Sync operations - ver 4.2.173

jordy

Hi,

I haven't used Ember for a while but am going away for a few days and thought I'd use it to sync some eps for offline usage as I don't have a great upload speed from home and limited mobile data anyway.

I set up sync for a TV series with 10 eps. A couple of things I've noticed:

1. Sync will not start if Ember is not "On Screen"
  2. If Ember is on screen, sync of the first un-synced file will commence and not stop until finished even though I might minimise Ember and do other stuff whilst it happening. BUT, Ember will not start the next file until I maximise Ember again, and so it repeats until the sync is complete.
  3. IIRC, there used to be a menu item titled "Offline" for synced items - this is no longer there.
  4. Synced items used to have a "Synced" icon on their images to advise that they were available offline - this is no longer there
  5. per 3 & 4 above - how then is the user supposed to know what he has on the machine for offline playback?

If i have any problems with playback whilst I'm offline I'll let you know...

cheers

EDIT: Ok just re-started Ember and item 3 is resolved - the "Offline" Menu item is back. Must be enabled only when synced files are available?

Edited by jordy

Ok, some follow up. First up, I'm using a Surface Pro 3 i5 with Win10 Pro fully updated to Anniversary edition, No changes to codec settings or packs etc.

• On my first attempt to play the synced files Ember would not play them at all it just exited with no explanation or error msg.
  • That was with the internet available. So I turned off the internet and restarted Ember, This time it showed me a list of known servers and an Offline option.
  • I chose Offline and was then asked to log on. I was then able to play the file, but it was out of sync with Video ahead of Audio. I could not rectify this at all.
  • As a test I loaded up VLC and played it with the default settings (no sync adjustment) - it played fine no sync problems at all.
  • After playing the first file I tried Ember again but still out of sync.

I guess there is still some work to do...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
jordy

@@7illusions, seeing as you've been around on the forum in the last few hours, I thought I'd give this a bump. Have you looked at the issues noted above?

Edited by jordy

7illusions

@@7illusions, seeing as you've been around on the forum in the last few hours, I thought I'd give this a bump. Have you looked at the issues noted above?

Sorry, this issue slipped my mind. I will do some investigation and report back.

• Like 1

jordy

Just for comparison purposes... I am aware that VLC will pretty much play anything you throw at it using it's own built in codecs. So, I played the same file with the built in Windows 10 "Films & TV" app which, I'm assuming, will use the same windows default codecs as Ember (correct me if I'm wrong on this) and it played perfectly - as it does in VLC and ET Desktop app - no A/V sync issues.

cheers

EDIT: I should also add that the files were synced as "Original" quality.

5871e475a7e17_mediaInfo.jpg

Edited by jordy

@@Luke, @@7illusions, Can you guys tell me why a Sync job (initiated from the server) will not start unless the application is open and in focus on the receiving machine please? IMHO, it shouldn't be necessary and is a pia. Surely all you need is for the receiving machine/phone/tablet to be online at the time, then files are transferred across and a server flag is set for the receiving app (Android, Ember, ET - soon I hope, etc) to look in their sync folder and pick them up when it next starts. Comments please :)

EDIT: Update it doesn't have to be in focus as the sync job finished whilst I was writing this on the receiving machine. BUT the App still needs to be open else nothing happens...

Edited by jordy

Ok but Ember does. And that's the only way I can sync to my surface pro 3. It's very annoying.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

7illusions

It's fixed in the upcoming release. The background workers was disabled a while ago since it caused some strange issues and I didn't have the time to sort it then.

• Like 1

It's fixed in the upcoming release. The background workers was disabled a while ago since it caused some strange issues and I didn't have the time to sort it then.

Did you manage to have a look at the playback issue for MKV files?

7illusions

Did you manage to have a look at the playback issue for MKV files?

Can you make sure that you jhave this update installed and then try again:

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-build-14393-693-now-available-users-pcs-mobile/

It addresses quite a lot of playback issues in Media Foundation

Can you make sure that you jhave this update installed and then try again:

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-build-14393-693-now-available-users-pcs-mobile/

It addresses quite a lot of playback issues in Media Foundation

Yeah, that got installed yesterday. I'll test and let you know.

Yeah, that got installed yesterday. I'll test and let you know.

Hey @@7illusions, no good. Playback is stuttery and because of that it's difficult to say whether the audio is out of sync or not. File is MKV @720p - h264 / AC3 5.1

Will post media info details shortly.

EDIT: add MediaInfo:

58788d92a83e1_mediaInfo.jpg

Edited by jordy