Problems accessing network drives when starting Emby as a service

CalypsoCowboy
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

CalypsoCowboy

I apologize a head of time, there have been Window's patches, unRAID version changes, and Emby updates, system restarts so I don't know when these errors started occuring.

My movies and music are setup on a separate unRAID server and the shares are setup so that Public can see them. The only users setup on the server are root, test, and mymovies user.

I'm running Emby 3.1.2, installed as my main user, on a Windows 10 Home box that is patched at currently levels.

Emby is normally setup to run as a service, with it setup to logon as "local system". I've got it setup on a Delayed Start and it seems like only recently I've had problems. I don't have the logs of when the problem started.

What I currently see happening is that when the service starts the Library Monitor isn't able to find or see the network path

2017-01-01 10:11:12.1244 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: \\cascade\Movies
 *** Error Report ***
 Version: 3.1.2.0
 Command line: C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: True
 Processor count: 4
 Program data path: C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
 Application directory: C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System
 System.ArgumentException: The directory name \\cascade\Movies is invalid.
    at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path, String filter)
    at Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass38_0.<StartWatchingPath>b__0()
 System.ArgumentException
    at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path, String filter)
    at Emby.Server.Core.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass38_0.<StartWatchingPath>b__0()

When I stop the service, and just run the server from the desktop, it is able to see the directory.

017-01-01 10:24:28.6962 Info LibraryMonitor: Unable to add directory watcher for \\cascade\Movies. It already exists in the dictionary.
2017-01-01 10:24:28.6962 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager POST: http://192.168.0.1:5431
2017-01-01 10:24:28.6962 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory \\cascade\Movies
2017-01-01 10:24:28.7118 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager POST: http://192.168.0.1:5431

I've attached the log files from a service and desktop starts.

-Josh

server-63618862258-service.txt

server-63618863060-desktop.txt

Deathsquirrel

When running as a service and accessing files by UNC path, \\cascade\movies in your log, the service should not be running under the account Local System.  It doesn't have the rights uou need.  Change the service to run under your user account or some other user with rights to \\cascade\movies.

• Like 1

CalypsoCowboy

I could have swore I had it running before with Local System, but maybe not. Thanks for the information. I need to do some changes, but will set it up with an appropriate user. 

-Josh

Happy2Play

If everything was on the same machine then "Local System" would work fine, but everything is external so specific user logon is needed.