MBC: Version 3.0.117.0 Install Issue

Tanamur
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Tanamur

Hi there - I have hit a bit of a snag on the 3.0.117.0 update. The download/install process appears to complete properly. It starts WMC/MB3 Classic, sets the default theme to Chocolate but then notifies of an available update 3.0.117.0 to install yes/no? It continues to do this.

I have uninstalled MBC completely, confirmed that the C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser\ folder was deleted by the uninstall process, shut down the server manually, rebooted, started the server, downloaded the latest setup.exe client file, and reinstalled. However, MBC Configurator and MBC report I am still running  3.0.113.0.

The short install log C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-InstallLogs\mbc-install.log is below and indicates a successful install:

MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Installing Media Browser Classic
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Attempting to retrieve latest version of MBClassic
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Found 1 versions.  Will choose latest one of Dev class
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Version is 3.0.117.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Downloading Media Browser Classic version 3.0.117.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Successfully downloaded version 3.0.117.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Archive is MSI installer C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserClassic.msi
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Calling msi install
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Deleting Pismo install files
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Attempting to start program C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Installation complete

52e75facf0992_MBC117configurator.jpg

52e762773e704_MBC117controlpanel.jpg

Any suggestions on what to try next? It does not appear to be related to http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3739-latest-mbc-wont-install 

Full configuration specs in signature file below.

Thanks for the help - @Tanamur

Edited by Tanamur

The actual installation is failing for some reason.  Look for an MSI-Install.log in your logs folder.

Tanamur

The actual installation is failing for some reason.  Look for an MSI-Install.log in your logs folder.

Thanks @@ebr - There doesn't seem to be one.

File contents of C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-InstallLogs\

mbc-install.log

server-install.log

server-update.log

theater-install.log

and C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs has only server and ffmpeg logs

When the install finishes it deletes the temporary C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\ folder so it is not around.

Any place else I should look for the MSI-Install.log?

Edited by Tanamur

Tanamur

I uninstalled/reinstalled again and looked at the properties of the C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserClassic.msi file.

Doesn't 21 Jan seem a bit old for the 3.0.117.0 release?

52e7d1dbe7504_MBC117MSI.jpg

No, that is the proper file.

You are installing MBC, not the server.  Did you look in the MBC Log folder?

Tanamur

No, that is the proper file.

You are installing MBC, not the server.  Did you look in the MBC Log folder?

I have logs for the following...

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\logs
C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\logs
C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-InstallLogs

The only folder under MBC is...

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Classic\Configurations

no logs folder and no logs file I am afraid.

C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\Logs.

Or, you can also use the "Open Log Folder" button in the configurator.

Tanamur

C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\Logs.

Or, you can also use the "Open Log Folder" button in the configurator.

Doh! Sorry, I thought that took me to the same log folder as the dashboard info tab.

The MBClassic-Msi.log is attached. I would appreciate your help to troubleshoot it.

MBClassic-Msi.log

Yep, that appears to be version 113.  Don't know why.  Do you have a proxy or something somewhere that might be caching the msi file?

Have you tried running the install fresh from the Website?

Tanamur

Yep, that appears to be version 113.  Don't know why.  Do you have a proxy or something somewhere that might be caching the msi file?

Have you tried running the install fresh from the Website?

Hmmm, the plot thickens. I don't have a proxy or VPN and previous update installs have been successful for server & client.

I agree the 113 msi file must be cached somewhere however, I do see the C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserClassic.msi being deleted after installation so one assumes it would have happened for 113 as well.

I did get the latest setup.exe from http://mediabrowser.tv/clients/ before posting but will try it again. When you suggest running fresh from the website, are you suggesting getting the msi file from GitHub or elsewhere?

Tanamur

Well I tried that again and copied the msi file from the temp folder to save it from deletion so I could run it manually. No luck there either. I am going to have to find that cache.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk 2

Tanamur

Hi @@ebr - Thanks for all of your help but I'm going to chalk this up as a system problem on my side. I had planned to do a full OS refresh on this machine anyway so let's not spend any more time on it. I do want to document a few things I learned in case anyone else has the same problem.

I did find the install cached msi (%windir%\installer) at C:\Windows\Installer\53109d9.msi and the properties are identical to the newly downloaded MediaBrowserClassic.msi I copied from the C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserClassic.msi temp folder during the latest install attempt before it was deleted after the install finished. For this last attempt I first uninstalled MBC from the Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features and then deleted the cached 53109d9.msi file before proceeding to reinstall from the newly saved MediaBrowserClassic.msi  This still resulted in the installation of Version 3.0.113.0.

Maybe I have not found the "right" or only cache? Anyway, no biggy and on to a fresh OS install and my quest to find right combination of codes for my MP4 audio on my extender  :rolleyes:

Tanamur

What I fear is the file being downloaded is being drawn from some sort of network level cache...

I understand and that would explain a few things if I wasn't actually installing 117. The images below are the property details of the intercepted msi (right) and the cached msi (left) after installation. If you have time have a look at the details. When I install from the intercepted, local msi, it does appear to take just as long as if I was starting from the setup.exe and downloading a fresh install on the fly (my connection is only 2 Mbit/s down). I am not sure if you are suggesting the network level cache would be on my machine or at my ISP but after the OS refresh I will make a system image and have a play with the existing msi and see what version it installs. Thanks again, @Tanamur

52e9789aec355_MBCMSITroubleshooting.jpg

• Solution

Yeah, those are both a prior version.  Sorry, I didn't look at the date closely when you posted it before.  117 was created on 1/23.

Gotta either be your router or ISP that is delivering the old file.

Tanamur

Yeah, those are both a prior version.  Sorry, I didn't look at the date closely when you posted it before.  117 was created on 1/23.

Hey @@ebr - Thanks for sticking with this for one more round and I can now report problem solved. No issues on overlooking the msi details...who would have suspected it after the install log reported 117?

Anyway, I was headed to a friend's house (with a different ISP provider) so I brought along my PC. I started with a fresh MBC setup.exe, intercepted the MBC.msi file and immediately saw it was a later date. All proceeded smoothly and I am now running 117. Apparently it was my ISP but may well have something to do with using OpenDNS. Regardless...Happy Lunar New Year! @Tanamur

52e9d8b790a4d_MBC117configuratorsuccess.

Tanamur

Hi @@ebr - Just as a follow-up for my own edification, there is quite a lot of discussion in various tech forums about ISP caching which was interesting reading for me.

The simplest solution suggested there is:

When you are on the page that you want to refresh, press Ctrl+F5, F5 only is a normal refresh, while Ctrl+F5 refresh causes the browser to send a command to the proxy server, telling the proxy server to delete its cached copy and to re-download the page.

I am assuming for now that the http://mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/mbc/setup.exe file doesn't actually change with new releases so when it is run and triggers the download of MediaBrowserClassic.msi that is cached by my ISP, it won't solve my problem unless the setup.exe is able to send a command to force a proxy cache clear as well.

Cheers, @Tanamur

The source file that is being downloaded is completely different when it is a new version so your proxy/ISP should be catching that fact and giving you the new version.  Apparently, their caching is too aggressive and they are not.

Tanamur

The source file that is being downloaded is completely different when it is a new version so your proxy/ISP should be catching that fact and giving you the new version.  Apparently, their caching is too aggressive and they are not.

Just for further confirmation of your suspicions @@ebr, I thought you might be interested in this. After the successful install of 3.0.117.0 from a different ISP, I moved ahead with the factory restore of my server which included the reformatting of the OS partition. After all of the Microsoft service packs, .Net and IE updates, I installed MB Server and setup the UNC paths, media library, etc.

Last was the install of MBClassic from my ISP. You guessed it, the setup.exe downloaded and installed 3.0.113.0. That seems pretty definitive to me that the old MediaBrowserClassic.msi file is being cached by the ISP since there was no cache of anything else left on my machine. The puzzling bit is why this file and not the MBServer installation also. That installed Version 3.0.5135.31685 which is the latest. Any further insights?

No, I'm really lost.  The target file name on your machine is the same for every version but the source URL is different so I'm not sure how it is becoming confused.  Also doesn't make any sense that the server would be different.