Emby Improperly Handles Genres with "/" (forward-slashes) in them

GoldFiNNger
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

GoldFiNNger

When importing audio files with a "/" (forward-slash) in the name, it will import them into two genres. (e.g., Rap/Hip-Hop → Rap and Hip-Hop)

After clearing the genres (through Emby) and adding a genre name with a "/" in it, it will split into two genres, BUT the genres will NOT be shown in the "Genres" subsection. [see attachment 01]

- When I clip on the genre "Hip-Hop" or "Rap" on the album's page, it will load a blank screen with the full (slash included) genre name on top [see attachment 02]

It's a minor issue, but a nuisance. Now, I cannot access music from the "genres subsection" if their genres included "slashes". 

It would be nice to either (1) allow special characters like "slashes" in genre names, or (2) employ a feedback mechanism that prevents the use of slashes in genre names & notifies the user in real-time when attempting to add a genre with a "/", or other special characters in it. 

post-173937-0-46393200-1482617896_thumb.png

post-173937-0-21969500-1482617904_thumb.png

GoldFiNNger

UPDATE - Genre cleaner was installed upon initial music import.

- I've uninstalled Genre Cleaner

- I've removed the Music folders, passed them through MusicBrainz Picard to correct Metadata, then readied Music folders

- PROBLEM = still, genres with "/" in their name are not being displayed on the genres subsection

* NOTE - I can still filter by "Rap" and "Hip-Hop" individually using Emby's filter function, it's just that the genre does not show up in the genres subsection, neither as one (Rap/Hip-Hop), nor two separate genres (Rap + Hip-Hop)

• Solution

Hi @@GoldFiNNger, when parsing music tags, this is by design as the / character is commonly used as a delimiter. @@ginjaninja

You can however manually add genres with a /.

The editing worked fine for me as far as showing up in genres, but with a caveat - it did not show up in the genres view until after the next library scan. that's something we can look at improving for a future release so that you don't need to do that.

• Like 2

GoldFiNNger

Subsequent library scans didn't help make those genres visible in the genres view.

I've tried removing them from the Library, performing a clean database function, re-entering the metadata with Picard, then importing them a new to no avail.

I even tried using Emby's metadata editor.

Good news is that Kodi's genres view does display the /-delimited genres as separate genres, which I can live with peacefully.

________

It would be hIghly appreciated if you, or anybody else, can help direct me as to how to add genres while preventing the / from behaving as a delimiter.

Definitely not a high-priority issue, but I hope Emby apps can display these genres at least as Kodi currently does in the future.

As far as newly added genres not showing up after a library scan. I tested with the web app, and no problem found. The genre showed up in the Genres tab. Thanks !

GoldFiNNger

As far as newly added genres not showing up after a library scan. I tested with the web app, and no problem found. The genre showed up in the Genres tab. Thanks !

Thanks @@Luke, I'll play around with it again and look at the logs more closely when I find the free time to tinker, and I'll update you if I'm still hitting a wall

GoldFiNNger

In your audio tags try using a semi-colon for a delimiter.

For anybody confronted with the same issue, save yourself from the hassle and just use another character to separate the genres, unless you're insistent on importing multi-genre tracks.

I know how OCD some of us can get when organizing music libraries, and how ugly a semicolon ( ; ) might look, but there are plenty other characters you can use that will allow you to not lose sleep at night.

Try an ampersand ( & ) instead, personally my favorite and looks good in all my apps.

All is running smoothly now. Though, with some work, it is possible to use the ( / ) without it behaving like a delimiter, I highly recommend you follow @@Luke's suggestion and use any other symbol that won't drive you crazy in the interest of long-term stability and cross-app/platform compatibility.