Got network?

Guest asrequested

PenkethBoy

Yes and No :) its not just the watts you have to consider

my NUC power supply provides 19v/6.32amps = ~120watts this would be max draw

6 amps over a lan cable !! it would glow in the dark if not catch fire - might be possible with special cables but cost would probably prohibit its use etc

POE is fine for low power things like phones/ av cameras but not sure it will ever get to power high draw devices

Guest asrequested

OK ladies and gents. Talk to me about SANs. Are there special protocols in setting one up? And how do you integrate it into your other network(s)? Is this where you use layers in the switch?

pir8radio

Hummm.....  Not sure what you want to see in the networking section.....   Here is my network with real time info: -OUTDATED, REMOVED-

Edited by pir8radio

Guest asrequested

Hummm.....  Not sure what you want to see in the networking section.....   Here is my network with real time info:  Pir8Radio's Network

That's cool. I'm just trying to learn from you guys. I've never really ventured into networking. 

Guest asrequested

I have another question for you network gurus. I've ordered some dual port SFP+ 10G NICs. I will be connecting both ports to the SFP ports on the switch (a temporary situation until I get a 10G switch). As I have learned from you guys, SMB3 will automatically detect and configure the bandwidth (two computers running windows 10 pro). Here's my question. If I also connect the standard LAN port that's on the motherboard (making a total of three connections), will SMB3 manage them all? Am I correct in thinking that SMB3 won't differentiate between an SFP port and a standard RJ45? Or is there a different protocol that I should be aware of? I guess that was more than one question :)

PenkethBoy

i would leave the 1g unconnected - windows has a mind of its own which link it would use - and it will probably confuse it to have it connected and would probably stuff up SMB MP - with a potential 20g of band width why would you need it

i have disabled mine (still connected) 

other alternative is have the 1g port on a different subnet (as mine are but disabled)

system does not care about what the port connects with

Question for you - i think you said you bought x540-t2 cards - which are 10g-base-t cards - how do you intend to connect then to sfp+

Guest asrequested

Question for you - i think you said you bought x540-t2 cards - which are 10g-base-t cards - how do you intend to connect then to sfp+

I'm eventually gonna get that SFP+ switch, but in the mean time, the cards will be connected to the SFP ports on my existing switch. I'm using SFP+ 10G cables

PenkethBoy

if i understood you correctly you have 540's which have base-t connectors i.e. r45 and you said you were connecting them via sfp cables which will not work

Guest asrequested

if i understood you correctly you have 540's which have base-t connectors i.e. r45 and you said you were connecting them via sfp cables which will not work

Damn it! I thought the ports on the card were SFP+, lol

I'll get some of these

https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-SFP-GE-T-1000Base-T-Transceiver-connector/dp/B01C6P0GFK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483898748&sr=8-4&keywords=sfp+to+rj45

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

i would just connect to the switch with cat6a cable for now thats an expensive way to go - you will not lose any speed

the x520's would have worked :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

i would just connect to the switch with cat6a cable for now thats an expensive way to go - you will not lose any speed

How have you connected yours to your 10G switch?

PenkethBoy

yes two 15m 6a cables as switch in other room - then two cat 6 (short trun) to my storage server - so 4No. connections currently with sfp+ between the switches

they will work at 1g fine

when you get your 10g switch just move the cables over

Guest asrequested

yes two 15m 6a cables as switch in other room - then two cat 6 (short trun) to my storage server - so 4No. connections currently with sfp+ between the switches

they will work at 1g fine

when you get your 10g switch just move the cables over

But I'll need 10g transceivers, then. For the SFP+ ports. 

PenkethBoy

did you not buy dac cables the ciso ones

Edited by PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

yep plug straight into your switch sfp+ ports - trans are those things on the end

those are fine for connecting switches together

and would work with the x520

but you are fine for now no need to buy anything else

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

yep plug straight into your switch sfp+ ports - trans are those things on the end

those are fine for connecting switches together

and would work with the x520

but you are fine for now no need to buy anything else

Yeah, I planned ahead a little. That's why I bought new cat6 cables. But when I'm looking at transceivers, 10G's are really expensive. I should have ordered cards like these

PenkethBoy

why?

the 10g base-t work the same and have the same speed cost considerably less

only downside is length of cable - but i doubt you need over 100m and slightly worse latency which you will never notice

Guest asrequested

Just jammed these guys, in. They work really well!

X540 T2 10G Dual RJ45 Ports PCI-E Ethernet Network Adapter

58747ee67d6ad_10Gethernetcards.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2