Difference b/w Roku Emby App and Roku Media Player Access for MP3s?

ashbinder

ashbinder

Hi there,

Long time user of Emby/Media Browser and have lurked on this forum for awhile; extremely helpful!

Anyways, here's an issue that I've encountered when using the Roku Emby app - when I play MP3s, some of files crash the Roku and the Roku will restart.  

Things I've tried to debug:

- checking for corruption in the MP3s that freeze (none could be found)

- trying Emby Neon Light, disabling transcode to AAC, but still freezes on the same files at the exact same point

Then, I decide to try using the native Roku Media Player channel and accessing Emby (I believe through DLNA?) to play the same files.  Success!  Played for hours on end with no crashing of the Roku.

So here's my question: what is the difference in how the Emby Roku App accesses files vs. the Roku Media Player App?  Seems unlikely it's the files if the Media Player works.

Thanks for any insight,

Mike

Indeed...

Roku broke roAudioPlayer() and its ability to handle a queue internally.

Roku media player kind of sucks to use. There is a row of songs, and you cant press play from the row, only enter it with pressing ok, and then it will play. This creates an roAudioPlayer with 1 song. Each time you want to change songs, it becomes painful.

The official roku app, loads into roAudioPlayer() a full queue of the album. Blue neon does this differently, it works with albums, and any row containing audio files. This is so you can easily change songs by navigate the list given of what is in the queue. It is much easier/faster/less clicks to use roAudioPlayer as the queue.

This is a fatal flaw in the 7.5.x firmware that roku needs to address. Ive made a post on roku developer forums about this problem, but so far no official comment from roku on it. Perhaps we need to rattle rokus chains harder and make a post in their general forum? The louder the noise the harder it is for them to avoid commenting. The work-arounds suggested are not viable, and roku needs to fix their damn firmware bugs.

Edited by speechles

ashbinder

Thanks for reply!  I looked at your link in the Roku forum and will see if I can downgrade my Roku Streaming Stick.  If I can and it fixes the problem, guess it confirms it...I'll keep this thread updated as I progress.

Thanks again,

Mike

Any luck with this issue Mike?

I've been suffering the same problem for a few weeks now, my music files will play for a few seconds and then just suddenly stop when using the Emby for Roku app, and as you say the Roku Media Player app plays the music files back just fine!

ebr pointed me in the direction of your post via my post which is why I ask. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43351-roku-emby-app-cant-playback-music-but-the-roku-media-player-can/

Update: Ok so whilst I was waiting for some replies to my problem I swapped my 'System' folder from C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server for the 'system.old' folder that I had a backup of. I then restarted Emby and it did a database 'upgrade' and I re-scanned my media library and all the songs that didn't work before now suddenly work again!!!!

Does any of this make sense to any of the devs as to what the problem could be?