Default UI options in user login

filecore
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

filecore

A typical use case in our household is to do the following when we watch through WMC:

• Mark shows as Favourite so we don't see shows we're currently not watching
  • Hide watched episodes by default so that we can see what episodes are now and next
  • Manually filter the kids' shows in the same way:
    • Auto-ratings (U, PG, PG-13 etc) don't always work
    • We want to filter out other U or PG content - for example, we want cartoons, but not The Big Bang Theory, because although its rating is okay, it's not really a kids' show

As a result, each time we log in (and regardless of user account), we immediately have to FIlter favourites and Filter unwatched from the user bar in the top right corner, so that we only see the shows we're currently interested in (in the kids' case, we're filtering out non-kid content with same rating as kids' content). It becomes tiresome to have to do this with every single account, every single time we log in.

The system already knows when these things are toggled (and remembers their state when switching accounts without logging out, so it's persistent for the session at least), so I'm guessing that putting a configurable setting for them isn't a huge task.

So I'm wondering:

• Is there something I can tweak locally (I'm not afraid of config files) to make this permanent?
  • If not, I'd like to request configurable views as a UI setting for user account management
Edited by filecore

Hi, have you seen the next up feature? it does the work for you of putting your next episodes to watch right on the home screen. all of our apps have this feature.

I would suggest you use the custom rating field in the metadata editor to filter out shows you don't want your Kid's account to see.  It is designed specifically for the purpose you outlined (a show who's rating you don't agree with).

filecore

Modifying the ratings for all kids shows is one thing, but it doesn't address the original question - myself and other users still like our custom (and ever-changing) favorites list, and the "show only unwatched" is what we apply the majority of the time. Any way to set these (either would be nice, ideally both) as defaults?

Edited by filecore

• Solution

Not currently in this app.  The other TV apps do remember these filters between sessions.

• Like 1

filecore

Not currently in this app.  The other TV apps do remember these filters between sessions.

Aw. And I guess it's not likely to come, since WMC has been discontinued in the most recent versions of Windows?

filecore

I would suggest you use the custom rating field in the metadata editor to filter out shows you don't want your Kid's account to see.  It is designed specifically for the purpose you outlined (a show who's rating you don't agree with).

A great idea and one we toyed with a while back, the only problem being the sheer volume of shows and movies we have on the server. I'm sure it's possible (and there might even be a programmatic approach, feel free to suggest something if you can think of one) but in realistic terms, it would take more time than I currently have available. I'll see if I can think up any better ideas.