Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I don't have one at this time but wanted to get ideas of what to look for and what to avoid. Look forward to seeing and hearing you ideas.

Update 1:
As you can see I started this post to see what others had and ended up change it to match the thread decision. I plan to keep this up to date as I go and even post pictures and information along the way. What I am planning to achieve can be found in this post.

Update 2:

As this thread has progressed I have already bought some of the main hardware and will keep what parts have been ordered. I will keep that up to date as the build and swap progress over time. With the help from others I have also decided to ditch the stock cpu cooler and am thing about Corsair H60.

Parts order:

Case SilverStone DS380B 

Raid CardLSI 9211-8i (Already flashed to IT)

Cable's - .5M SFF-8087 to 4 Sata, Silverstone PP05-E

OS Drive - OCZ Vector 150 240GB (Already had from upgrading the Current server for games.)

Parts Left to order:

Motherboard - Asrock H170M-ITX/DL

CPU - Intel i5-6500

Memory - G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 2133

OS - Windows 10 Pro (Still undecide as I will use Drive Bender instead of Stroage Spaces so may go windows 7)

CPU Cooler - Corsair H60

Powersupply - SilverStone ST45SF-G

Hard Drives - 4 x Seagate IronWolf 8TB, 2 x Seagate ST8000AS0002

Video Card - GTX 1060 or AMD RX 480 (Not sure which yet have time to decide as it will be the last thing I upgraded)

Cables - SFF-8087 to 4 Sata, 

Edited by mediacowboy

SHSPVR

That will depend on the type games you want to play and you over all max spending amount 

You did say if want Home Build or Pre-Build OEM like Dell or HP ?.

Case:

There are min out there this is the first thing you need start with as it plays key role in which hardware parts you need in order for everything to work

The key thing is what GPU do you want as some video can be very long as much as 13"in long

Power Supply:

Always buy a Top Notch model like Corsair, EVGA, SeaSonic with ​80 Certified this is life blood of your system

550 to 750 watts is all need more then one GPU go up to 850 watt

CPU:

The Idea sweet spot system is to start with is

Intel i5 6500 6th CPU in LGA 1151 or could go all out with i7 in 6th or 7th gen core $$$

AMD doesn't have anything right now other then FX Line so 8370 is best beat fro now but that may all change with new upcoming Ryzen CPU you have wait a bit longer about 3 to 6 mos.

CPU Cooler:

I like Water Cooler by Corsair there are other like EK-XLC Predator which is Xpandable Liquid Cooling with quick disconnects (QDCs) so add water cooler to your GPU easy but there always out stock,

System Memory:

DDR4 2133Mhz for Intel is fastest possible speed you can get with out going to OC mode (Overclock)

DDR3 1866Mhz for AMD is fastest possible speed you can get with out going to OC mode (Overclock)

My fav are by G.Skill repeated word

Motherboard:

This will very as there lot option idea lee with intel you want top notch Z170 Chipset for Intel CPU or 990FX for AMD CPU by ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, ASRock, EVGA and SuperMicro

Next you need know make your up your mind Case first then forum factor size can be Full ATX, Micro ATX and Mini ITX that what have match to the case

If can try get it with a Realtek ALC1150 Sound Device on board and for love god stay away from Creative Sound Core 3D chip they are useless if you wish to run Linux

GPU:

This will very all depend on the Games you wish play

Idea ones right now are GTX 1060 (Any brand) or AMD RX 480 (XFX Radeon GTR RX) or Fury X with water cooler going really cheap

But If you got cash to burn with out braking the bank then GTX 1070 is next option

Do keep mind that AMD is coming out with new card know as Vega GPU with the latest HBM2 this year with in the next few months which should be a Pocket Rocket we all are hoping it will be.

Storage:

Your Boot drive should be at lease SSD 256GB Samsung

I keep all Games on 2nd Hard drive that at lease Fast 7200 RPM or you could go for very large SSD 1TB or more TB that will help speed up load time, all so it good idea to keep a reg old school drive to back up to that way you can restore your game and other data as App like Steam allow you to back each game and restore them and there are other way to just by copying xyz folder same apply with Origin and Uplay and saving your game play data that usually in my Documents folder.

CDRom:

Makes no diff that just up to you but I get a Blu-ray Burner

There a few little misc thing like sata cables, fans and thing that may need

I hope this help you

mediacowboy

Thank you for this information. I mainly play Civilization 5, Command and Conquer (All of them), and Just started Battle Field 1.

My plan is to take my current server and reuse it for a gaming rig. 

Case:              Antec Nineteen Hundred 

Motherboard:  Asus Crosshair V Forumla-Z

CPU:               AMD FX-8350

Memory:         32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600

OS Drive:        SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB

CPU Cooler:   Cooler Master V8 GTS

Videocard:      NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Powersupply:  SilverStone ST75f-GS

Media Drives: 5 x Seagate ST4000DM000

2 x Seagate ST8000AS0002

Other Drives:  Seagte ST4000DM00 (Used for converting and ripping)

Western Digital WD20 EARX-00PASB0 (used for personal files)

LG HT-DT-ST Bluray reader

Pioneer BD-RW BDR-209D

I know that I will need to replace the Video card.

With the new server build I plan to get another Seagate ST8000AS0002 and put in the current system and pull out a couple of the ST4000DM000. I will use these 3-4 ST8000AS002 for a dev server and in house back up for media.

New server build is going to be the following,

Case:              SilverStone DS380B 

Motherboard:  Asrock H170M-ITX/DL

CPU:               Intel i5-6500

Memory:         G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 2133

OS Drive:        OCZ Vector 150 240GB 

CPU Cooler:   Stock

Videocard:      On Board

Powersupply:  SilverStone ST45SF-G

Media Drives: 4 x Seagate IronWolf 8TB (With the option for 4 more in the future)

I will use the on board sata for the OS and maybe a cache drive. I will also have a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 connected to the PCI-Express slot with 2 SSF-8087 to Latching SATA to the HotSwap Backplane of the Case for the hard drives. 

So If I play my cards right what would I need to do to transfer the current server to a gaming rig.

Edited by mediacowboy

SHSPVR

You do just fine with that current server spec as a gaming system and just replace the Video card with what I recommend for just Battle Field 1 a GTX 1060 or AMD RX 480 will make all different in world with game play as the GT 720 is to slow as I'm sure those other don't run well.

I would not recommend using a stock intel cooler in that small of case beside the stock cooler has very poor cooling as soon as you get any kind load on it as I sure you want to make used of Quick Sync Video which I'm guesting that your going for I would recommend install a Corsair H50, H55 or H60 in place for not only better CPU cooling and one less fan but all so to free up air flow as it has room for 120MM at back of the case

Look here

https://themodzoo.com/2015/08/silverstone-ds380-small-form-factor-chassis-review/4/

scroll down you see the water cooler

mediacowboy

I hadn't thought about the load of quick sync needing better cooling. Thank you for that information. Most of my stuff direct plays as it stands now but we do watch live TV and stream out of the house which does require some transcoding.

After looking at the manual some more I wonder if the sas/sata card will fit and still allow all 8 bays

Also thank you for the video card recommendations.

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I think I found a card that will do what I want. It is more than what I wanted to pay but for compact and convince it makes sense.

Highpoint Rocketraid 2720sgl.

Anyone on here have experience with just passing the hard drives through this and letting windows handle the drives?

mediacowboy

I guess so. I don't know that I am that gifted to make something like that work.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

Did you see Norco ITX-S8 case and with SeaSonic SS-400L1U which will work with that Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Edited by SHSPVR

mediacowboy

After looking at that build more it actually looks like something I may be able to pull off.

I already order the ds380 case. So I will look at it in more detail when it gets in. I also found expansion cables to mount it that same way without making anything.

Thanks @@SHSPVR for all your input. Other then the case I am still open for ideas. I really want to stay with Intel for quick sync to help with transcoding.

mediacowboy

Can I get the topic changed to "Future build and gaming system rebuild"?

SHSPVR

No not here some forum do allow for it just not here so you have to ask the Forum Admin

SHSPVR

After looking at that build more it actually looks like something I may be able to pull off.

I already order the ds380 case. So I will look at it in more detail when it gets in. I also found expansion cables to mount it that same way without making anything.

Thanks @@SHSPVR for all your input. Other then the case I am still open for ideas. I really want to stay with Intel for quick sync to help with transcoding.

Cool post the detail here on that expansion cables

I'm glad I was able to help

mediacowboy

Cool post the detail here on that expansion cables

I'm glad I was able to help

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183015

This is just one example of the the cables I was talking about.

And maybe these to make the card stand off the hard drive enclosure or something like it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998139&cm_re=motherboard_standoff_screws-_-11-998-139-_-Product

Edited by mediacowboy

Happy2Play

Done

mediacowboy

@@mediacowboy

Can you check if you can edit title, select edit your first post and select Full Editor.

No I can not edit the title.

SHSPVR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183015

This is just one example of the the cables I was talking about.

And maybe these to make the card stand off the hard drive enclosure or something like it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998139&cm_re=motherboard_standoff_screws-_-11-998-139-_-Product

That way to short you need this 3M 50CM ver in order to mount in same place as in link that I post with it attach to the bay cage

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403?curr=usd&WT.z_cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow&site=us

PenkethBoy

I think I found a card that will do what I want. It is more than what I wanted to pay but for compact and convince it makes sense.

Highpoint Rocketraid 2720sgl.

Anyone on here have experience with just passing the hard drives through this and letting windows handle the drives?

If you intend to use the card in win 10 - run for the hills - had months of trouble with my new server with these cards - driver/machine lock ups/random reboots/drives not recognised in the middle of the night with the worlds most annoying and loud buzzer.

work in linux (xpenology ok though) i had three - sold on ebay or rma'd

replaced with LSI 9211-8i - cheaper and better card

mediacowboy

If you intend to use the card in win 10 - run for the hills - had months of trouble with my new server with these cards - driver/machine lock ups/random reboots/drives not recognised in the middle of the night with the worlds most annoying and loud buzzer.

work in linux (xpenology ok though) i had three - sold on ebay or rma'd

replaced with LSI 9211-8i - cheaper and better card

I am thinking of going the LSI 9211-8i route. And building it similar to how they did it in this build. Using motherboard standoff's instead of making something.

What do you think about the standoff's.

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I'm going to be honest this will be the first time I have ever done any custom mods on a build.

SHSPVR

The SFF-8087 cable, one is 0.50m or 19in long I can see part number one it and shorter one is most like lee a 0.25m or 10in long so that help there