Trouble Playing Transcoded Content

de0x3

Greetings All,

First off, I would like to commend the group for the great support that is consistently provided to this forum.  Having spent some time searching on the issue I'm experiencing I've been wowed by just how much the community gives back to those in need of assistance.  The ongoing efforts for Emby, Emby for Roku, Blue Neon Night are just fantastic.  Keep up the great work and Kudos.

Secondly, I've noticed a degradation in playable content over time when trying to play media via Emby for Roku.  The common thread appears to be content that is not available for DirectPlay and requires transcoding which I seem to be requiring more of as time goes on.  The transcoding is required due to my inability to play 5.1 content and need to remux the stream down to 2.1 as I do not have a device do the work for me.

My current setup is a Roku 2 4210X running the latest firmware (7.5.0 b4099-04 at the time of writing) with Emby services provided via the FreeNAS plugin updated to the current plugin release (3.1.0 at the time of writing).  I've attempted to play the transcoded content via both the release and beta versions of the Emby for Roku App, as well as the Blue Neon Night app and appear to have the same trouble across all three.  I've also upped the Video Quality setting to 30Mbps to rule out any issues related to that (if any).  This didn't appear to have any effect.

Tailing the server log, I can observe the Roku requesting the .m3u8 link and Emby responding with a 200.  A short while later the Roku times out and returns to the movie menu (timeout confirmed by Blue Neon Night debug logs).  It appears that transcoding doesn't happen here as there are no logs to support that FFMpeg is doing any work, which is interesting as I initially thought there might be a resource issue with FreeNAS.  I've confirmed that the .m3u8 links are valid and playable via VLC.  Playing the content here does start the transcode; this appear to be working as expected here.

Sorry for the lengthy read!  If there's anything else I can provide or try, let me know.  I really don't know what else to do in order to play this content outside of purchasing a receiver to convert 5.1 to PCM Stereo.

Hello Luke,

Thank you very much for getting back to me.  I unfortunately do not have corresponding ffmpeg logs from the playback attempt using Emby for Roku; however, I do have ffmpeg logs from a test I was doing against the same content using VLC to stream a link that was provided in the attached server log.

Thank you!

emby-server-log.txt

emby-ffmpeg-remux-log.txt

Yes, absolutely.  The server log attached includes the failed playback.  The ffmpeg attachment is the same file, but a successful playback using VLC.

Ok unfortunately i have not seen this problem before on the Roku. I'm going to ask you to install the zip version, which you can get here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8001-emby-for-roku-channel/

Once you have the zip version, you can follow the instructions here to obtain logs from the app:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/16251-how-to-obtain-a-log-from-the-emby-roku-client/

I'd like to see what's going on in the app. Thanks !

Happy2Play

Is this a ffmpeg issue or the specific video issue?  Does this happen with other videos?

appear multiple times in remux log

[dca @ 0x80a4e1f20] Overread auxiliary data by 32 bits
[dca @ 0x80a4e1f20] error decoding block
Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input

Is this a ffmpeg issue or the specific video issue?  Does this happen with other videos?

appear multiple times in remux log

[dca @ 0x80a4e1f20] Overread auxiliary data by 32 bits
[dca @ 0x80a4e1f20] error decoding block
Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input

Well his ffmpeg log is from vlc. on roku ffmpeg never starts.

Hello all,

I've sideloaded the Development version of Emby for Roku onto my device and captured the following log via Telnet.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Thanks again!

emby-debug-log.txt

Greetings Luke,

Just checking back on whether I can supply any further information or if there is anything that I can test to assist with troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you!

@@de0x3 you should have received a private message (PM) with instructions as to how you can help troubleshoot this. Thanks !

Is your roku set to stereo in system settings(audio/hdmi)? Does this happen with dts(dca)->mp3? What if you "force directstream" with the blue neon app? It should play but without sound? Just making sure the native file is playable by the roku directly. It should be as your lack of dts(no surround aound) is what caused the transcoding.

In the blue neon app you can choose what is used when transcoding too. For stereo you can choose either AAC or MP3 on the audio settings. Choose AAC and see if you get different results. Make sure both default audio and unknown audio are AAC. Is a transcode log created now?

The blue neon app reads audio decode info max channels for each codec from the device its used on. This makes it different depending on each roku model used on. You should be able to solve this by playing with the blue neon preferences. You sound like you were already doing that but just needed a nudge in the right direction.

In the "device info" screen, scroll to the bottom, see where audio decode info is? AAC 6:0:0:1 means AAC has 6 channel support and the 1 on the end means if it must pass through or not. MP3 2:0:0:0. It is the roku decoding MP3 2 channel in that case, the 0 at the end means this does not pass through.

Hopefully you can figure this now. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Additionally please make sure you're running the latest version of Emby Server, 3.1.2. Thanks !

Greetings All,

Thank you for all your assistance with this!

@@Luke - Thank you!  I've responded to the PM and would be glad to assist!  Also, I'm currently on 3.1.0 awaiting for the FreeNAS plugin to be updated to the latest version.  As soon as it is released I will update and report back on any changes.

@@speechles - This is great, thank you!  To answer your questions: 

Is your roku set to stereo in system settings(audio/hdmi)?

Yes, the Roku device settings are set to PCM/Stereo.

Does this happen with dts(dca)->mp3?

Yes, playing movies that require transcoding with either AAC or MP3 set do not play correctly.

What if you "force directstream" with the blue neon app?

Forcing DirectStream using Blue Neon does play the movie, but still no audio.

Choose AAC and see if you get different results. Make sure both default audio and unknown audio are AAC. Is a transcode log created now?

No, unfortunately.  Actually, I had previously set both settings to AAC while testing.  I had set them both back to MP3, attempted a playback, then back to AAC and attempted a playback again; both attempts resulted in a failed playback (timeout) without generating a transcode log.

In the "device info" screen, scroll to the bottom, see where audio decode info is? AAC 6:0:0:1 means AAC has 6 channel support and the 1 on the end means if it must pass through or not. MP3 2:0:0:0. It is the roku decoding MP3 2 channel in that case, the 0 at the end means this does not pass through.

I'm not sure whether this is interesting or not, but both MP3 and AAC have 2:0:0:0 listed under "Device Info".

Also, I'm currently on 3.1.0 awaiting for the FreeNAS plugin to be updated to the latest version. 

Is it not already up to date?  Seems to me like this could be the root of the whole issue...

No, it doesn't appear to be.  When checking for updates to the plugin the most recent version available is still 3.1.0.

Happy2Play

So that would mean that your OS server version has not been updated to the current release.

Hello Happy2Play!

I'm currently running 9.10.2 which is the latest release in the current FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE train.  Unless I switch to the 9.10 nightly build train there isn't another update I can apply.  I was reading up on the FreeNAS plugin and it's typical for the plugin release to lag behind the current release by a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Greetings All,

I installed 3.1.2 into a separate BSD jail within FreeNAS and was able to get Emby up without issue following the guide on the Wiki.  After installing, I attempted to play back the same movie again and received the same timeout error (this happened in both the Emby for Roku app, as well as Blue Neon) - it again appears as though the Roku doesn't attempt to play back the file, and eventually gives up without starting the remux.  I confirmed the link is valid by playing it in VLC which does successfully play the movie and remuxes the audio stream.  The most recent server log is attached.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide or try.

Thanks!

emby-server-log-20170108-2.txt

Happy2Play

So does media that doesn't need transcoding play properly?

2017-01-08 13:46:34.4573 Error HttpServer: Error processing request *** Error Report *** Version: 3.1.2.0 Command line: /usr/local/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe -programdata /var/db/emby-server Operating system: Unix 10.3.0.0 64-Bit OS: True 64-Bit Process: True Mono: 4.6.2 (Stable 4.6.2.7/08fd525 Thu Jan 5 01:49:23 UTC 2017) Processor count: 2 Program data path: /var/db/emby-server Application directory: /usr/local/lib/emby-server System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file. System.IO.FileNotFoundException No Stack Trace Available

Focus on this part paricularly...

-ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe

Do ffmpeg and ffprobe exist at these paths? It appears not by the error.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So does media that doesn't need transcoding play properly?

Yes, anything that is DirectPlay or DirectStream plays just fine in any app, it's only the items that need transcoding that do not play with the Emby for Roku app.

Focus on this part paricularly...

-ffmpeg /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/bin/ffprobe

Do ffmpeg and ffprobe exist at these paths? It appears not by the error.

I thought that was strange also.  I verified the paths and can confirm that the programs exist in those locations:

root@emby_test:/usr/local/bin # ls -law ff*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  225384 Jan  6 23:03 ffmpeg
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  151232 Jan  6 23:03 ffprobe

You are using root, and the group appears to be wheel. Is the user the emby process runs under part of the wheel group?

root@emby_test:/usr/local/bin # groups emby
emby

The emby user isn't a member of the wheel group; however, all users have read and execute on those files.

Looking closer at that log, there's a reference to an index.bif that precedes the failure.  Could that be the cause of the exception?

2017-01-08 13:46:34.4548 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://<EMBY_SERVER>:8096/emby/Videos/5601c2a10f4c8c0eda0d5307200494b7/index.bif?width=320&mediaSourceId=5601c2a10f4c8c0eda0d5307200494b7. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-7.50 (047.50E04099A)