Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

On a side note I can fully populate the new build with eight drives and the current can handle 12. So again I'm not to worried about the future once built. Hopefully this will last awhile.

Drive bender also has the same option as drive pool where I can mix and match drives. So I can also go bigger and remove a drive.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

I do one pool. With everything in it. Yes risk but if a drive fails pop on another and copy over back up drives or if a backup drive fails copy back from server. I may by another lsi card for the current/gaming system and free up some expansion ports.

My LSI cards are working nicely. I tested them, last night. Solid transfer rates!

Guest asrequested

On a side note I can fully populate the new build with eight drives and the current can handle 12. So again I'm not to worried about the future once built. Hopefully this will last awhile.

Drive bender also has the same option as do so I can also go bigger and remove a drive

Yeah, that's why upped to a 16 bay hotswap server box. Room for expansion, and easy drive replacement.

mediacowboy

Here is current space and everything the pool has on it.

ed9395091a7b92c52a2b345f45b00b53.jpg

Sorry really didn't feel like sitting at my desk so I used my phone to take the picture.

mediacowboy

One day I would love to have a rack. Current house has no room for one.

I want one of these just for hard drives.

https://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Mount-Hot-Swappable-Server-RPC-4224/dp/B00BQY3916

No motherboard or cpu and connect it with this back to OS chassis.

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1133275_g10e

New build should last long enough to let me get to this point.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

So you just want have that to house the drives? You may want to look at supermicro cases on ebay. The other guys are saying they are much better than norco. I bought mine because I had specific requirements that supermicro didn't fit. When I build a backup data store, I'll look at supermicro.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

I will look around when the time comes. I've used both in the past when working for a data center and both seemed solid.

Guest asrequested

I will look around when the time comes. I've used both in the past when working for a data center and both seemed solid.

I can say that I'm happy with my server case. The only things I would mention, are that I wish it were black (a minor gripe), you have to use norco rails (they are solid), and I'm not sure if it's the rail or the screw holes in the case, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to sit perfectly square with the rack frame when it's slid all the way in. There's about a quarter of an inch gap on one side. It bugs me lol. 

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I can say that I'm happy with my server case. The only things I would mention, are that I wish it were black (a minor gripe), you have to use norco rails (they are solid), and I'm not sure if it's the rail or the screw holes in the case, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to sit perfectly square with the rack frame when it's slid all the way in. There's about a quarter of an inch gap on one side. It bugs me lol.

Damn quarter of an inch. I don't blame you though that would drive me nuts.

Guest asrequested

Damn quarter of an inch. I don't blame you though that would drive me nuts.

:(  :angry:

586dba79ee994_IMAG02271.jpg

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

larger hammer?  :P

Are the rails fixed to the case? are they back to front on one side?

is the rack square?!

Guest asrequested

larger hammer?  :P

Are the rails fixed to the case? are they back to front on one side?

is the rack square?!

The rails just hook on, with a sprung square that pops into the frame to stop is slipping out. They are symmetrical. The rack is square, I measured it. The rails have elongated screw holes, for adjustment. I've adjusted them, but made little difference. I even tried loosening the screws and slid it in. It just will not go in in square. Anyway, I'm not going to hijack another thread, lol

Wilky13

@ and mediacowboy,

Sounds like one of you is using Stablebit Drive Pool and the other is using Division-M Drive Bender to pool all your drives. Are either of you also using a software Raid underneath it like SnapRAID? I know both Drive Pool and Drive Bender can duplicate folders/files but that is more of a Raid1 and I am looking for a Raid5/6 solution, along with pooling.

Right now I am using FlexRAID tRAID to do the pooling and Raid. I am running this on a Windows 7 machine, because I still use WMC to watch and record cable TV (TWC copy protects ALL the cable channels except for the 5 locals) so it is the only Live TV solution that works with DRM. However, FlexRAID tRAID network shares do not play well with my MAC OS X machines. Whenever I try to edit any file metadata from the Windows tRAID network share on any of the Macs it does not take because of the way OS X forks datafiles. However, a Windows network share that is not part of the tRAID pool has no problems having its metadata edited on the Macs. So it must be something with how the tRAID sets up its Raid or pooling.

So long story short, I'm hoping a combination of snapRAID and either Drive Pool or Drive Bender will work nicer with the Macs on the network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PenkethBoy

snapraid and drivepool is quite a common setup i would have a read of the covecube forums

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?

at the moment they are down with a database failure but will be back soon i suspect

i dont use that setup myself - just dp but lots are getting good compatibility and covecube are quite happy for people to setup their systems that way

mediacowboy

I only use Drive Bender and then share the pool. I don't have a mac to test how this works.

Wilky13

snapraid and drivepool is quite a common setup i would have a read of the covecube forums

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?

at the moment they are down with a database failure but will be back soon i suspect

i dont use that setup myself - just dp but lots are getting good compatibility and covecube are quite happy for people to setup their systems that way

Thanks. I have read about a lot of people using that combo. Just haven't read how well it works with mac's on a network.

http://lowendmac.com/2006/resource-forks-and-ds_store-files-on-non-mac-volumes/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PenkethBoy

it should be no different than any other windows server - dp creates a single ntfs volume for the pool and you share folders the same way as any other windows machine so for you no difference

reading that link the control is with the mac to create extra files or not - nothing dp or db do will affect that

mastrmind11

I think I found a card that will do what I want. It is more than what I wanted to pay but for compact and convince it makes sense.

Highpoint Rocketraid 2720sgl.

Anyone on here have experience with just passing the hard drives through this and letting windows handle the drives?

FYI I've had terrible experience w/ Highpoint cards.  Absolutely no support/documentation, and a real pain in the ass to get going.  I went w/ an LSI card and run a ZFS file system (which is f****** sweet, btw) on Ubuntu.

mediacowboy

FYI I've had terrible experience w/ Highpoint cards. Absolutely no support/documentation, and a real pain in the ass to get going. I went w/ an LSI card and run a ZFS file system (which is f****** sweet, btw) on Ubuntu.

Bought the lsi-9211-8i

PenkethBoy

@@mediacowboy If or when you need to update the bios and firmware i wrote up a quick note on how to do it (net is full of rubbish directions) on @'s LSI thread when you need it :)

Guest asrequested

Okay so there not it?

The cards that we've ordered are IT. He's just saying if you want to flash the firmware in the future for an upgrade, or something.