Question about direct play

grizlyadams

grizlyadams

Hi,

If i'm on the same LAN and have access to the same folders that Emby has, why do my files not direct play when I watch them via the browser

Also, how do i check that Emby for WMC is playing direct play?

Emby server is running in a docker on unRaid.

thanks

Griz

jordy

I think you'll find that Browsers cannot play everything natively. They simply don't have or cannot use the necessary codecs to allow Direct Play. Therefore most videos must be transcoded in order to be viewed in a browser.

As for Emby WMC, when you are playing something in WMC, log on to the Server in your browser and the dashboard will tell you what is happening to the file being played.

• Like 3

grizlyadams

thanks - most of my files are MKVs and I'm sure they used to play natively (but may be wrong on that).

WMC is also transcoding, which it never did in MB2 or FreeNAS configs.

what have i got wrong in this setup with unRaid and Emby in a docker container?

-Griz

ok, i thought we were talking about the web app, but in the case of wmc you need to make sure it can directly access the media path, and then it will direct play. if it's not on the same machine as the server, then share the media over the network and in server library setup make sure to specify the network paths for each folder.

grizlyadams

ah! - yes - I remember now, I had to do the same with FreeNAS.

I will do a browser test later and send the logs for that.

Edited by grizlyadams

grizlyadams

So the path addtion fixed the WMC direct play - thanks for the memory jog.

browser is still transcoding though. - I;ve attached the log files.

one thing to note is that the server is doing a parity disk sync at the moment so is under pretty heavy load so it isn't actually playing the file, but I can see ffmpeg in the "top" list .

thanks in advance.

ffmpeg-remux-42054fda-7269-4957-ac66-55a5bf8ad966.txt

server-63618863476.txt

ffmpeg-remux-d7613784-c07a-4a7d-96d9-7e8bfb45b058.txt

You're saying this as if something is wrong, but there is currently no browser that supports DTS audio.  The best thing to do is just press play and trust that Emby is bringing it to you in the best way possible.

If you want these files to direct play, you'll need to go to your browser vendor and ask for them to pony up for a license to include DTS decoding in the browser. Or you can re-encode your files to use AAC audio instead of direct play, which is much more universally compatible.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

No browser supports DTS and Edge is the only browser that supports AC3.

• Like 2

grizlyadams

You're saying this as if something is wrong, but there is currently no browser that supports DTS audio.  The best thing to do is just press play and trust that Emby is bringing it to you in the best way possible.

If you want these files to direct play, you'll need to go to your browser vendor and ask for them to pony up for a license to include DTS decoding in the browser. Or you can re-encode your files to use AAC audio instead of direct play, which is much more universally compatible.

Not really saying it as if it's wrong. As you know, I've just got rid of the FreeNAS box and set up from scratch with an unRaid box and all I'm doing is making sure my config is right and working as it should. 

As to trusting that Emby is bringing it to me the best way possible - if I'd taken that approach I'd be watching transcoded playback on WMC. Once I've confirmed that my setup is in-fact set up correctly and is working as intended, then I will trust that Emby is serving it the best way possible.

Quite clearly I'm not going to my browser vendor any time soon to ask them to pony up for anything; I seem to have irritated you with what you thought was a stupid question - sorry for that, if i'd known the answer, I wouldn't have asked the question. I've tested in the past and browsers on the same LAN have direct played, just happens that I chose an AAC file to test with, rather than DTS/AC3. 

Thanks for the info on audio streams causing browser playback transcode.