Hide thumbnails for unwatched episodes

mythofechelon

mythofechelon

I was just looking at the episode list of Hannibal season 3 to see how many episodes there were left and saw some major spoilers in the thumbnails which made me think that it would be a good idea if there was an option to hide thumbnails for unwatched episodes

Thanks.

• Like 10

GoldFiNNger

I agree. The Kodi player allows this feature already, and is available in the skins settings of certain custom skins (if you don't want to go through the trouble of manually configuring it.

Try the Cirrus Ex skin in the meantime, and you should see the option to enable this feature under the skin's specific settings section (subsection named "settings" in the Appearance section of Kodi's Settings).

funwithmedia

I'm brand new to Emby, but does the feature in Emby Theater (Windows Desktop) under Settings -> Default Skin -> "Enable Anti-Spoiler Features (hide details for episodes beyond the first unwatched)" do what you want/need? It seems like in theory that should be aiming for what you're wanting.

• Like 1

I'm brand new to Emby, but does the feature in Emby Theater (Windows Desktop) under Settings -> Default Skin -> "Enable Anti-Spoiler Features (hide details for episodes beyond the first unwatched)" do what you want/need? It seems like in theory that should be aiming for what you're wanting.

Yes but only in Theater, and only on the season screen. What he's asking for is a universal feature throughout all the apps, and I think it's a nice idea.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
adam1010

Yes I hate the spoilers from episode images/thumbnails too! I'd prefer to only see them after an episode has been marked as Watched (and before that it should act is if there is no image to load and show a default).

But since that feature doesn't exist, my nuclear option was to setup Emby not to download episode thumbnails at all.  You can do this by:

Server Manager > Library > Metadata > Select "Episodes" from the "Customize for  media type" dropdown > Deselect "Primary" in the "Image Settings" section > Save & Restart

Emby will stop downloading episode spoiler images going forward, but they will still exist for your current episodes. If anyone knows a way to clear out the existing ones without doing it manually, please let me know. I've tried deleting the metadata folder but it regenerates.  (I was finally able to accomplish deleting all episode images, but it required writing a custom script to use the API)

Edited by adam1010

• 2 years later...
Detail4687

Server Manager > Library > Metadata > Select "Episodes" from the "Customize for  media type" dropdown > Deselect "Primary" in the "Image Settings" section > Save & Restart

do you know where this option is in the newest version of Emby?  Thanks

Happy2Play

do you know where this option is in the newest version of Emby?  Thanks

Well you are disabling the ability to get episode images, but go to each TV library (Dashbaord-Library) and enable Show Advanced settings and scroll down to Episode image fetchers and disable each provider.

Only applies to new media.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

daedalus

Yes but only in Theater, and only on the season screen. What he's asking for is a universal feature throughout all the apps, and I think it's a nice idea.

2 years and nor any progress in uniforming this, nor any hint in realizing this "nice idea" here and to top it all, anti spoiler feature was completely removed from ET

I think it is a great idea for the future - as a unified setting shared by all apps and not built for just a single app.

Detail4687

Well you are disabling the ability to get episode images, but go to each TV library (Dashbaord-Library) and enable Show Advanced settings and scroll down to Episode image fetchers and disable each provider.

Only applies to new media.

Thanks. I'm simply trying to avoid tv episode thumbnails from being generated.

Wondertje

Was just about to make a thread about this, glad I searched first. Yes - I want this! Sometimes there are major spoilers in the thumbnails. I currently just try to avoid looking at them, it works but it's inconvenient.

• 3 months later...

Is there any progress on this?

Even just putting "next up" for a show on it's homepage in a text list would be a lot better than now.

Now if you go into a show page you see like 6 episodes worth of thumbnails which could spoil far into the future.

daedalus

just a couple weeks for the 3rd birthday of another useful and easy to implement (just simply let us blur episode thumb and text) feature request  :(

Edited by daedalus

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 8:45 PM, 7ony said:

Still no solution?

Not yet, sorry, but more options are possible for future updates. Thanks.

• 10 months later...
amb13

Any updates on this?

Like just replace the episode image with thumb or backdrop for unwatched episodes (like it actually is on the front page for continue watching). Would also be good to hide the episode summary for unwatched episodes aswell.

Hi, not yet, sorry, but it's something we still think is a good idea for the future. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Can this get priortized into an upcoming release? @Luke

I'm not sure what needs to be done to make this a reality, but it's been pretty upsetting accidentally seeing spoilers.

rbjtech

So as a quick proof of concept - this is not that hard to do - I think it's just a matter of 'getting to it' with the other workloads.

The correct way to do this is just to apply the Blur filter to the displayed chapter images output - you would not want to do this for OSD  thumbnail images.

However, as I don't have access to the core code (lol), I did a quick mock up :-

I created two bif files - one using the standard extraction method -

ProcessRun 'quick-extract-imageseries' Execute: C:\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -f matroska -threads 1 -skip_interval 10 -copyts -i file:"\\media\Films 4K\Skyfall (2012)\Skyfall (21012) - Remux-2160p DV HDR DTS HD-MA.mkv" -an -sn -vf "scale=w=320:h=180,format=yuv420p,eq=contrast=0.9:gamma=0.95:saturation=1.8" -vsync cfr -r 0.1 -f image2 "C:\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\temp\3a8d625cb40644ccae35efba883e2967\img_%05d.jpg"

and a second using the ffmpeg Gaussian Blur feature to Blur the image ..

ProcessRun 'quick-extract-imageseries' Execute: C:\Emby-Server\system\ffmpeg.exe -f matroska -threads 1 -skip_interval 10 -copyts -i file:"\\media\Films 4K\Skyfall (2012)\Skyfall (21012) - Remux-2160p DV HDR DTS HD-MA.mkv" -an -sn -vf "gblur=sigma=100:steps=1,scale=w=320:h=180,format=yuv420p,eq=contrast=0.9:gamma=0.95:saturation=1.8" -vsync cfr -r 0.1 -f image2 "C:\Emby-Server\programdata\cache\temp\3a8d625cb40644ccae35efba883e2967\img_%05d.jpg"

The only extra bit is "gblur=sigma=100:steps=1"

Result :

So if watched status = No (and you have set this as a per user / library option I'm presuming) - then you get to see the blurred chapter files :

blur.thumb.PNG.c903659cb8f491c709791e3dcf1c2ad7.PNG

If watched status = Yes - then you get to see the normal chapter files :

noblur.thumb.PNG.179cebf7e0eabcafe8f4a2cb787f1d07.PNG

There will be some work involved to ensure the cached versions don't show.  

If there is only a single user, then you could maybe fudge it and just swap around the bif files once the film/show is played - but that is very clunky ...

Edited by rbjtech

I would think we would just use the series thumb in this case instead of trying to do something like blur...

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

I would think we would just use the series thumb in this case instead of trying to do something like blur...

That would look pretty ugly imo ..  repeated images are not nice to look at.

Alternatively, don't show the chapters row at all if you have the 'no spoiler' option turned on. 

After all, why would anybody want to jump to a chapter on a show they have not seen before ?

Edited by rbjtech