Crash upon opening AVI files

Disorganise
Go to solution Solved by Disorganise,

Disorganise

Hi all.

Recently upgraded to MB3 after using MB2 for some time for movies only.

I've set up MB classic (3.0.117) and have been using it to watch some TV shows. MKV's worked fine but AVI's cause the whole media centre to crash and restart.

I'm running windows 7 with a variety of software installed as I'm still searching for the perfect htpc: plex, media portal, total media theatre (for blu ray), media centre control (android app to control WMC), my movies and of course MB3 classic.

as soon as I select play within MBC I get media centre has encountered a problem and will restart.

what I've tried......

playing in plex to prove files not corrupt..worked fine and is my work around for the other half.

removed anything that said codec and installed the latest LAV [0.61 iirc] and set up per the link elsewhere in this forum (with xx split and some preference setting tool....sorry, my memory isn't so hot but I wanted to get a thread started so I might have some things to try when I get home from work).

removed my movies (wasn't really using it anyway and MB3 has the actors info)

installed MBT to try.

result: MBC still crashed upon selecting play. MBT plays the file fine.

I checked the file with media info and found it is divx5 if that makes any difference?

thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.

Sounds like a codec problem with WMC or with the specific content of those files (like their subtitle streams or something).  WMC is crashing as opposed to us it sounds like.

Is there an error in your Windows Event log?  Have you tried playing these same files through the standard WMC interface?

Disorganise

Haven't checked event log nor playing via WMC direct. I can try in when I get home from work tonight (I'm in Australia so starting the day now)

Cheesegeezer

Haven't checked event log nor playing via WMC direct. I can try in when I get home from work tonight (I'm in Australia so starting the day now)

Can you do me a favour and download a tool called GraphStudio Linky Here

Drag and drop in a media file into the big grey space under all the icons and post up a screen shot.

That will tell you exactly what filters are being used with your system when you play a media file.  it sounds like there are some conflicts and may require you to either uninstall or demerit some filters.

Disorganise

Curious.... Right clicking a file and playing via the Windows Media Player works ok.  Right clicking and playing via Windows Media Centre causes WMC to load and then crash.  So I guess this means ebr is correct and it's WMC that's broken :(

Eventlog has this error:

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd053
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Screenshot of the GraphStudio output as requested:

52e77e6704854_Graphstudio.jpg

It is your codecs that are broken.  Guessing you are on 64bit windows and, when you play through media player it is using 64bit codecs.  WMC, however, is a 32bit app so it will use a different set of codecs and that is the problem.  You may or may not have installed or configured the 32bit codecs properly.

Cheesegeezer

It is your codecs that are broken. Guessing you are on 64bit windows and, when you play through media player it is using 64bit codecs. WMC, however, is a 32bit app so it will use a different set of codecs and that is the problem. You may or may not have installed or configured the 32bit codecs properly.

Other way around.

@@Disorganise

WMC is 64bit on 64bit systems, i'm pretty sure that the default windows media player is 32bit. One way to check is right click on the wmp shortcut select properties and see where the "location" points to. I think you'll find it points to programfiles(x86).

Have you installed 64bit lav filters?

Hope that helps

• Solution
Disorganise

Fixed it!
Re-installed LAV but made no difference.
I fired up the codec preference tool thing and tried disabling the 64 bit Microsoft foundation for .AVI and voila.

Not really sure what I've done to know if it will cause issues elsewhere?

52eb6fb49fcd4_Foundation.jpg

Edit:  Added above screenshot to show what I ticked to fix my problem - as reference to others that might run into similar.  This from the Win7DSFilterTweaker_5.9.exe, Media Foundation button

Edited by Disorganise
  • Like 1