific model and Synology's decision on what customisations to commit/not commit back to the FFmpeg project.

Best

- James

Hello James,

Thanks for your message. I understand that this is not an easy task, so I'm grateful from your work so far. A simple messages that "DTS audio format is not supported" and "another user is currently transcoding video and your NAS only support one video stream for transcoding at a time" will be great update for all users that are using this hardware transcoding feature on our NASes.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Edited by sonny_life

• 1 month later...
Strudo76

Are these steps required for the DS216PLAY also, or different steps, or will that device "just work", or will that device not work at all? I'm sonsidering upgrading to that device with either a KODI box, or Pi3 running KODI. The Pi3 doesn't do hardware h265 though, so I want to ensure the 216PLAY will be suitable before I go that route.

Possibly I'll also add a HDHomerun device for FTA recording, though I'm in Australia so I'm not sure how smooth that will pan out.

My WMC died yesterday, so I'm putting together options as how to replace it.

Thanks

Strudo76

How does WMC die?

The power supply in the PC it was running on just stopped mid movie. I'd been considering retiring it anyway since it's pretty old hardware (Q6600), and the case it's in is an inconvenient size and shape to place in my cabinets. Without replacing the PSU, I won't know if any other hardware is damaged as well.

Most likely I'll just borrow a PSU and see if all the hardware survived, but figured I'd take this opportunity to look at other options.

EDIT: I have another post here where I've been looking for opinions. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49570-new-setup-advice-ds216play-for-emby-server/

Edited by Strudo76

Suusepuus

I enabled this, but since DTS audio does not work I would like to disable h/w transcoding again. Both 3.1.4 and 3.2.2 give me the error "Validating Version : FAILED". I'm on Emby server version 3.2.26. 

Edit: Nevermind, I used ffmpeg 3.3 and that seemed to be the right version.

Edited by Suusepuus

I enabled this, but since DTS audio does not work I would like to disable h/w transcoding again. Both 3.1.4 and 3.2.2 give me the error "Validating Version : FAILED". I'm on Emby server version 3.2.26. 

Edit: Nevermind, I used ffmpeg 3.3 and that seemed to be the right version.

Can you please attach the emby server log? you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

Hi guys, one question...

If i install today via Package Center, i will have the new transcode option for my Synology 214play?!??! Or i have to configure later it via ssh?

Thank you

sonny_life

Hi guys, one question...

If i install today via Package Center, i will have the new transcode option for my Synology 214play?!??! Or i have to configure later it via ssh?

Thank you

You have to do it via ssh. It's not present in the transcoding options from the web menu.

• Like 1

sonny_life

What new transcode option are you referring to?

Hey, Luke. It's not bad idea to add Evansport (experimental) in the transcoding menu. It will save me time to open ssh every time when I update the app. :-)

Edited by sonny_life
  • Like 1

sonny_life

And what would that option do?

The same as the commands in the ssh to enable and disable hardware support on Evansport.

• 3 weeks later...
Jennice

Hi all,

I'm new to Emby, but have a 214play.

I have never used telnet into my Syno box, but would love to see it "noob friendly" in the menus. :)

I have tried Emby on an i7-3770k with an Nvidia 970 GPU. The HW transcode stutters and drops frames at a regular interval (matches an increase in CPU load). When SW transcoding at the same output bitrate, no stutter. Does the 214play have stutter issues with transcode of h264 TV material (1080, approx 9 mbps stream)?

Regards,

Jennice

• 1 month later...
Home0002

Hello All

This is something we've been looking at for a while between stable releases, you may have seen some discussions on the subject in other threads in this forum.

I'm pleased to say that this work is now rolled up into the stable Synology/XPEnology package releases from 3.1.2.0-1.

There are some details here on what to expect: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36814-ds916-emby-transcoding-performance/?p=379641

A big thank you goes to @@xxJonoxx who made their system available for us to test with.

Please note, that this should still be considered experimental at this stage and we'll rely on your experiences and feedback to refine the implementation in future releases.

Instructions to Enable Support

DSM6

SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'admin'.

Change to utilities directory, using 'cd /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities'.

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'.DSM5

SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'root'.

Change to utilities directory, using 'cd /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities'.

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'.

Instructions to Disable Support

DSM6

SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'admin'.

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 3.1.4'.DSM5

SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'root'.

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 3.1.4'.

NOTE

1) As prompted on the screen, you will need to stop and start Emby Server in Package Center for the change to take effect.

2) For now, this change will need to be reapplied following a package update.

3) The version of FFmpeg to specify when disabling h/w transcoding support is dependent on the package version.

For 3.1.2.0-3 use 3.1.4

For 3.1.2.0-2 use 3.2.2

For 3.1.2.0-1 use 3.2.2

Best

- James

Hi,

Would this also work on DS216play? As I'm having some real issues with transcoding.

Steve

sonny_life

Hi,

Would this also work on DS216play? As I'm having some real issues with transcoding.

Steve

In short, No. DS216play comes with different processor architecture and the only way to use it's hardware transcoding power is DS Video for now.