Flashing an LSI SAS card to IT

Guest asrequested

PenkethBoy

No, it's stuck like that. If I check it and hit set, it doesn't retain the setting. It goes right back to that  :blink:

Probably because the disk does not support Adv Pow Man - check on the Disk Details in Scanner

But i dont think its your problem as the HGST drives do have APM and i do not have it set either and they do go into standby

59acbb825d2e5_Capture.jpg

Guest asrequested

59acbc6a10433_Capture.jpg

I does happen - not that it helps  :P

lol...I don't seem to have that column. I was looking for it. I just disabled the windows search, and rebooted

PenkethBoy

ok hopefully you are close to getting it sorted

as a test set the spindown in win10 power management to a short period and see if each disk goes to sleep

did you remove the indexing on every drive?

Guest asrequested

ok hopefully you are close to getting it sorted

as a test set the spindown in win10 power management to a short period and see if each disk goes to sleep

did you remove the indexing on every drive?

I'm in the process. I have to use disk management, as they don't have drive letters. 

Guest asrequested

yeah will take time if you have lots of small files

The music is the worst, but it seems to be quick enough. I don't have anywhere near what you have :)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Well, even selecting to put the drives into standby, they keep moving right along. So I think that there is no direct control of the drives, through software. I'll have to see if I can update the firmware...

Guest asrequested

I was able to update the firmware on my backup server,last night. It only has one card, and now it boots much quicker :) When I tried it on the main server, it came back with could not find any LSI devices. I have a feeling its because there are two. They are both present in the device manager. This may also be why there is no power control. I'm going to pull one, today, and try updating it. If that works, I'll test the power control. I may need to use an expander. Not a big deal. I hope I'm right.

Guest asrequested

That's a bust. The one I upgraded, I put in the main server by itself. Same thing, the disks just spin, no control what so ever. I've got a SATA card. I'm gonna test with that, and rule out the backplanes. And for whatever reason, I can't update the firmware on the other LSI cards, through windows. I don't think I need to, though. They are both P19

PenkethBoy

IIRC you have to update the bios on the cards in uefi not windows that comes later in the process i detailed early on in this thread a few months ago.

Guest asrequested

59ad8ddb238bb_Capture.jpg

You are using this to change the disk sleep option time?

Yes. I've tried different times.

IIRC you have to update the bios on the cards in uefi not windows that comes later in the process i detailed early on in this thread a few months ago.

The first card updated perfectly, through the command line. The other two, won't. I've got the SATA card in. Running tests

Guest asrequested

Well, I can't explain it. They just don't turn off. The only thing left to try is pull the drives and connect them directly to SATA cables.

Guest asrequested

If I use scanner to put them in standby, I can feel them turn off. But they turn on again, within seconds. I'm trying to narrow it down to what is doing that

Guest asrequested

Apparently there's no way around this, in windows 10. A lot of people have reported the same issue, with no resolution. I've tried every configuration I can come up with. No bueno!

PenkethBoy

hmm odd - but thats MS for you

if i get some time in near future i will pop in a HDD to my win10 machine and give it a go

Guest asrequested

One guy said there was an issue with Intel rapid storage, and the solution was to uninstall it. But I don't have it installed. I'm wondering if its to do with having SSDs and mechanical drives, and there's a bug where it can't tell the different, so it wakes all the drives? I have no evidence, just an idea...

PenkethBoy

irs has been seen to have issue - but no that i have seen for spin down - more crashing/errors

anythings possible i suppose - have you got samsung magician loaded?

PenkethBoy

Just been reading about this

the intel RST drivers - ver 13.6.3.1001 appear to work (spin HDD down) with win10 anything later does not - these are for win 8.1 but work with Win10

Your m/b manufacturer might have them listed for your board

I dont use them at all - dont load them as no need with DP

Edited by PenkethBoy