Tips for working with Emby and unRAID

CalypsoCowboy

CalypsoCowboy

I'm sure there are a few users out there using Emby and unRAID and wanted to see what others are doing.

At this time, I'm running Emby and unRAID on separate boxes. The hardware I have for unRAID works good as a storage server, low cpu use, lots of drives, my Emby server (Windows), is more powerful, but less drive expansion at this time.  At this time, I'm not interested in building up a new unRAID box and installing Emby via Docker.

The problem I'm seeing is inconsistent playback, library management that I'm most likely contributing the unRAID spinning down the disks when not being used. I have a HDHomerun and plan on setting up the DVR portion of Emby shortly.

So I'm just looking for some tips from those of you with both Emby and unRAID on separate boxes, are you keeping your disks spinning all the time, are there some plugins I should be looking at to help the media, do I need to move my meta data somewhere else?

Thanks,

Josh

MSattler

I'm sure there are a few users out there using Emby and unRAID and wanted to see what others are doing.

At this time, I'm running Emby and unRAID on separate boxes. The hardware I have for unRAID works good as a storage server, low cpu use, lots of drives, my Emby server (Windows), is more powerful, but less drive expansion at this time.  At this time, I'm not interested in building up a new unRAID box and installing Emby via Docker.

The problem I'm seeing is inconsistent playback, library management that I'm most likely contributing the unRAID spinning down the disks when not being used. I have a HDHomerun and plan on setting up the DVR portion of Emby shortly.

So I'm just looking for some tips from those of you with both Emby and unRAID on separate boxes, are you keeping your disks spinning all the time, are there some plugins I should be looking at to help the media, do I need to move my meta data somewhere else?

Thanks,

Josh

I have two unRaid servers and have no issues with this.  I have folders on the unraid servers such as Movies, TV-Series, and emby then points at them like tower\movies, tower2\movies, etc etc.

My disks do spin down, and for playback sometimes it takes an extra couple of seconds to spin the drives up, but I have no issues.

I keep the metadata local on the Emby server.   The main reason for this is that if Emby wants to update metadata, then it can do so locally, and not bring up all of the disks.

• Like 1

Spyderturbo007

I'm also running an unRAID server, although Emby resides as a docker application on my cache drive.  My drives spin down, and as MSattler indicated, starting playback takes a few seconds, but I haven't experienced any issues with playback.

It sounds like you might need to look elsewhere for the issue.

aspdend

I run unRAID on a separate server to my emby server and again, I have no issues, other than a few seconds at times to spin up a disk...very happy with my arrangement to date.

RottingMeat

I have unRaid running on a seperate server, and Emby running on a seperate physical computer.  This is as of the past few months (something like 4 months), but before that I ran Emby on a VM on the unRaid server using KVM and stored on an SSD attached with the Snap plugin.  Both ran fine.  Like others I keep the metadata with the emby server to minimize drive spinup/spindown delays.  The pause waiting for a show or movie to start (for drive spinup) passes the wife and grandpa acceptance test.

I also utilize a HDHomerun to record shows OTA.

Edited by RottingMeat