Got network?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Nice! I really dig it!

As for your 'modem', those four ports will be a switch. Your 'modem' is a modem, router and a switch. You should only connect one line to your switch, usually port one is recommended. Because ISP 'modems' are so many devices in one, to get better functionality, is the reason why a bunch of us use individual devices. An AP,  modem, a gateway and switch(s). 

Keep building! Keep adding stuff! Enter the halls of nerdvana :D

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

Had to share again. Might not be able to tell from the pic, but my Alexa HA Bridge is now running on a standalone mini PC.

Oh! and guys! I bought a PCIe NIC with four gigabit inputs! I don't know if that is going to help my emby server with faster streaming, or what kind of 'goodness' will come of it, but it is on the way!

I have a little more cable management stuff to do as well. Not sure if I had the second APC backup when I posted last time, but I also have a third coming as well.

I also added new security camera to the property, and Alexa custom skills describe the people in the image frame of my front door cameras. :o

I think I have come down with a case of the '@ network equipment purchasing fever' [emoji38]

Question: on my Modem from the ISP there is four LAN ports. What happens when I plug all four LAN ports into my switch?

Is it a good thing to do?

Does it matter at all?

5a6d23773159b_IMG_2702.jpg

Do you rent the modem from your isp? If so especially if it's Comcast you might want to consider buying a modem and a router. Comcast has all their modems broadcast a open hotspot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Had to share again. Might not be able to tell from the pic, but my Alexa HA Bridge is now running on a standalone mini PC.

Oh! and guys! I bought a PCIe NIC with four gigabit inputs! I don't know if that is going to help my emby server with faster streaming, or what kind of 'goodness' will come of it, but it is on the way!

I have a little more cable management stuff to do as well. Not sure if I had the second APC backup when I posted last time, but I also have a third coming as well.

I also added new security camera to the property, and Alexa custom skills describe the people in the image frame of my front door cameras. [emoji33]

I think I have come down with a case of the '@ network equipment purchasing fever' [emoji1]

Question: on my Modem from the ISP there is four LAN ports. What happens when I plug all four LAN ports into my switch?

Is it a good thing to do?

Does it matter at all?

5a6d23773159b_IMG_2702.jpg

That looks SWEET!!! ok, so Intel NICs are the bomb. Because they are stand alone they don’t rely on software or the CPU to function. You will generally notice higher sustained throughout from them. 4 can be nice too. If you had a managed switch that supported NIC teaming(aka bonding) you could set the NICs to function in parallel or as failover. You could put them into a virtual machine host and then dedicate different ports for different tasks. For example, when I build my VMHosts I will buy a pair of 4 port Intel NICs for them. 1 port will be dedicated for the Incoming WAN connection, 2 will be used as bonded network connections to my network.

I run HS3 as my HA system I didn’t know that alexa had their own HA suite.

I don’t think you should connect all four to your home router. I think your first step will be to pickup a managed switch.

I would also recommend getting your own home firewall, managed switch, access point, NAS, VMHost, etc. I echo what @ said come to the dark side, we have cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Do you rent the modem from your isp? If so especially if it's Comcast you might want to consider buying a modem and a router. Comcast has all their modems broadcast a open hotspot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

He's in Canada. And I believe @@chef has fiber?

Edited by Doofus

Fiber is a bit of an issue because finding a modem with fiber input seems to be really hard. Although there have been a couple of really high-end networking, youtube videos with fiber, connecting switches together, something to accept the incoming connection seems elusive.

I am looking into managed switches immediately, if I can run a VM with a good firewall, I will be soo happy!

I wonder about Unify, maybe I gotta shell out some cash, get everything in a mounted 'U'  box, and start building it more compact and in racks. That thought makes me very happy.

My wife asked: "why do you have a fire extinguisher there?"

I didn't want alarm her, but with three Lithium-ion backups running 'up to' 240 watts at 60Hz, I could only ponder the worst case scenario.  :huh:

"Extra Safty precautions", and I bought them for the kitchen too.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the excellent advice as well!

Edited by chef

Guest asrequested

You can disable features of your 'modem', and use other devices/options.

The reason I decided to use all Unifi was because I wanted one UI to monitor and control my network. I had hoped that I could apply my VPN service to the gateway. I eventually could, but the CPU isn't strong enough to handle the encryption. I'm planning to build a pfsense gateway, to head up the network, and be an addendum to the Unifi gateway. 

• Like 2

Fiber is a bit of an issue because finding a modem with fiber input seems to be really hard. Although there have been a couple of really high-end networking, youtube videos with fiber, connecting switches together, something to accept the incoming connection seems elusive.

I am looking into managed switches immediately, if I can run a VM with a good firewall, I will be soo happy!

I wonder about Unify, maybe I gotta shell out some cash, get everything in a mounted 'U'  box, and start building it more compact and in racks. That thought makes me very happy.

My wife asked: "why do you have a fire extinguisher there?"

I didn't want alarm her, but with three Lithium-ion backups running 'up to' 240 watts at 60Hz, I could only ponder the worst case scenario.  :huh:

"Extra Safty precautions", and I bought them for the kitchen too.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the excellent advice as well!

Now this is something i have not done, but most linux distributions can in theory be turned into semi complex routers with the tables. However there are a good deal of specialized "operating systems" out there that do a far neater job of it. As suggested earlier if you go about something like that i would dedicate 2 network interfaces to that virtual machine possibly 3 depending on how you want to run things.

Without much else set up though simply connecting all 4 ports to your router / switch its unlikely to give you any real gains and if your switch does not support stp ( but it likely does ) it can create broadcast storms having so many routes to essentially the same place. 

Now if you do go to a managed switch, o man now you are talking, if you are a control freak ( like so many of us are ) managed switches allow very finite control of traffic using vlans and such. 

Lol all things i have learned about but my home network is a re-purposed linen closet, a home grade router ( with dd-wrt :) ), a 8 port unmanaged switch, a modem and a computer thats the complexity of my network lol. I did also re-purpose some led lighting that was supposed to be under counter lighting to light up the linen closet, the lighting in my basement is terrible.

• Like 1

The PCIe NIC arrived today. I installed it and plugged it into my switch. the gigabit lights are all flashing and the network and sharing center shows 5 one gigabit connections to the switch.

The emby server has 5 slots now. Lol.

Oh! It would seem that my PC dislikes my new network card. It crashes now every once in a while. I haven't seen it crash but is says 'blue screen' when it boots back up, which is not good.

Could be a driver issue.

Edited by chef

Check that you have a driver from Intel not M$ update.

Also, did you install the spectre and meltdown patch? This can happen because of that patch being installed and programs making now illegal call to the cpu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had to share again! Because 200 inches! Yeeeee ha! So excited!

5a88a9fca5e5c_IMG_2717.jpg5a88a9acdd07e_IMG_2716.jpg

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Nice! But wow, really close to that screen lol

Yeah! I'm moving the entire setup to the basement once I finish drywalling. I just had to see it working :)

• Like 2

mastrmind11

I really like that you have a fire extinguisher right there.

To put out his burning retinas from sitting so close!   :D