Questions about recorded TV

lifespeed

lifespeed

I just installed an antenna and Silicondust HDHR4-2US.  I was disappointed with recorded TV. It fails to record the correct time window (clicking record in the guide), a 30 minute program ended up as 9 minutes, while a 60 minute program was 56 minutes.  And it refuses to play back recordings within Emby, although windows media player can play the files.

I failed to find a way to have unwanted channels hidden in the guide.  I tried "only import channels marked as favorite" in the server, but then it failed to import any channels.  I  had already marked the channels I wanted as "favorite" using the HDHR web GUI.

Sometimes Emby LiveTV will just fail to tune a channel, showing the spinning circle instead.  This requires either stopping/starting Emby or rebooting the PC.

Perhaps my expectations are high as a former user of Windows 7 media center and a Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner.  I hope Emby can get there eventually and provide a seamless user experience.

Two logs from the relevant time frame are attached.

server-63618868672.txt

server-63618904560.txt

lifespeed

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately no new info there.  I have the latest firmware (HDhomerun setup softare updates the firmware), and deselecting (red X) or "favorite-ing" the channel lineup in the HDHR web GUI had no effect on the guide.  I did try setting Emby server to only import favorited channels, but it imported nothing to the guide when I did that.  I seem to only be able to get all or nothing in the guide so far.

additionally, you've attached two log files. what activity did you perform during the time of these log files, and at what times did you perform them?

lifespeed

When you say latest, what is the version number?

Hardware Model    HDHR4-2US

Firmware Version    20161117

Device ID    10469875

Exactly, this isn't magic, so if you make changes on the HDHR side, you need to refresh the guide on the Emby side. Or you can just kindly wait for the next automatic guide refresh.

lifespeed

additionally, you've attached two log files. what activity did you perform during the time of these log files, and at what times did you perform them?

I recorded a 30 minute show scheduled to start at 8:00PM or 8:30PM titled "The Mick", as well as a show at 9:00PM titled "Nazi Mega Weapons".  It recorded to the hard drive, but not the correct durations and Emby wouldn't play them.  The play attempts were after 10:00PM I think.  I also attempted to play the 9:00PM show while it was recording, but this didn't work.  The file size continued to increase, though, so I guess it kept recording.

If there were ffmpeg logs from the playback attempts please be sure to attach those as well. thanks.

lifespeed

If there were ffmpeg logs from the playback attempts please be sure to attach those as well. thanks.

I am afraid I wasn't clear, the failed playback attempt of recorded TV was a result of the play option not being available for some reason.  "Play All" gives the spinning circle. The other recording does play from Emby, although it is not the correct length of time.

I attached the Theater and Server logs, did not see an ffmpg log from the play attempt at 12:08AM

586a0a5480f7e_recordedTV.jpg

theater-63618912502.txt

server-63618912000.txt

Edited by lifespeed

There's a playback failure here that i can correct. the first recording started late but there's not enough logging information for me to determine why. what we should do is monitor your future recordings and make a note of the scheduled start times in the Schedule tab.

The second recording started on time but ended early due to the server shutting down. it does not look like you clicked any shutdown button so i'm not sure of the reason yet. i see you are running from the windows service so maybe it is something related to that. i will need to add more logging, but that is the explanation of the second recording, the server shut down in the middle of it.

lifespeed

There's a playback failure here that i can correct. the first recording started late but there's not enough logging information for me to determine why. what we should do is monitor your future recordings and make a note of the scheduled start times in the Schedule tab.

The second recording started on time but ended early due to the server shutting down. it does not look like you clicked any shutdown button so i'm not sure of the reason yet. i see you are running from the windows service so maybe it is something related to that. i will need to add more logging, but that is the explanation of the second recording, the server shut down in the middle of it.

Thanks for looking into this.  I'm not aware of previous issues with the server shutting down, but I have only used the Live TV function for a couple days now.  I'll record another show and check if it happens again.

Actually, I can see the reason in the log. The windows service was shut down (of which i cannot tell the reason), so Emby server was notified and then proceeded to shut itself down.

So this appears to be normal operation as far as Emby is concerned, but why the service was shut down is something I cannot determine.

lifespeed

For the channel line up, once you deselect the channels you should run guide refresh.

Exactly, this isn't magic, so if you make changes on the HDHR side, you need to refresh the guide on the Emby side. Or you can just kindly wait for the next automatic guide refresh.

Got it, thanks.

It is just like if you are using WMC and you make changes in the tuner you need to go into WMC and run a channel scan again, it is the same idea here.

lifespeed

Actually, I can see the reason in the log. The windows service was shut down (of which i cannot tell the reason), so Emby server was notified and then proceeded to shut itself down.

So this appears to be normal operation as far as Emby is concerned, but why the service was shut down is something I cannot determine.

There is a possibility I rebooted the computer and caused this, strange things happening with the addition of Live TV and learning how it works.  I'll keep an eye on the length of the recordings and if there are further issues with playback of recordings.

It may be the only issue is failing to tune a channel requiring stop/start of Emby Theater.

clarkss12

If you are not already using Warpster's Network Tuner Monitor, you should install it.  I use it all the time to check on my Tuners.  Perhaps, the issues you are having is because one of your tuners may not be releasing when you need it.  This free app works great for diagnosing some of the HDHomeRun tuner issues.

Here is the link to the app, post #580.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12216&p=95184p95184

lifespeed

It appears the failure to tune channels intermittently is a problem.  In the interest of clarity, I posted this thread.

Thanks for the help.

lifespeed

If you are not already using Warpster's Network Tuner Monitor, you should install it.  I use it all the time to check on my Tuners.  Perhaps, the issues you are having is because one of your tuners may not be releasing when you need it.  This free app works great for diagnosing some of the HDHomeRun tuner issues.

Here is the link to the app, post #580.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12216&p=95184p95184

Good tool, thanks.  I was using an android app, but this is better.