Skip to time or fast forward?

Jadel
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

adihecht

I would also like this solved for the Samsung TV app... Forwarding to the middle of a movie today is really not practical.

• Agree 1

Revenent
On 3/14/2021 at 10:54 PM, SkippyJohn said:

This sounds like an interesting work-around.  I've used the phone app to manually move the resume point of a recording and then start from there on the TV app.  I'm interpreting your description to mean that while you are watching a recording on the TV app, you are controlling it from within the phone app.  If so, how do you "connect to the session the TV is using" from within the Emby app on your phone?  

Sorry, don't check the forum that much (RL too busy...)

But in the Emby app on Android, you can click on the "Play on" button (looks like a rectangle with the wifi signal on the bottom left).

Then select the device you want to control, and then play the media you want.

You can then click on the Play on button again, select remote control, and you'll be in the remote control screen, which allows you to drag the seek bar around to jump to the point you want.

If you're using an iOS device, I'm not sure if that is available since I don't have one on hand.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
SkippyJohn
On 4/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, Revenent said:

Sorry, don't check the forum that much (RL too busy...)

But in the Emby app on Android, you can click on the "Play on" button (looks like a rectangle with the wifi signal on the bottom left).

Then select the device you want to control, and then play the media you want.

You can then click on the Play on button again, select remote control, and you'll be in the remote control screen, which allows you to drag the seek bar around to jump to the point you want.

If you're using an iOS device, I'm not sure if that is available since I don't have one on hand.

Thanks for responding. This is indeed available on iOS devices. Unfortunately, the media controls don't seem to work - any attempt to drag the seek bar or fast forward simply reverts back to the beginning of the show.

Revenent
7 hours ago, SkippyJohn said:

Thanks for responding. This is indeed available on iOS devices. Unfortunately, the media controls don't seem to work - any attempt to drag the seek bar or fast forward simply reverts back to the beginning of the show.

OK, I had this issue before as well.  I had to reinstall the app, since it was somehow in a bad state.  (Note that I actually uninstalled, installed the USB version, uninstalled that, and then reinstalled the store version.)

This is the thread I created when I had the issue:

Cannot use seek function when remote controlling session on Samsung TV - Samsung Smart TV - Emby Community\

Basically, if you're connecting to the "Emby Theatre" session when trying to connect to the TV, you've hit the issue.  It should be the "Emby for Samsung" session when trying to connect to the TV.  You will also see two items for the TV in the server Dashboard if you're hitting the issue.

SkippyJohn
On 4/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, Revenent said:

OK, I had this issue before as well.  I had to reinstall the app, since it was somehow in a bad state.  (Note that I actually uninstalled, installed the USB version, uninstalled that, and then reinstalled the store version.)

This is the thread I created when I had the issue:

Cannot use seek function when remote controlling session on Samsung TV - Samsung Smart TV - Emby Community\

Basically, if you're connecting to the "Emby Theatre" session when trying to connect to the TV, you've hit the issue.  It should be the "Emby for Samsung" session when trying to connect to the TV.  You will also see two items for the TV in the server Dashboard if you're hitting the issue.

Thanks for the additional info.  Remote control of the "Emby for Samsung" session from an iOS device works fine if playing a previously recorded show. Now that I know about the remote control feature, I find myself using it more often since the forward/back functions work better through the remote control option AND the slider bar control is available.  

However, if trying to play a show that is currently being recorded, media controls on the TV or from the remote function both fail to function. I have yet to see that work on an Emby app, regardless of platform.

SamES
1 hour ago, SkippyJohn said:

However, if trying to play a show that is currently being recorded, media controls on the TV or from the remote function both fail to function. I have yet to see that work on an Emby app, regardless of platform.

On Samsung (and probably other platforms) this is a limitation of the devices that don't support seeking of live streams.  Even when an improved method to skip forward/back is implemented, it won't be possible to do this for in progress recordings unless we force it to use DirectStream instead of DirectPlay for these cases.

• 4 weeks later...
Painkiller8818

Are you still working on this? The post is now open for 4 years, it would be nice to have that basic function in a new version now very soon.

Jumping 30 sec in the middle of a movie is a pain in the ass.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this will never happen.. they tell us the feature is coming soon, bit for over 2 years nothing happened..

The same issue with USB Install.. Back in time you could use it for as long as you want, but now you need a re install every month, which makes it useless for many people now..

• 5 weeks later...
Jcheinaman

I was searching for fast forwarding feature requests and happened to come across this post. I also use the Emby app on a Samsung smart tv. Would it be possible to implement a 2x or 3x fast forward and rewind? Or maybe perhaps the ability to select the play back bar and manually scrub forward or backwards? This would be a vast improvement over the current implementation. Its a real pain to fast forward or rewind with the current implementation. Sometimes fast forwarding and rewind don't work at all and you just get the loading symbol in the middle of the screen. Thanks!

Edited by Jcheinaman

FrostByte

Agree, a timeline using the 10 second BIF files for advancement has been mentioned recently by Luke in another thread.

Not the same, but have you tried the recently added chapter skipping?  You can at least get close using chapters and then FF/REW from there

I think its better to switch to plex since the devs don't even do this thing for years...

Not being able to fast foreward in a movie and USB install every month is just a nogo for a media tool..

I really don't get it why they keep ignoring this important topics

Edited by firas1

Jcheinaman
On 9/17/2021 at 5:50 AM, firas1 said:

I think its better to switch to plex since the devs don't even do this thing for years...

Not being able to fast foreward in a movie and USB install every month is just a nogo for a media tool..

I really don't get it why they keep ignoring this important topics

I can not ever go back to plex. there are too many things that they're doing on that platform that I don't agree with. Too many to even list here. While I do believe Plex has some better implementations than Emby currently offers, Emby offers better implementations than Plex does in other areas that are important to me. I have a few minor gripes about Emby. My gripes with Plex are much larger. Once the devs here actually get around to implementing these few features, Emby takes the cake imo. While the devs aren't always the quickest to implement upgraded or even newer features, they at least seem to listen to feedback, unlike the team behind Plex.

Edited by Jcheinaman
  • Like 2

The sad thing is I also like emby more, but I cant use it as a Media Program for the whole family.. I cant tell my dad to re-install the app every month and also the fast foreward feature is misssing for years now

FrostByte
52 minutes ago, firas1 said:

The sad thing is I also like emby more, but I cant use it as a Media Program for the whole family.. I cant tell my dad to re-install the app every month and also the fast foreward feature is misssing for years now

Have you looked into setting your dad's TV app region to one of the countries with Emby or maybe trying Full for the app region?

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Have you looked into setting your dad's TV app region to one of the countries with Emby or maybe trying Full for the app region?

I really dont wanna change his tv region since the other apps dont work then.. We dont live in the US

FrostByte
44 minutes ago, firas1 said:

I really dont wanna change his tv region since the other apps dont work then.. We dont live in the US

I think that's what "Full" apps region setting is for.  At least that what is says next to the option.  Gives you full access to all apps and channels.  Though to be honest I don't know if anyone has actually tried it yet.

FrostByte
5 hours ago, firas1 said:

How can  I activate the full apps region setting?

Same process as changing your app region to US, but at the very top of the region list there is an option to choose Full.

• Go to Settings.

• Click ‘General’ and select ‘Start Setup’. 
  • Click ‘Reset’ - This will restore ALL factory settings on your Samsung TV. 
  • Answer all questions as normal (Internet, channels, etc.)
  • Once you reach the ‘Terms and Conditions’ page, enter the following sequence on your remote:
    • mute -> volume up -> channel up -> mute
  • Choose US, UK, Ireland, or "Full"