2Qs: Setup for Server as a service, and repository for old versions?

Marc_G

Hi folks,

Next week I build a new Emby server, which will be an always-on mostly headless system. After reading the comparison thread "Which is better..." I think I'd rather set it up as a server. I don't want to have the account on this system logged in all of the time.

So, is there a current link to how to set Emby Server up as a service? I poked around and didn't find anything new enough to trust.

And... forgive me folks... I'd rather stick with the server version I currently have, which is the 3.0.8500 release, until there's a good reason to move on to 3.1.1 or whatever. I'm cautions and haven't run into any problems in my use of the 8500 server version, so I'd rather not change. But, based on the web install method, I don't think I actually have a copy of the installer handy. Is there a repository I can grab it from?

Thanks all!

Happy holidays, and see you on the other side!

Marc

Happy2Play

There is not per say installer for versions.  The only folder that changes is the system folder and the old version gets renamed to system.old and the new system folder is the new version.  So previous versions can be found on GitHub.

As for running as a service it is just like the note says in settings.  Ensure you don't have "Run server at startup" enabled, then run "services.msc" and find Emby Server and change from "manual" to "Automaic (delayed start)".  Depending on your setup, whether you need to set logon credentials. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

The logon credintials H2P is referring to really only need to be changed if your media is located on another device from the server, such as a NAS.  Then the logon account/password for the service must also be a username/password on the NAS which has access to your media.  Otherwise the default account for the service works just fine.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1