Offset transcoding - Separate Transcoding Server

Bobba86

rbjtech

I'm going to look into this - it's actually extremely easy to copy the temp .ts files back into a reusable permanent file.

ffmpeg.exe" -i "input.m3u8" -codec copy output.mp4

I just did this on a test transcode - and it worked perfectly (audio sync is slightly out - but video plays perfectly)

As each transcode gets a unique filename, then with a bit of logic and post processing this might be a reasonable idea ..

I'm going to move this to another thread.

• 3 months later...
msloat

I certainly love this idea.  My DS418 isn't fast enough to do all the conversions etc so I wrote a script on my DS418 to transfer those files to be converted to my pc at the end of the night.  My PC has a script that converts all the TS files to MP4 and then deletes the TS file.  Then those are uploaded back to Emby.  I wish there was a way to tag which videos are recorded from which user then I could transfer those to their folders.  Which at this point I do manually.  Some sort of move feature would be cool too.  I was trying this on My RPI too but the 4s are not that fast as I had hoped to transcode.

Edited by msloat

10 hours ago, msloat said:

I certainly love this idea.  My DS418 isn't fast enough to do all the conversions etc so I wrote a script on my DS418 to transfer those files to be converted to my pc at the end of the night.  My PC has a script that converts all the TS files to MP4 and then deletes the TS file.  Then those are uploaded back to Emby.  I wish there was a way to tag which videos are recorded from which user then I could transfer those to their folders.  Which at this point I do manually.  Some sort of move feature would be cool too.  I was trying this on My RPI too but the 4s are not that fast as I had hoped to transcode.

Hi.  Why not just use that PC as. your server?

• 6 months later...
xtrachrispyduck

I'm personally interested in this because I host Emby on a Kubernetes cluster of Raspberry Pi 4's. Each is easily capable of handling a single job, but two or more puts a lot of strain on them. I played around with https://github.com/munnerz/kube-plex when I used Plex and I may adapt that to work for Emby as a short-term solution, but it adds a lot of overhead to starting transcode jobs. 

• 2 years later...
pglbrookes

This does sound like a really useful feature (not sure I would use it now as emby is about to relocate to a thoroughly excessive server because it pleases me!)

I'm not a programmer and it would be a bit inefficient in power cycles but I would think something like the below might be simpler to implement.

when unused transcoding can only manage one more 1080p WOL transcode server.

transcode server receives request for stream - this uses the local share location in the library settings.

Output stream to emby server, which restreams to client.

This way the emby server implements the local emby client system to request the stream from the transcoder with wol. 

The server needs no config really as can be auto detected and only needs the IP address adding the emby server for wol. As all clients can it takes the local address of the file share,

There would be additional overhead from streaming through emby server, and often the original file going through the same network connection but this would all be on local LAN 99.99% of the time 1Gbit +

Could even be on a dedicated peer to peer nic.

It wouldn't be a truly distributed system but would keep the management on the server... It might also be possible for the server to match the stream and take over if capacity is freed up and power down the transcode server.

I would think it would also make multiple transcode servers trivial - not sure on the capabilities of current Rpi models but it could be a stack of them making it low cost to implement, and low power in use. 

Ultimately with a dedicated image for the pi.

Could even be set to self register with the server and set/lock it's own IP.

Sorry for the excessive info, went down a speculative rabbit hole.

• Thanks 1